This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ahmed Ibrahim 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
March 5, 2020 at 7:22 pm #5629059

jillT

When the client exports the XLIFF to the translation service, HTML is being converted to XML which on return has malformed or missing attributes.

March 9, 2020 at 8:45 am #5646027

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

Welcome to WPML Support.

I have read your conversation with Lauren, I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

In order to see what is the best approach can you please answer few next questions.

1) Does this issue happen only when using Language Insight, they see the issue on receiving the XLIFF file? What happens if you send it to a local translator?

2) Can you please confirm this is not happening when you download the XLIFF file manually?

3) Is there any chance staging site could be created for testing purposes, on yours or our servers.

4) If not, is it possible to get access to a live website in order to investigate the issue? Let me know and I will send you instructions on how to provide access.

5) Please provide debug information.
Instructions: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Please let me know and don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way or have doubts, I'll do my best to help you in the best way possible.

Regards,
Drazen

March 9, 2020 at 5:45 pm #5649453

jillT

Hi Drazen

Thank you for your response.

1) I can assign the translation to myself, in this instance I download the file from within wp admin. This is the HTML inside CDATA version of the screenshots. Language Insights are not reporting an issue but have supplied the version in the other screenshot as what they receive from an export directly to them (and this imports after translation with broken HTML attributes). They have said that they receive translations by logging into WPML, I am hoping you will know what that means in practice and if there are any settings there that could be causing the difference?

2) When I download the XLIFF manually I get the CDATA embedded version rather than it being split into smaller trans units.

3) & 4) Unfortunately these are not possible at this time due to confidentiality agreements in place, I have escalated a request but it is not straightforward in this situation.

5) What debug info would you like? All I really have is the 2 XLIFF files that demonstrate the different formatting. I could send those over?

I am looking at 2 different possible fixes as I see it.
1 is to resolve the broken HTML attributes (either this is translation preprocessing or something happening on import when the fields are 'reassembled').
Option 2 would be being able to pass the CDATA version to the translation service through the automatic export (the HTML is not converted to a different namespace so I don't get the broken attributes issue).

March 10, 2020 at 7:20 am #5652185

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, yes please provide XLIFF examples. If possible check if this happens with all post types (posts, pages, CPT etc) or an only specific one?

3) & 4) I understand, hope this will be possible. It might be necessary in order to move to the next step.

5) WPML debug information as described on shared link.
Link: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Please let me know how it goes and don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way.

Regards,
Drazen

March 10, 2020 at 10:27 am #5653737

jillT

Thanks Drazen

How can I send XLIFF files to you? To answer your question this is the case with various CPTs, no correlation to specific post types has been observed.

Sorry didn't realise the debug info requested was generated, have now included it.

Can I ask please, of the 2 example formats which is the one you would expect to see? In terms of what would be sent to LI from the WPML WP install?

Also can you confirm if LI are using software from yourselves for the receipt of exports?

Thanks for your help.

March 10, 2020 at 12:45 pm #5654651

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the reply.

1) Please upload files to any platform like Google disk or Dropbox and share the link. I will be marking your next reply as private.

2) I would like to see both XLIFF files for same page, where I can see different formating.

3) WPML delivers the content directly to their system as XLIFF files. In theory, it is the same as the one you download locally.

Link: https://wpml.org/documentation/content-translation/how-integration-with-wpml-works/

4) I would suggest trying to send correct XLIFF locally to LI for translations. Then they send you translations back locally (open to see if formating is correct). If all correct import it manually to the website and see what happens. This way we will know at which step issue happens and how to proceed next.

You can try this on a staging site with some dummy content just for test.

Please let me know how it goes and don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way.

Regards,
Drazen

March 10, 2020 at 1:22 pm #5654985

jillT

Thank you

Example files can be found here hidden link

Thank you for the link, that is certainly helpful to see.

We had already tried step 4 that you suggest, the TS said they could put in place a workaround... sent the files back and it seemed ok (the HTML was unaltered). There is an issue around paragraphs but it seems I can use the wpml_tm_xliff_export_original_cf hook to apply wputop which should work ok for us (it isn't ideal but could work this way if needs be).

The problem we have though is we're not sure what the correct export format from WP is and I don't seem to have anyway to change this. I am starting to suspect the XLIFF is being altered on receipt at the TS service end, but unfortunately the setup there is opaque to me which makes it hard to know.

Appreciate your help.

March 10, 2020 at 3:48 pm #5656067

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to know.

Do you maybe know what workaround they used?

You can actually change the default format. You can define a default XLIFF version for exporting files and the line break type to be used directly from WPML. The XLIFF options are located under the XLIFF file options section of the WPML ->Settings.

Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-desktop-cat-tools/configuring-xliff-file-options/#xliff-options

Can you please try testing different formats and New Line option, let me know if this helps.

Thanks for the cooperation and patience.

March 13, 2020 at 12:23 pm #5679987

jillT

Hi unfortunately I do not know what the workaround they mentioned involved.

We have tried a couple of formats without any difference unfortunately.

I am getting a test site setup where I expect the problem to be reproducible.

When I say format I don't really mean the XLIFF version as even with the same version we see vastly different structure. It would be really good to know what structure should be sent by WPML to a translation service, or is it not that straightforward? If it is not straightforward what can affect WPML outputting different structure for the same XLIFF version?

March 13, 2020 at 1:08 pm #5680301

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the reply.

I think the problem here is not when sending the XLIFF file from WPML, as you have mentioned before, but when LI receives/opens the XLIFF file.

Great, let me know when staging site ready, please check if reproducible and update me.

I will then check and consult with our developers on this matter, If needed I will escalate this ticket.

In order for developers to be able to better understand and replicate the issue, I would need you to help us out on how to replicate the issue:

1) Can you please provide the next information:

- original content sent to the translation. It can be just a few lines of the content that is causing the issue.
- original language and translation language
- what happens when you receive translation (errors, different content, etc)
- What content editor are you using (Gutenberg or ACF or Classic or etc..)

If you could provide screenshot or video that would be great.

2) When staging site ready, please check if reproducible and provide access.

I will be waiting.

Thanks and regards,
Drazen

March 16, 2020 at 12:01 pm #5692787

jillT

Hi

To answer your questions...

Original content example:
From ‘Arghh!’ to ‘Ahh!’ – Dealing With Uncertainty: <a href="hidden link">Part One</a>

Which comes back as:
「もーう!」ではなく「ああ!」へ(不確実なものへの対処): <a xmlns:xhtml="hidden link" xhtml:href="hidden link">Part 1</a>

That is an example of the tag's namespace being wrong after import.

This is from English to Japanese.

All of the above is inside ACF WYSIWYG fields.

I assume you want an admin account on the test site. What would be the best way to send this to you?

March 16, 2020 at 1:42 pm #5693721

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be forwarding this information to our developers.

Please confirm the issue reproducible on the staging site and provide a link to the page where this issue happens.

Please make a full backup of your site (files and database)

I would need to access your site's wp-admin and FTP account. I have enabled the private username and password fields in your next reply.

I suggest you create a temporary user, set it as an administrator and then add those credentials in the fields mentioned above.

You can safely add your information into these fields. I would also need your permission to access the database as well.

Let me know,

Regards,
Drazen

March 16, 2020 at 2:19 pm #5694117

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

I forget to mention to try to replicate this issue on the staging site by following the next steps:

- a minimal environment with only WPML plugins, ACF Multilingual, ACF and default theme
- be sure you are using the latest version of the mentioned plugins. WPML 4.3.10, ACFML 1.6.1
- check and confirm if this issue is happening only with content inside ACF WYSIWYG fields or with any kind (Gutenberg, image field etc)

In debug information I see you are using MySQLVersion 5.5., can you update to 5.6 or above, as mentioned in WPML’s Minimum Requirements?

Link:https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Thanks for your patience and time.

Regards,
Drazen

March 17, 2020 at 1:23 pm #5701821

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks!

I have asked our developer to advise on this case and if needed we would escalate this ticket to the WPML Developers team for further testing.

Since they have other cases also, it could take a day or two to check and get back to me. I will update you as soon as I have some answers or news on this issue.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Drazen

March 17, 2020 at 4:38 pm #5703779

jillT

Hi Drazen

Thank you very much for your help and yes please let me know what you find, so far I haven't found anything in WP that's causing this.

The topic ‘[Closed] Downloaded XLIFF is different than what Translation Service sees’ is closed to new replies.