If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago.

Author Posts
July 29, 2012 at 11:13 am #69492

Baden

When duplicating a post, the custom taxonomies are NOT copying over.
Custom taxonomies can only be set to either: Translate or Do nothing. Duplicate / Copy is not an option.

For example, a custom taxonomy such as 'Release Year' would not need to be translated (1992 in English is still 1992 in German), the value from the EN page simply needs to be copied/duplicated to the duplicate post.

This issue has been raised and not resolved in the following posts (regardless of what your WPML team has marked it).

Answer 1) Yes, but not-really: http://wpml.org/forums/topic/content-duplication-and-custom-taxomomies/
Answer 2) No, not yet a feature: http://wpml.org/forums/topic/sync-custom-taxonomy-categories/#post-29798
Answer 3) This issue is resolved, even though it is not (BOO-HISS WPML!) http://wpml.org/forums/topic/duplicate-post-custom-taxonomies/

Will someone from WPML honestly own this issue and not simply say 'it works' when it clearly does NOT.

-Baden

July 30, 2012 at 9:05 am #69594

Anonymous

Dear Baden,
Perhaps we misunderstand each other.

For example, a custom taxonomy such as 'Release Year' would not need to be translated (1992 in English is still 1992 in German), the value from the EN page simply needs to be copied/duplicated to the duplicate post.

Lets paint the scenario to get a clearer picture;
-You have custom taxonomy 'Release Year'
-You have Taxonomy term 1992 (in default language BUT not translated!)
-You create a post X assign it taxonomy term 1992 and duplicate it.

Expected Outcome:
The duplicated post of X will not be assigned any taxonomy term from taxonomy 'Release Year'
because there is no translation for Taxonomy term 1992.

This is the way WPML currently works, but I am not sure if this is what you meant.

July 30, 2012 at 9:49 am #69599

Baden

DUPLICATE POST

July 30, 2012 at 9:50 am #69600

Baden

Brooks, Well, at least we finally understand the issue.

Custom Taxonomies will TRANSLATE if they are set to TRANSLATE and there is a translation mapped for each taxonomy.
But currently, as you have shown in the example above: duplicated posts will not be assigned any taxonomy terms if they are not set to translate. The issue is not about Custom Taxonomie Translation. It is about Duplication.

If I duplicate a post, the Taxonomies are the only area that can NOT be duplicated (1 to 1 copy, not translated).

This is possible, for example, with custom fields (custom meta boxes / meta values), if we use a wpml-config.xml language configuration file like so:

<custom-fields>
<custom-field action="copy">release-year</custom-field>
</custom-fields>

the values will copy over to there duplicate posts.

The ability to copy over taxonomy terms is missing in WPML. Hopefully we now understand each other, and can determine if this is a Bug/Missing Feature/Feature Request and how we can work tother to find a solution.

But I am happy that we finally cleared up what the issue is.

July 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm #69623

Anonymous

This would definately be a feature request.
But its important to understand that taxonomy terms can't be copied over easily. Where as custom fields have no langauge information attached to them and duplication does not affect them,
Having duplicate taxonomies is not supported yet and thus wpml has to append the language code to the taxonomy term for this to work.
For this feature to work when duplicating posts, then duplicate taxonomies has to be supported.
This would be easier if they are copied over with a language code appended to the new taxonomy term name in the other language.

I will however leave this to my superiors who will decide on when this can be made a part of WPML.
Kind Regards.

The topic ‘[Closed] Duplicate Custom Taxonomies’ is closed to new replies.