This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 29, 2019 at 11:34 pm #3919011

jonS-9

I am trying to: use the Broadcast plugin's Bulk Cloner add-on (hidden link) to create a copy of an existing site featuring a bunch of translations managed by WPML.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: WordPress Admin

I expected to see: an exact copy of the site I used as the basis for cloning.

Instead, I got: a site where the WPML set up process is not completed. I'm also missing a language I manually added, English (UK). All of this is already set up within the source site, so I'm not sure why it isn't transferring.

I am hoping to avoid having to manually go through the WPML set up process, because I am working on cloning a site into 8 other sites, and I don't want to have to go through WPML set up, adding another language, etc. 8 times.

May 30, 2019 at 8:00 am #3921105

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

What you experience should not happen.

When you duplicate a site, you should never have to set up WPML again as the settings and the translations are saved inside the database.

The only thing you would need to do is make sure that the new hosting (if you are changing the hosting company or plan) is compatible with the WPML minimum requirements here (https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/) and if you change the domain, you should generate a new key from your WPML.org account > Sites page (https://wpml.org/account/sites/) and then add that key into Plugins > Add new > Commercial.

That should be all that you would need to do.

I never used the plugin that you mentioned and it might not be compatible with WPML.

What I do recommend though is to use the "Duplicator" plugin as it is compatible with WPML.

Here is more information on how to use the Duplicator plugin:

Documentation can be found here - hidden link

Here is a small tutorial on how to use Duplicator:
hidden link

I hope that you will find this information helpful. 🙂

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

May 30, 2019 at 5:25 pm #3925389

jonS-9

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am duplicating sites within a WordPress Multisite installation. So I essentially need 9 copies of the same site within a single WordPress Multisite installation. Because of this, I don't think the Duplicator plugin will work for me.

WPML says it is compatible with Broadcast: https://wpml.org/plugin/threewp-broadcast/. So I'm not sure why it isn't working at the moment.

May 31, 2019 at 12:49 pm #3930537

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I did not know that it is a multisite, indeed.

From what I can see in the link you shared with me, it says that the "ThreeWP Broadcast" is compatible but I don't see anything related to the "Bulk Cloner" addon (hidden link) that you mentioned.

Can you please try to follow the steps from the link below using Duplicator:
hidden link

Please let me know how that goes.

I will be waiting for your response.

Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week if you will respond tonight or this weekend.

Kind regards,
Mihai