Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to reduce the storage place of the website by evoiding un upload of duplicated images. Solution: Use WPML and the Media Translation add-on. The Media Translation module allows using the same media files in content in different languages. Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martineG-3 4 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
April 20, 2017 at 9:30 am #1257833

martineG-3

Hello,

Two years ago we build our website hidden link with the DIVI builder.
In the beginning we didn't use WPML. Therefore we copied each project file to get 3 languages. (dutch (NL) is our main language. We copied this to ENglish and FRench).

However, when we want to edit the gallery we have we also have to copy this again to the other two.

Later on we installed WPML. We are using this now when creating a new post.
Should we translate all the dutch pages in the same way to reduce images from our server. (At the moment every image is stored in threefold on our server).

What is the best way to make WPML work for us.

Hope you understand the question.
Thanks in advance
Tony

April 20, 2017 at 6:31 pm #1258436

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Hello, Tony.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

I can see that you have also installed our Media Translation add-on.
Using this add-on, you do not need to keep different image files for each language.
You only use one image file, and WPML makes a reference for it in the DB for the other languages.
Please see the following link to our documentations about the Media Translation add-on.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

Please let me know if this information is answering your question.

Thanks,
Itamar.

April 21, 2017 at 8:38 am #1258775

martineG-3

Hello Itamar,

Thanks for your reply.
So. What do I do next?
Right now I have 3 separate project pages for one project (NL - EN - FR).
Can I safely translate a project twice and delete the other two?

Thanks in advance.
Tony

April 23, 2017 at 8:08 pm #1259771

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Tony.

You write: "Right now I have 3 separate project pages for one project (NL - EN - FR)."
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I understand that in the past you did not use WPML, but I do not understand what did you do to have it like this ( separate project pages for one project).

You also ask: "Can I safely translate a project twice and delete the other two?"
Why not? That is the purpose of WPML.
In any case, you should take a full site backup before you proceed.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

If you feel that I didn't understand you correctly then, please elaborate further and share with me some screenshots and links to those pages that you talk about.

Thanks,
Itamar.

April 25, 2017 at 9:35 am #1261088

martineG-3

Thanks for your reply Itamar,

> "Right now I have 3 separate project pages for one project (NL - EN - FR)."
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.

What I mean by this is that for instance:
hidden link is the dutch version
hidden link is the french version and hidden link the english version.

After creating the dutch page we duplicated the page and change the text in english and french. However, when we replace an image in the original we also need to replace the images in the french and english version.
By using WPML that shouldn't be necessary.

However when I want to translate a page, sometimes a lot of coding appears, which make translating tricky. (see screenshot). Sometimes this coding is not visible. How is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Tony

April 26, 2017 at 9:25 pm #1262752

Itamar
Supporter

Thank you for your explanations, Tony.

I think that it will be better if I check those issues on your site.
You did not attach the screenshot so; please explain to me where I can see the code problem that you talk about ("sometimes a lot of coding appears, which make translating tricky").

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.
For this, I'll need to install the Duplicator plugin on your site.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Thanks,
Itamar.

April 27, 2017 at 10:13 am #1263131

martineG-3

I see i forgot to enclose the image. I hereby attach it. Thanks for looking into it.
Can you send private field again. Something went wrong and it isn't visible for me anymore.
Tony

WPML.jpg
April 27, 2017 at 5:39 pm #1263695

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Tony.
Private message is enabled again.
Thanks,
Itamar.

May 1, 2017 at 11:43 am #1265408

Itamar
Supporter

Hello, Tony and thanks for the access details.

You are using the Divi theme which is compatible with WPML.
All the instructions on how to work with the Divi theme and WPML are in the following link.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/
The code that you see is shortcodes from the time that translating the Divi pages with WPML worked differently (you said that those are projects that were created a long time ago).
So as you wrote before you can now delete those old translations and make new ones and everything should work properly.
Here are the steps that you should take.
1. Backup your site.
2. Delete the translations for the projects that you want to retranslate.
Note: you will also need to remove them from the trash folder of the language. Otherwise, they will still show up in as available for translation.
3. Translate the projects again according to the instructions on our documentations.
Note the procedure that you have to take when you only update the original project.
You also need to update the translations.

Please let me know if you have more questions about this issue.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 2, 2017 at 9:34 am #1266017

martineG-3

OK Itamar,

All seems clear now. It'll take me some time to translate all projects again, but it will definitely make the website less big, for now all images are stored in threefold.

Thanks for helping me out.
Tony

May 4, 2017 at 8:20 pm #1268622

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Tony.
I'm glad I could help 🙂

Please also note the following.
By default, WordPress generates three sizes of each image that you upload, and this has nothing to do with WPML.
Also, WordPress themes and plugins can generate additional image sizes.
You can read more about it here.
hidden link
I hope that this is also useful information for you.

Regards,
Itamar.

May 5, 2017 at 10:11 am #1269044

martineG-3

OK Itamar,
Thanks again. I'll have a look into it.
Tony