This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rajeeb Banstola 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Rajeeb Banstola.

Author Posts
August 10, 2019 at 2:04 am #4373517

johannV-2

On my site I m using 5 languages. When adding an image it gets duplicated in all 5 languages.
Two Problems with that function:

1. If I want to delete an image i have to delete it in every language manually.
2. It uses a lot of credits of my image optimization plugin as every image gets optimized 5 times. users can upload images so it gets very expensive as i have to pay 5 times the price for optimization.

is there a way when uploading an image in whatever language that it only gets uploaded to the default language and the other languages using that image as well? If not how else could i resolve this problem?

Thanks, Johann.

August 10, 2019 at 3:45 am #4374615

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

WPML doesn't add new image files for each languages. It just adds entry to database so that you can translate the meta information of the image.

Let me know if you have more questions!

August 10, 2019 at 4:16 am #4374671

johannV-2

Hi Rajeeb, thanks for your reply. So how does it come when cropping or scaling an image in one language it wouldnt apply those changes to other languages? Is there a way to avoid that? Can I disable the entry to database so I wont have to do all the work (deleting/editing of images) 5 times?

August 10, 2019 at 6:50 pm #4375881

johannV-2

This is getting really frustrating. I just spend like 10 hours trying around with WPML settings and looking for solution in support threat, no success.

All I m looking for is:
1. when deleting an image in default language also delete it in other languages and database.
2. when resizing or cropping an image in default language also resize or crop image in the other languages.

Could you please tell me how to do it? Seems really simple function to me but WPML makes it super complicated! There is no way I can resize, crop or delete my images in all languages manually. That would be impossible.

August 10, 2019 at 7:17 pm #4375897

johannV-2

I found this: https://wpml.org/2018/06/important-changes-in-how-media-translation-works-since-wpml-4-0/

But i dont have those 2 options although i have version 4.2.7.1. and dont have WPML Media Translation installed... Please help.

August 13, 2019 at 5:51 am #4385127

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Please go to WPML - Settings - Media Translation. Then uncheck duplicate media attachments for translations and duplicate featured images for translations option.

Let me know if that helps!

August 14, 2019 at 3:16 am #4391761

johannV-2

Hi, I have it unchecked. You can see my settings in the attached image. I uploaded an image in the default language which is English. I cropped the image from 3600 width to 1920 in default language but it still shows in original seize in other languages. When deleting that image in default language it still shows up in other languages. Please help.

August 14, 2019 at 3:16 am #4391763

johannV-2

August 21, 2019 at 7:06 am #4428395

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

I would like to request WordPress login details to inspect it further. The new media items should not be duplicated once the setting is changed.

The topic ‘[Closed] Duplication of images’ is closed to new replies.