This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
September 8, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4531407

Willem-Siebe

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Trying to understand where the option "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" in Theme and plugins localization is usefull for.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

No, because I can't find any. Suggestion to add this to the Getting Started Guide and add a 'questionmark' with more info behind this option in WP backend.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

Second question is: my default language is Dutch, second language is English. According to this support ticket (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/option-assume-that-the-original-language-of-all-strings-is-english-outgrayed/) this option should be outgrayed, but in my installation I can still enable this option. How is that possible?

What is the link to your site?

Not online yet, working on localhost.

September 9, 2019 at 4:10 pm #4538849

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

The option "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" is useful for performance. It can be activated for websites that have a primary language different than English. Because most plugins and themes have strings registered in English.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

September 10, 2019 at 6:56 pm #4548353

Willem-Siebe

Hi Jamal,

This does not answer the question what the option actually does.

My primary language is Dutch, so other than English.

Question asked in original post (not answered yet): according to this support ticket (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/option-assume-that-the-original-language-of-all-strings-is-english-outgrayed/) this option should be outgrayed, but in my installation I can still enable this option. How is that possible? (Now also added picture).

Second question, I don't understand what this option does. I checked the languages of all domains in String Translation, and all of them are already English. So why does the option "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" excist when the original language of strings is already English? See other image where you can see language for one of the domains (WP), but all of them have English as current source language.

Kind regards,

Willem-Siebe

September 11, 2019 at 11:55 am #4553175

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Jamal is off for few days. I will be helping you on this.

What is the exact use of "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" ?
- it improves the performance

How does this improve the performance ?
- this says to the WPML that all the strings in theme and plugins are in English.
- So WPML will NOT check your database every time.
- so your site gets fast.
- This also says to the WPML the admin texts are in English
- So WPML will NOT check that as well
- So your site gets faster.

Second question is: my default language is Dutch, second language is English. According to this support ticket (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/option-assume-that-the-original-language-of-all-strings-is-english-outgrayed/) this option should be outgrayed, but in my installation I can still enable this option. How is that possible?
- this is unusual.
- you should be NOT be able to use this option if your primary language is English.
- Please open a new ticket for this to avoid the confusion and to reduce the waiting time.

Regards,
Riffaz.