This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 30, 2019 at 11:24 am #4307159

Tom

hi there,

when we switch the language, it does not link to the corresponding secondary language pages but always back to the home page of the language you have selected.

besides, the simplified chinese flag in the admin panel is missing.

any idea? thanks in advance.

br,
tom

July 30, 2019 at 5:05 pm #4309829

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- Please describe the steps to reproduce the issue.

2.- I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Kind regards,
Carlos

July 31, 2019 at 12:18 pm #4314235

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Tom,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

I re-saved the permalink structure and the issue seems to be gone. Could you confirm that the issue is solved?

Regards,
Carlos

August 2, 2019 at 4:59 am #4326865

Tom

hi carlos, thanks for your reply.

i saved the permalink thing twice but the problem persists. dont know if we are on the same wavelength. let me reiterate the issue below.

i am now on our people's page in english. i then click on the traditional chinese character on the top right hand corner. i am supposed to see the corresponding our people's page in traditional chinese. however, instead what i see is the home page in traditional chinese.

besides, the simplified traditional chinese flag (china flag) is missing. both the traditional chinese flag (hong kong flag) and english (british flag) are there.

any idea? thank you for your efforts again.

br,
tom

August 2, 2019 at 12:16 pm #4329913

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Tom,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

This is curious because I can see the 'Our people' page correctly (see attached image). I suspect that you might be seeing an outdated cache memory. Please visit the site on incognito mode and let me know if the issue persists?

Regards,
Carlos

August 2, 2019 at 12:52 pm #4330099

Tom

hi carlos, thank you for your responsiveness.

dont think we are on the same wavelength. its not that i dont see the our people page in traditional chinese!!! no offense but please do read between the lines. let me make myself clear.

I AM SUPPOSED TO SEE:
1. i am now on hidden link
2. i click on the language switcher
3. i see hidden link

BUT INSTEAD I SEE:
1. i am now on hidden link
2. i click on the language switcher
3. i see hidden link

br,
tom

August 2, 2019 at 5:08 pm #4331719

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Tom,
I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly in my previous message.

When I am in hidden link and switch to 繁 I get redirected to hidden link

I don't get redirected to the homepage in Chinese. That's why I asked you to check if the issue persisted in incognito mode.

Regards,
Carlos

August 3, 2019 at 9:55 am #4334271

Tom

hi carlos, thanks for clearing things up.

take a look at the screen capture attached. you can see that i am using chrome incognito. i was on the company profile page but if i clicked on the language switcher as you can see from the hover text, this time it brought me to the our people page instead of the home page.

then i experimented a bit and found that whatever english page i am on now every time i click on the language switch, it will in fact bring me to the previous page that i have just visited on the secondary language. below is an example.

1. on english company profile
2. click on switcher
3. on chinese our people
4. click on switcher
5. on english our people
6. click on english our business
7. on chinese our people

try it out to see if you get what i got. thanks a lot for your help!

br,
tom

August 5, 2019 at 12:39 pm #4340595

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Tom,

In this case please follow this steps:
- Go to WPML -> Languages -> Activate the Ajax cookie option -> Save the changes.
- Re-save the permalink structure.

Does the issue persists?

Regards,
Carlos

August 6, 2019 at 6:45 am #4344447

Tom

hi carlos,

thanks for your suggestions which i followed as attached but it does not work even on incognito let alone the normal window.

i m just wondering if it works for you.

br, tom

August 6, 2019 at 11:09 am #4346683

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Tom,
Yes, I still can see the issue.

In this case I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Update all outdated plugins.
- Flush any cache memory that might exists.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

Regards,
Carlos