This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by christopheG-9 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
March 22, 2019 at 7:47 am #3438189

christopheG-9

I'm on a fresh install of WPML + Elementor Pro + Astra Pro and i'd like translated pages to keep their layout.

I understand that in Custom Fields Translation, some fields need to be set to Copy. The problem is i've only read this from users and have not found clear guideline from either WPML, Elementor or Astra as to :

exactly which fields need to be set to copy, and which must remain as Don't translate?

Yes i've been on elementor and astra forums, and wpml tickets, but found no clear information.

March 22, 2019 at 1:54 pm #3440885

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

If you are looking to set the translation rule for the layout. Please go to WPML > Settings > Custom fields translation and search for layout, For Astra, you will see site_layout, sidebar_layout you can change the site_layout translation preference if it is already set to copy then change to translate and change back to copy.

However, the above translation rule will be applied only if the Page is translated using WPML translation editor the layout is copied by default to the translation.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind regards
Raja

April 10, 2019 at 11:51 am #3575713

christopheG-9

Thank you Raja.
But i'd still need to understand:

- Should i also look for Elementor items in WPML > Settings > Custom fields, such as _elementor_css or _elementor_data and set them to copy?

- If a line has the wrong type in WPML > Settings > Custom fields, or Custom Term Meta Translation, or Post Types Translation, or Taxonomies Translation, will this corrupt my database, or is it just causing surface inconsistencies? I'm using Woocommerce and want to avoid having the wrong settings and having to re-install because of this.

April 10, 2019 at 2:05 pm #3577083

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

Please share the temporary access to your site, I will check the issue for you. I have enabled private fields for you to securely share the details. Also, let me know the URL of the page where the layout is not copied in the translation.

I don't understand your second issue. Do you mean any misconfiguration will cause any data loss? Changes in WPML > Settings translation rule for Post, taxonomies can always be changed and revered there won't be any issues.

Kind regards
Raja

April 20, 2019 at 2:25 pm #3650357

christopheG-9

My questions are not site specific Raja. I might be speaking for me and other site admins trying to remove the guesswork out of the set up of custom fields.

My questions are:

- Should Elementor users look for Elementor items in WPML > Settings > Custom fields, such as _elementor_css or _elementor_data and set them to copy?
- For any theme, with or without Elementor: exactly which fields need to be set to copy, and which must remain as Don't translate?

Thank you if you can help.

April 22, 2019 at 5:44 am #3653941

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

If you are using Elementor then the Elementor specific custom fields are already handled by default in WPML you don't need to do anything much here.

Though the question is not site specific but theme specific, Most of the compatible theme custom fields are handled by WPML if there is an issue we try to fix it by logging in to their site and report to the client about the fixes made.

In short, the user doesn't need to do much work here. The setup is handled by WPML and the theme.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
Raja

July 5, 2019 at 9:18 am #4149529

christopheG-9

Thank you for your previous tips. I still need more clarity i'm afraid and having an example would be great.

Example: Could you tell me what exactly happens when ast-breadcrumbs-content or _stripe_currency (random examples) are set to Don't translate vs Copy? What exactly are the implications?

I've set custom fields translations to Don't translate, back to Copy, cleared cash, refreshed Elementor CSS files, did all troubleshooting resets in WPML, and still some layouts won't carry over.

Could you please see hidden link and i'm happy to give you access to the site. My install is a standard WPML + Elementor Pro + Astra Pro. Thank you.