This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
March 13, 2020 at 1:54 pm #5680787

nicolasF-19

Hello,

I'm seeing duplicates fields for the second language.

Here is the context :
- Main language is French (second in Dutch & third English)
- I started using the Advanced Translation Manager in the project.
- for some reasons, almost all the pages appear now in the "Classic" translation manager. And there was probably some work done on both Translation manager for the same pages.
- I sent content to a Translation Service (TextMaster) via your direct integration. The translation was sent from the Dutch language (nb. not the main language which is French) to English language
- When I got their translation for a first test page, I notice that some fields were duplicated and had : Same content in French (main language), different content (in Dutch), same content in English (from the translation agency)

You can see all this with the page "Une formation en vente unique, adaptée à votre profil" which is the only one which has all 3 languages translated.

With the 2 Advanced & Classic translation manager mixed, the external translation service (textmaster) integrated, etc. I'm quite lost... and cannot be sure the correct version of the Dutch translation is correctly used.

Also I've seen other fields in translated Dutch page going back to French. After looking them up in "string translation", I noticed they have been duplicated and WPML was using the string without a Dutch translation...

Thanks in advance for your help,

March 13, 2020 at 3:30 pm #5681951

nicolasF-19

btw, I'd like to give you access to the site to make it more simple for you but I don't see the option?

March 14, 2020 at 9:13 am #5685453

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

Private replies for sharing can be activated only by supporters if you don't provide credentials when you first open the ticket. However, if a site is already live, we avoid performing tests there, we prefer taking a copy to debug without any possible inconvenience on your side.

The situation here is not clear. I can only understand you are mixing translation methods for the same piece of content, and that's not recommended.

As first thing, I would ask you to update your plugins - I can see you're running very old version of WPML and other plugins and this can be a reason for your issue.
Once you update your plugins, please try to download again your test page from TextEdit.

March 17, 2020 at 12:40 am #5697057

nicolasF-19

Hello,
I upgraded the plugins.

Can you clarify what you mean by Textedit please?

Thanks

March 18, 2020 at 11:49 am #5710241

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

sorry, I meant Textmaster. Textedit is another translation service.

March 25, 2020 at 4:50 pm #5762887

nicolasF-19

Hi Laura,

The page translated by Textmaster isn't available in the "translation work" tab anymore (I have the interface in French so not sure about the exact label in English for this tab). There are only pages that have been "cancelled".

However, they send me the xliff file for this specific page. Is this an alternative and how can I use it ?

On the side note, I don't think this will fix the duplicate of fields..(as described in my first message)

Thanks you,

Jonathan

March 25, 2020 at 5:19 pm #5763161

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I'd guess it's the Translation Job tab, however, you should have all jobs available there. Don't you have a search field for them?

About the .xliff, yes you should be able to import it from WPML > Translations, as long as your user is registered as Translator and has the correct language pair.

As for duplicate fields, let's try importing the .xliff first and see what happens.
If you still see them, I'd suggest trying to Duplicate the page with the Duplicate Post plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicate-post/) and see if you still have them. At that point, you might import your .xliff file as translation for this page.

March 25, 2020 at 5:57 pm #5763285

nicolasF-19

Hi,

I duplicated the page. Here is what I see:

1. When I want to update the translation, it then opens the Advanced Translation Editor which it doesn't do anymore with the older pages which show the Classic Editor ( for a reason that I don't know...)

2. All translation in the Advanced Translation Editor are empty for the language translated by TextMaster. I have translation for the other language translated internally.

3. I don't see duplicate fields anymore - in - Advanced Translation Editor (but what if it switch again to CLassic editor.?)

My questions :

1. Are there duplicates in fields because some of them come from the Advanced Translation Editor and some have been added when the classic Editor was activated (for unknown reason to me) OR via String translation OR that it was triggered by importing the Textmaster translation ?

I would like to avoid translating again the whole site. --> how can I solve my issue without doing so?

I would like to avoid to have the same issue down the road (as so far it's not clear what the root cause is) => how can we clarify this?

Thanks in advance

March 26, 2020 at 10:48 am #5768161

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

about your questions:
"Are there duplicates in fields because some of them come from the Advanced Translation Editor and some have been added when the classic Editor was activated (for unknown reason to me) OR via String translation OR that it was triggered by importing the Textmaster translation?"

I don't have enough information to determine that. Do you have other pages where there are duplicate fields?

In this moment, there are other pages affected by this issue?

March 27, 2020 at 1:39 pm #5779989

nicolasF-19

Yes, some other pages have the same issue (not all pages thought)

March 27, 2020 at 4:02 pm #5781221

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

which pages are affected? What was your workflow to translate them?
Does the issue happen in new pages?

I'd also like to get credentials so I can better check the issue.
I'll enable a private reply.

April 1, 2020 at 2:36 pm #5814519

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

please follow me in my reasoning

Fact 1: You can't use more than one Translation Service
Fact 2: WPML considers the Advanced Editor as a Translation Service

As you observed, Translation Services translation can't be opened with the Advanced editor, but only with the Classic.
WPML doesn't let you use the Classic editor for a language and the Advanced editor for another language, you should use only one for all the translation for a given content.

Therefore, I think that when you started using Text Master, WPML started opening your Advanced editor translation with the Classic one. Since it's not expected to change translation methods, the duplicate fields are likely due to this move.

I'm still trying to reproduce what I just explained so I can speak with the developers to understand if this is expected or not, but if you could confirm or not that the issue started after you sent content to Text Master I'd appreciate it.

April 1, 2020 at 3:02 pm #5814661

nicolasF-19

Hi,

Ok good to know that WPML Advanced Editor is considered a translation service in itself. Maybe good to mention that in the documentation.

This project has been ongoing for almost a year so it's not easy for me to give you a 100% certain confirmation. However, the back & forth between the Advanced & Classic Editor has been there before the TextMaster integration.

One of the rootcause I identified was : using "String translation" on a string that is part of a page handled in Advanced Translation Manager was then activating the Classic Editor for this page. There was probably also other causes but seemed more random/

I wish now to only use the Classic Editor (because I need "string translation" feature and Textmaster).So I would need a process in order to come back to this setup while keeping my translations.

Thanks,

April 2, 2020 at 11:41 am #5821857

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I think your issues are most likely caused by switching back and forth with the different Editors.
I found that if you used the Advanced editor before starting using TextMaster you should still be able to edit the other language in the Advanced editor. If it's not your case, probably it was caused by something else but at this point would be quite difficult to determine why it happened.

I'd suggest trying to duplicate one of the pages with duplicated fields with the plugin "Duplicate post" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicate-post/) and see if in the clone you still have duplicated fields.

April 2, 2020 at 3:43 pm #5824577

nicolasF-19

Hi,

I've done this test already on the 25th of March (see message #5763285).

Here a copy of the relevant part of my previous message :

I duplicated the page. Here is what I see:

1. When I want to update the translation, it then opens the Advanced Translation Editor which it doesn't do anymore with the older pages which show the Classic Editor ( for a reason that I don't know...)

2. I don't see duplicate fields anymore - in - Advanced Translation Editor (but what if it switch again to CLassic editor.?)

So it seems duplicating the page solves the issue of duplicate fields.

This is why I would like to focus on my request in the last message :
"I wish now to only use the Classic Editor (because I need "string translation" feature and Textmaster).So I would need a process in order to come back to this setup while keeping all my previous translations."

Could you please clarify this process for me ? (migrating from Advanced Editor to Classic one while keeping all previous translations)

Thanks in advance,

The topic ‘[Closed] Duplicate fields for second language (with Translation Service)’ is closed to new replies.