This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: My second language domain redirects to the first one with a 301 redirect

Solution: WPML does not create redirects, so you should figure out why this happens.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by alexanderV-36 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
July 5, 2019 at 1:59 am

alexanderV-36

I am trying to set up tripleagentdigitalmedia.com to be different domain per language - the .com domain will be for USA, and another domain (tripleagentmedia.ca) will be for Canadian English.

When I went to the .ca domain, I expected it to land there and show the Canadian version.

Instead, the .ca 301-redirects to the .com domain (USA version), no matter what I do.

I pointed the .ca domain to web host nameservers and set it up as a parked domain in cPanel per instructions. Browser language redirect is disabled.

Since the http:// version of .ca redirects to https:// BEFORE going to the .com domain, I can confirm the nameserver change has already propagated and it's a server-side error.

Can you please inspect & identify the origin of the unwanted 301 redirect? WP plugin? Hidden FTP setting? Perhaps something in the .htaccess? etc.

July 5, 2019 at 10:44 am #4150413

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

WPML doesn't create redirects, so I'm not sure how we can help you with this. From your debug information I see you have the plugin "Simple 301 redirects", did you check that? Also Yoast manage them.

July 13, 2019 at 2:12 am #4202053

alexanderV-36

Hey Laura, thanks for your prompt reply.

I have never set up the Simple 301 Redirects plugin to redirect from one domain to another - and yet that's what's happening.

I tried disabling both the 301 plugin and Yoast. Neither helped. The .ca domain still redirects to .com, which I don't want.

What else could be causing this? PHP? .htaccess? Hidden DNS record that I'm not aware of?

P.S. If this helps - I am routing the .com domain through Namecheap PremiumDNS, but I'm not doing the same for the .ca domain. Hence, while both go to the same hosting, the nameservers on each are different.

July 13, 2019 at 10:42 am #4203287

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

it could be any one of that, but in any case, this is not related to WPML.

July 29, 2019 at 5:06 pm #4302383

alexanderV-36

It looks like this support is no "support," even though I paid for it.

I traced the 301 and found that WordPress itself is causing it.

Since you have all my credentials, do you have the ability to go into all of my accounts and trace the EXACT origin of the 301 redirect so I can stop tripleagentmedia.ca from redirecting once & forever?

If you can't do that, I'd love to be escalated to an expert. I would be happy to discuss with your support people.