This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 1, 2018 at 5:05 pm #2778918

arndH

I am trying to: edit a duplicated product

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

October 1, 2018 at 5:05 pm #2778920

arndH

Hi all,

Generally, WPML is working great.
I have set up two German languages, one for EUR and one for CHF
Also, 3 English languages for USD, GBP and EUR

When I create a new product, I start with the German version and then duplicate it to Swiss

I then translate English UK and duplicate it to USD and EUR

Whenever I have to edit a product and update the English version (by the translation button) the connection to the duplicates gets lost and these are not translated in the same way

Is there anything that can be done about it?

I have an awful lot of SEO descriptions to do and these are not shown in the editor, so that I have to use the classic mode.

Cheers Andy

October 3, 2018 at 7:54 pm #2785617

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

I understand that you need to use classic mode to translate SEO. However, does the content of the duplicated page update when you use the translation editor? I would like to test this locally and want to make sure I am following your steps exactly.

Also, after updating the translated English page, does the content just not update, or do the translations become unlinked?

To ensure the quickest and most accurate support, please provide your debug information so that I can get a look at some of your configurations. We have an excellent article on how to located here: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/.

NOTE: Please be sure to check the box to indicate you can provide debug info and paste your debug info in the debug field provided, and NOT in the general response field.

October 4, 2018 at 4:34 pm #2788217

arndH

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your response.

I try to describe my problem in more detail:

1. I create a new product in German de/EUR
2. I duplicate the product to Swiss ch/CHF
3. I use the translate button for UK gb/GBP
4. I duplicate the English translation to en/EUR and us/EUR

This process works fine.

When I do any update on the German version of the product, I go to the translation for the UK gb/GBP and translate any additions I had

If I then click on update to save the translation, the UK product is an unlinked separate product and not recognised as a translation anymore.

I can then relink it as translation of the de version, however the en and us versions are not recognised a duplicates of the gb version anymore and do not change.

When clicking the translation button of the us version, I could copy all content from the German (original) version only.

I have uploaded the debug info requested.

Kind regards,

Arnd

October 4, 2018 at 9:03 pm #2788788

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Hi Arnd, I checked with our developers and found that in a duplication chain, there should be only one original, otherwise you will create possible endless loop that might crash the server. This is why the products are unlinking, because in your scenario you are trying to have two originals.

The only way I can think to accomplish this is to create a standalone product in German and duplicate it to Swiss. Then create a standalone product in UK and translate it to EUR and US. This would mean that the products would not all be linked together, but you can duplicate the content from German to Swiss and from UK to the other ENs.

I'm not sure if that is a suitable workaround, but unfortunately it won't work with the way you are trying to do it now.