Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.91 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 11, 2017 at 6:13 pm #1398534

karenK-9

Hello,

I got a membership and I do not know when to use each method. I hope I will understand this part and I won't request for the refund.

Can you please tell me the difference between translation methods and when should them in Divi theme. Let's imagine I have a website with three languages. English, German and Arabic (TRL).

1) When should I use + icon to add a translation?
2) When should I use the duplicate page option to add a translation?
3) Can those two options be used on 1 website on different pages?

I'd like to get a general idea about the difference between those two options and cases when I should use those options in Divi.

Thanks

October 12, 2017 at 1:02 pm #1399209

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

When you want to show translated content in another language, you should use the "+" icon to translate your content.

Sometimes, you don't have the translations, but you still would like the page to exist in the secondary language, even if it displays the original language. In this case, you would want to use Duplicate. When you duplicate a page, the content will automatically sync between the default page and the new translated page. This means when you edit and save the original page, the content on the new translated page will be overwritten because it syncs the content with the original page. In order to save the changes you make on the translated page, you will need to tell the new page to stop syncing with the original.

To do this, open the translated version of the page. You will see a section at the top right titled “Language”. In the Language box it will say, “This document is a duplicate of “Page Name” and is maintained by WPML. Click the button that says “Translate Independently”, and now the Language box will show the language of the page and that it is a translation of the original. This page will now keep the content that you update and will not revert to the default when you save the default English version.

If you want to switch it back to being synced with the default language, there will be a button at the bottom of the “Languages” box which says “Overwrite with English content.” Click this, and it will reset the page back to the default language content and reactivate the syncing.

You can absolutely have any combination of "+" translated pages and duplicated pages within one site. Please let me know if you need any other assistance with this issue.

October 12, 2017 at 8:11 pm #1399646

karenK-9

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for the quick response.
If I understood you correctly, in my case with three languages English, German and Arabic I can do the following procedure.

1. For English and German, I can use + option to add the just translation. I do not need to duplicate pages because both Languages are Left To Right.
2. For Arabic languages I have to use duplicate page option so I can move sections around because Arabic Language is Right To Left.

In this case, I am using both ways of translations.

BUT!

3) If I want the Unique URLs for each language I have to duplicate each page for each language?

4) I am using Divi theme. Are there any restrictions in translations using Divi theme or everything the same as you described?

Thanks a lot

October 12, 2017 at 8:55 pm #1399672

Lauren
Supporter

Actually, the process will be the same whether the language is LTR or RTL. If you want to show the content in a language other than the default language, then you will want do it one of these ways:

1. Click Duplicate to create the translated page, then click the icon to edit the translation and click "Translate Independently". Now you can change the default language content to your translated content.

2. Use the "+" icon to create the translation and manually enter the translated content.

For further assistance, you can review the documentation for the Divi page builder here: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

October 13, 2017 at 2:40 am #1399751

karenK-9

Ok. Thanks a lot.

I think I will manage with it.
One more question.

Most like I will need the translation service you guys provide.

1. What is the easiest way to order the translations via + or duplicate page? I think there is no different, just asking in case there is a difference.
2. Where can I see the prices?
3) What if I do not like the translations at all. What are my options?

Do you have a short video on Youtube how to order and revise translations?

thanks

October 13, 2017 at 2:40 pm #1400454

Lauren
Supporter

Please review this documentation to determine the best way for you to translate your content:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

Also, you can go to WPML -> Translation Management -> Translation Dashboard and at the bottom of the page is a wordcount tool. The cost will vary depending on the translation service you choose.

October 20, 2017 at 12:11 am #1406609

karenK-9

Thank you!
I am still trying to figure the plugin out before moving to order translations.

I have some questions.

1) My manual translation will not be displayed until I get to 100% right?

2) If I translated manually (+ icon) then I can open a page click on Translate Independently and change some design and save my manual translation is gone completely or I can still use one of both translated versions?

Thanks

October 23, 2017 at 5:58 pm #1409161

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello, Lauren is off today but she will return tomorrow to continue debugging and update you here as soon as more information is available. Thanks for your patience.

October 23, 2017 at 9:31 pm #1409348

Lauren
Supporter

1) My manual translation will not be displayed until I get to 100% right?
- This is correct. It will show a round icon for "In Progress" if you have translated part of it, and then it will show a pencil icon once the translation is completed.

2) If I translated manually (+ icon) then I can open a page click on Translate Independently and change some design and save my manual translation is gone completely or I can still use one of both translated versions?
-If you translate manually, you will not have to click "Translate Independently". That button only shows up when you duplicate a page. However, you won't lose any content by clicking Translate Independently. It will just unsync the duplicate translate which means if you update the original page, the translation will not be updated. If you click "overwrite with original language content", then you will lose any previous translations and the content will be automatically synced to the original language content.

I hope this further explains it, but please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

October 24, 2017 at 6:14 am #1409501

karenK-9

Thank you for your help.

I am not sure if I understood you correctly regarding question #2.

I can click on + icon to add the translation manually. Then I can open a page from Pages section and click on Translate Independently. This is how your plugin works and this is very confusing. I just want to know what happens if I click on one option and then on then use the second option. Will I lose the translation and how can I go back if I want to.

I am sorry but this plugin is not user-friendly at all 🙁
Thanks

October 24, 2017 at 2:33 pm #1410219

Lauren
Supporter

You can click on the "+" icon to create the translation. There will not be an option to click "Translate Independently" if you click the "+" icon because the translation is already created independently. The only time you will see the "Translate Independently" button is if you check the box to create a Duplicate copy of the page, instead of clicking the "+" icon to translate independently.

If you Duplicate a page and then click Translate Independently, you will not lose any of your translations. However, if you have manually translated a page and then change it to Overwrite with original language, then you will lose the translated content.