Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Fabian J. 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
September 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm #2741014

Fabian J.

Hi!

Once upon a time:
I created a page in german, inserted text and some pics and published it.
Then I translated this page by clicking on the plus-sign.
Then I clicked on "Copy the content from German" with the duplicate-media-checkboxes activated.
-> WPML copied the content from German
I translated it to English and published it.
Afterwards I opened the WP-media-library with the pics for the english translation, changed the title- and alt-tags - and it was done: The english page showed alt- and title-Tags in English.
I loved it, my clients loved it: because the procedure was simple, let's say efficient.
=> I assume this times are over. Is this correct?

Nowadays:
I can still do the same... - but now an additional step is necessary: In every translation I have to insert the pics again...
Worse: Some of my clients sites have lot's of pics - and all have been translated. But now all the translated title- and alt-tags do not show anymore on the frontend; but they are still visible in the WP-media-library.
=> Do my clients really have to replace all their translated pics by hand?

I also tried the new Media Translation Module - but - to be honest - as far as I'm concerned, the statements in this regard are incomprehensible; I simply don't get it.
I would really appreciate it if you could provide me (and my clients) some help. We are all running the actual WordPress-Version and the actual version of Enfold.

Thanks
Fabian

September 18, 2018 at 4:22 pm #2745898

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello Fabian, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Please take a look at this article, it talks about the major changes in the new WPML Media Translator: https://wpml.org/pt-br/2018/06/important-changes-in-how-media-translation-works-since-wpml-4-0/

Please go to WPMl > Settings > Media Translation > How to handle media for new content, check all fields and click on "Apply". It should fix the "insert pictures again" step.

Many old Media Translator features have been moved to the WPML core. If the issue persist, please disable the WPML Media Translator plugin and test again.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego

September 24, 2018 at 7:49 pm #2761701

Fabian J.

Hello Diego

I am a little bit late, sorry.

Site A)
A 4-language-site with 1600 pics which have been translated via WP-media-library:
I reinstalled media translation - the issue was fixed and I was even able to translate existing pics via WP-media-library(!).
BUT:Added a new page with a new pic, translated the page, then
- translated the pic via media translation -> din't work.
- translated the pic via WP-media-library -> didn't work.
In both cases only german alt- and title-tags are shown.

Site B)
Work in progress: German Version with pics finished.
- Deactivated media translation, then reactivated it. -> Was able to translate the already uploaded pics with media translation.
BUT: Added a new page with a new pic, translated the page, translated the pic via media translation -> didn't work. Only german alt- and title-tags are shown.

Site A + B
de- and reactivated plugins, reinstalled plugins etc., tried the same Website on different hostings -> no change

Bizarre(?) - and I do still need assistance.

Thank you.

Fabian

September 25, 2018 at 12:22 pm #2763697

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

The right way to translate the media is through the WPML > Media Translation menu.

Are you using the Translation Editor or the Manual Editor to translate the pages? If you use the Translation Editor, it's also possible to translate the title/alt tags through the Translation Screen of the page (see screenshot). If you translate using this mode, the issue still persist?

Kind regards,
Diego

September 27, 2018 at 8:25 am #2769737

Fabian J.

Good morning, Diego

As far as I'm concerned WPML doesn't work any more. The only way I am able to translate the images' title- and alt-texts is by translating them via the WP-media-library and replacing them manually in the specific translations.

In other words: the once quick and clean workflow for self-translators - translating pages with the WP-editor, then translating images in the WP-media-library - has been destroyed. Should I wonder why..?

I tested WPML on two different hostings. I've tested manual translation and the classic translation editor. Even the last one does not work - the translated pics' title- and alt-tags do not show up.
Funny: on one hosting the classical translation editor showed me all the avia-framework-tags on the other none of them.

Anyway:
As new sites are concerned I will translate them as described above, adding one more step: reinsert the pics manually in every translation. It's less efficent as it was before, but at the very least it's working.
For existing sites - where the translated title- and alt-texts have showed up once but do not show any more - well, I really do not like to think about retranslating some thousand pics with Media Translation never knowing if this time the tool will do do its job.

To come to the conclusion:
Maybe it's me who is doing something wrong. Maybe it's WPML. I do not know. But what I know is that changing something that's worked well for years is not always the best of the good ideas. And as a matter of fact: something changed within WPML.

I've run out of ideas what else to to. I hope you do not because I would be really happy if you could me provide with a solution.

Thanks
Fabian

September 27, 2018 at 5:19 pm #2771345

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hello Fabian,

Could you send us the credentials of this site where the media fields are not displayed in the Translation Editor? This way I can check if there is any incorrect configuration and do some testing.

If possible, please create a page of these with some media so that I can check.

I have enabled the private field for the credentials.

Kind regards,
Diego

September 28, 2018 at 12:48 pm #2773839

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks! I did the following test:
- Go to WPML > Settings > How to translate posts and pages and set it to use the "Classic Translation Editor"
- Go to Pages > All Pages and create a new page
- Add a new media to that page and save
- Translate the page. The media fields are displayed on the translation editor (see screenshot)

This is the default behavior, apparently working correctly. Is there any other step I can do to reproduce the issue? If so, just let me know and I will take a look.

Kind Regards,
Diego

September 28, 2018 at 2:01 pm #2774144

Fabian J.

Hi there

I see: Pics inserted into the normal WP-Editor will be translated with WPML Classic Translation Editor. No problem.

But I'm working with a site editor: Enfold - which should be compatible with WPML => https://wpml.org/de/theme/enfold/.

Conclusion: Enfold is having compatibility problems with WPML Translation Manager:
- translated sites not showing up in Menü Editor
- pics in Enfold-pic-elements not translated
- avia-framework-html is showing up in WPML translation manager

I will adress the Enfold-Team - unless you have a better idea..?

Thanks, Diego.

Kind regards.
Fabian

September 28, 2018 at 6:57 pm #2774712

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

I added the image using the media element of the Enfold builder and apparently it worked. Is there any other media element that I should test?

Regarding the other issue, this is our workflow for compatibility issues:
- Reproduce the issue on a clean install (The credentials are from a new clean installation, correct? If yes, we already have this step 🙂 )
- Test to find a workaround
- If no solution is found, forward it to our compatibility team, who will do a few more tests and get in touch with the author in case we need to work together.

Could you give me more details about these other issues? I will take a look We need a ticket for each different issue. but I can split this ticket into more parts to speed up. For this, please send the details of each issue in a different answer in this topic.

Kind regards,
Diego

October 11, 2018 at 12:14 pm #2808057
Fabian J.

Hi Diego

Thank you for your assistance.

I am sorry, but actually I have a lot of work to do and unfortunately no time to pursue all the difficulties with due diligence. Except this: avia-framework-tags are showing up in WPML translation manager. Can these be hidden?

Kind regards,
Fabian

New threads created by Diego Pereira and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-avia-framework-tags-are-showing-up-in-wpml-translation-manager-enfold/

October 11, 2018 at 5:45 pm #2809342

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

As this si a different issue, I will open a new ticket for this new one.

I will reply in the new ticket.

Regards,
Diego

October 15, 2018 at 4:27 am #2816240

Fabian J.

My issue is not yet resolved. But due to a lack of time I will open a different thread later. Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Fabian