This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The client have several pages with duplicate meta descriptions and - titles, in this case products and product categories.

Solution: When translating the products the Yoast SEO related fields needs to be translated too.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
March 9, 2018 at 11:16 am #1541657

jannekeW

Hi!
I have the same issue as mentioned in reply #947627 on july 7 from Otto. I have several pages with duplicate meta descriptions and - titles, in this case products and product categories. Google sees the content in two languages as the same.

So I did what Otto said in that reply:
Download, install and activate Multilingual Tools (you can get it in your WPML account)
-Go to Multilingual Tools > Settings
-In "Add language information to post duplicate" toggle all the options
-And define a template or keep the default one
-Go to WPML > Translation Management

After that I am stuck.... I don't know how to proceed. In the reply they speak about images, but I have products and prod.categories with this issue...

Could you please help me?

March 10, 2018 at 12:00 am #1542280

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hi there,

After going to WPML -> Translation Management you must follow this steps:
- Go to Multilingual Content Setup tab -> Custom fields translation (you may need to click on 'Show system fields' link) -> Set the custom fields that corresponds to title and meta-description to 'Translate' -> Save the changes.

After the steps above you should be able to translate the title and meta-description while translating the products.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Kind regards,
Carlos

March 10, 2018 at 9:19 am #1542410

jannekeW

Hi Carlos,

I did what you said, but the products and product categories that Google sees the content in two languages as the same are already have been translated, so I don't have to do that.

Like /de/product/industrieventilator/ and /product/industriele-ventilator/, or /de/product/hutkoffer/ and /product/hutkoffer/. The same product but in 2 languages. Or /de/product-brand/hoffz/ and /product-brand/hoffz/, 1 brand in 2 languages.

See attachment...

March 12, 2018 at 3:07 pm #1543722

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

Could you provide the full link to Otto's reply?

Looking forward to your answer.
Kind regards,
Carlos

March 12, 2018 at 3:37 pm #1543759

jannekeW

Of course Carlos!
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/duplicated-title-and-description-meta-tags-in-google-search-console/

March 12, 2018 at 6:21 pm #1543954

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you ver much for your answer.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Kind regards,
Carlos

March 12, 2018 at 9:08 pm #1544105

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I would like to ask your authorization to make a copy of the site in order to make further tests on a local environment without affecting the live site.

Kind regards,
Carlos

March 12, 2018 at 10:00 pm #1544134

jannekeW

You have my authorization Carlos, go ahead!

March 13, 2018 at 2:56 pm #1544890

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I suspect that the cause of the issue is that the description field from Yoast SEO plugin hasn't been translated. See attached image.

I would like to ask you to translate this field and let me know the result.

Kind regards,
Carlos

March 13, 2018 at 3:39 pm #1544943

jannekeW

Thanks!

I've missed that one I think... solved it now, but will take a couple of weeks till Google sees it.....

But I have also a couple of duplicate meta-tags, in this case they are images which are translated, I've checked them...

/de/jill-plaid-kleur-linen-2/ translated into Jill plaid Farbe linen
/houten-plukmand/ translated into Hölzerner Pflückkorb
/jill-plaid-op-bed/ translated into Jill Plaid auf Bett
/product-tag/decoratie-vogel/ translated into Deko Vogel

Do I have to wait also for that or is there something else going on?

And also like /de/product/leinen-jacquard-plaid-hoffz/
/de/productde/leinen-jacquard-plaid-hoffz/, which last url I have deleted. I have used Yoast to better my search results and changed some urls.... Also wait till Google crawls again?

March 13, 2018 at 5:15 pm #1545064

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

Unfortunately this issue is out of our scope as WPML support service. I made a quick search and I think this link will help you to speed up the Google crawler: hidden link

Thank you very much for your understanding.
Kind regards,
Carlos

March 13, 2018 at 5:49 pm #1545094

jannekeW

Thanks Carlos, did that 15 minutes ago. We shall see... thanks for your help!!

March 13, 2018 at 5:54 pm #1545105

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

Please don't hesitate to contact us if your need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help 🙂

Kind regards,
Carlos