This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 28, 2019 at 10:40 pm #4110271

Kim

I'm trying to understand how to translate pages with page builders vs WPML's translation editor. I want to use page builder for the translation, but when i try to do that, it creates a new page, rather than translating the page. I've got the "Use WPML's Translation Editor" marked off, but when i go to the translation page, i've got WPML's Translation Editor, not my page builder. So on my home page, i clicked that off when i went to translate it, then i was able to, but it's not a translation of the page now, it's a whole new page in french.

June 28, 2019 at 11:56 pm #4110295

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

1. From within WPML->Settings->How to translate posts and pages you can select between

A. Advanced Translation Editor B. WPML Translation Editor (Side to Side translation )

using either one when clicking on "+" allows you to add your translations and keep the layout consistent without having to re create the page.

2. If you wish to use the Page Builder view there are 2 different ways to do this.

The first and correct way it to edit the default language page and as you have done turn off the
"Use WPML's Translation Editor" button on the right side.

Now you should be able to see the option to

A. click on "+" button which will add a new translation using the page builder but will also require you to start from the begining with the layout of the page and content.

B. click on "duplicate" or "overwrite with [default language] content" , this will duplicate your default language page keeping the layout and content and then simply you just have to fill out your translations and make your changes.
[if you dont see the option to duplicate scroll to bottom and verify its set to " Make 'Pages' translatable" and not " Make 'Pages' appear as translated"]

The second way would be to use the actual WPML Translation Editor and whenever you need to use the page builder in the translation follow the steps bellow:

access the default page and edit
use the language switcher in the top header to switch to the secondary language
use the page builder and update.

NOTE : this is not always preferred as it can have the possibility of overwriting content but you can test it and if it works as expected it should be ok to use this technique.

NOTE 2: Also note that if you have started a translation in the Translation Editor (side to side) you will need to first finish it(100%) and save then re access again to be able to see the page builder if you have turn off WPML Translation Editor.

The topic ‘[Closed] Don't want to use wpml's translation editor’ is closed to new replies.