This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 50 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
April 17, 2019 at 9:16 am #3629023

ziga pipan

I'm constantly running into same problems and want to solve them for good.

I created a video for better understanding.

1. i go to divi library and translate a global module (footer2) from slovenian to english. it appears ok in the english divi library.
2. I go a page (privacy policy) and try to insert the library item, it says I have no items in library?!?!
3. I go to different page (special offer) and this time it does not show me an empty library, but it shows me the wrong one (slovenian).

here is the video
hidden link

I'm using latest wordpress with latest divi and latest wpml. I have the same problem on multiple sites.

April 17, 2019 at 11:06 am #3629929

Oscar Miras

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support team.

The WP memory limit needs to be increased. PHP memory is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/ but 256MB is the recommended value.

Can you please increase the memory limit to 256MB:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Add or change this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Please, also make sure you followed the steps to translate pages with global layouts in Divi theme: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/#translating-page-divi-builder

In case any of this solves the issue, could you try to reproduce the issue in a clean installation? To access the clean site please visit this link: hidden link

The idea is to upload there your theme and perform a minimal configuration in order to try to reproduce the problem. You don't have to rebuild all your site, just perform the minimal setup to reproduce the issue.

Thank you in advance,
Oscar.

April 17, 2019 at 11:12 am #3629993

ziga pipan

thanx.

I'm allready using 256MB.
hidden link

ziga

April 17, 2019 at 11:38 am #3630257

Oscar Miras

Hi Ziga,

Yes, your memory for PHP is fine, the problem is about the WordPress MAX Memory; which is the maximum memory that WordPress will be allowed to work. To execute WPML properly, it is recommended to be set to 256MB.

If it is not explicitly defined in wp-config.php is usually set to 40MB.

Could you check it, please?

Thank you,
Oscar.

April 17, 2019 at 12:32 pm #3630755

ziga pipan

unfortunately it did not help my case. I also tried your staging and encountered the same issue.
hidden link

April 17, 2019 at 3:37 pm #3632383

Oscar Miras

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reproduce the issue.
Let me have a look and I'll get back to you as soon as I have some results.

Thank you for your patience,
Oscar.

April 17, 2019 at 5:23 pm #3633387

Oscar Miras

Hi,

I think I understand the problem now.

The normal workflow to translate pages which contain custom layout is:

1. You create your custom layout in your default language
2. You translate the custom layout using the Translation Editor.

Then you create your page normally with Divi builder and you insert there your custom layout.

Then, it is mandatory that you use Translation Editor to translate the page to the second language as it is described here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/#translating-page-divi-builder

As long you want the same layout in both pages (original language and translated page); this is the correct workflow. You do not need to edit the translated layout in the second language.

Is this information clear? Is that what you were trying to achieve?

If it is not or there's still some questions, do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best wishes,
Oscar.

April 17, 2019 at 6:07 pm #3634179

ziga pipan

ok I understand, but this is not how it used to work in previous versions and I translated around 20 pages.

What if I want to insert the divi library item (in this footer) in the middle of the page? how do I insert it from library if it cannot be even found?

April 18, 2019 at 6:27 am #3636315

Oscar Miras

Hi,

As long as I understand, you are referring to the second question:

"2. I go a page (privacy policy) and try to insert the library item, it says I have no items in library?!?!"

You should be able to load it from Divi library.
I would like to ask you some few questions:

1. According to WPML documentation, you should also have activated WPML Translation Manager and WPML String Translation to properly work with WPML and Divi Builder. Please install and activate them before using WPML to translate content.
2. Are you using a Divi theme or it is one that you have developed yourself? I can't completely figure it out by your debug information.
3. As a test, could you try to deactivate all WPML plugins and try to load the footer in privacy policy page?

Let me know your results so we can work it out further.

Thank you,
Óscar.

April 18, 2019 at 8:45 am #3637421

ziga pipan

Sometime it says I have no items in my library, sometimes it shows me my primary language items, never the right one.

1. No, I'm not using strings translation ans translation manager. those two are really heavy and resources hungry plugins and seems a waste to me to use them as I do not have any translators and no strings to translate. I did however install them before I contacted you, just to be sure it does not work even with them installed.

2. I'm using a native divi theme.

3. I created a staging site, with no plugins activated, it does not help.

PS: it used to work fine few months ago.

April 18, 2019 at 11:46 am #3638895

Oscar Miras

Hi Ziga,

I understand your concern about memory usage. Nevertheless, it is known that multilingual sites need more memory to work that those which are not. However, you can follow some of these few tips to optimize the speed of your site: https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/

Having said so, the last version of WPML and Divi Builder do need to have active String Translation and Translation Manager, according to our compatibility team. This is the way to ensure the most compatibility quotas between Divi and WPML. Not following these recommendations may affect the way WPML works.

It is also possible that Divi and WPML workflow has changed with time. Divi team and WPML developers work closely to improve this workflow and compatibility between the two plugins.

Coming back to the second issue in your first message, I was not able to reproduce the issue in the Sandbox “2. I go a page (privacy policy) and try to insert the library item, it says I have no items in library?!?!”.
If you have a look in the sandbox page, the global layout “global footer eng” can be added in the FAQ page for the default language with no issues, even though the WPML plugins are active.

hidden link

Thus, I would like you to test it on your site:

Deactivate all the WPML plugins
Try to add de global footer to your Privacy Policy Page

If you already tried this in your site or in your staging site and still doesn’t work, the issue may not be related to WPML but to any other which will require further investigation; which I’ll be glad to assist.

Please, let me know your results.

Thank you,
Óscar.

April 18, 2019 at 1:41 pm #3639673

ziga pipan

Ok, so this is your sandbox site
hidden link

but after refreshing a couple of times, this is your sandbox, which is not ok again.
hidden link

after saving permalinks it's showing global footer eng on both sides, whic is not ok again.

I don't know what to think anymore. We are using the same version of divi, same version of wordpress, and same version of all 3 wpml plugins
hidden link

Hello, I believe my memory settings are just fine?
hidden link

I have all other plugins deactivated.

So this is what i found. If I enable this
hidden link
even your sandbox is not working ok
hidden link

funny thing is, if I disable this it's still not working for me.

I'm sensing it's something about classic translation editor...

thank you

April 19, 2019 at 3:51 pm #3647285

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Hi there, Oscar is off today, so I'm stepping in to help out. I just checked the Sandbox site and I can see that it is working correctly. One of the issues could be that when you are refreshing multiple times, if you have other site tabs open in a different language, this could cause the builder language to change. You must make sure that you edit first the default page. Then, use the admin language switcher at the top of the page to switch to Slovenian. Then, edit with the Divi Builder. With these steps, you see that you can add the Slo Footer.

Also, when you edit the page this way, you use the native WordPress page editor instead of the WPML editor.

Can you confirm that these are the steps you are taking?

April 23, 2019 at 10:20 am #3661983

ziga pipan

sorry, i was on little easter vacation.

yes, the way to use it, not refreshing and not useing multiple windows works on your site, but not on mine.

How did you create a global translated layout
hidden link

if I translate a layout here, it does not make it global?
hidden link

April 23, 2019 at 5:27 pm #3666467

Oscar Miras

Hi Ziga,

Welcome back, I was also in on little easter vacation.

Regarding your last comment:
if I translate a layout here, it does not make it global?
hidden link

It should be global. But take into account that as we previously discussed you are expected just to insert the template in the default language page. As long as that template is translated, it should be loaded when WPML loads the page for the second page.

If it is the case that you want a different layout for the translated version of the page, please tell me so, because the procedure is different.

Regarding the question:
Hello, I believe my memory settings are just fine?
hidden link;

You can check it in WPML > Support. In Info section all values should be in green colour.

Kind regards,
Oscar.