This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
September 21, 2019 at 7:54 am #4615527

druvaI

We are using WPML on our site. English is the primary language and we're translating to German (DE) and Japanese (JA).

We are using Elementor Theme Builder templates for our headers and footers. The footer does not utilize WordPress menus. We simply use Elementor text modules.

We were able to translate four pages, the header and footer to DE/JA with no issue, intially.

I am trying to:

I am trying to edit the DE or JA footer. When I do, it breaks all language versions (EN/DE/JA) of the website. The layout of the website changes. Looking at the code I can see significant changes in the code, too.

Even the smallest change in the Elementor template causes the site to break.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link All pages on that site are displaying incorrectly.

I expected to see:

hidden link
Screenshot hidden link

Instead, I got:

hidden link
Screenshot hidden link

September 23, 2019 at 7:03 am #4620841

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I am trying to edit the DE or JA footer. When I do, it breaks all language versions (EN/DE/JA) of the website.

How are you editing them - are you translating them like this?
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/#translate-elementor-templates

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 23, 2019 at 8:45 pm #4626631

druvaI

Hi Bruno,

I am trying to edit a translated Elementor Theme Builder template. So here's the whole process:

* I set up a job to translate my Elementor Theme Builder header template to DE and JA
hidden link

* I used the WPML translation tool to enter proper translations
hidden link

* I noticed that some items blow up on translation - like this free trial button in German (NOTE: except for the button, this how the site should look - compare to screenshot at bottom of this list)
hidden link

* The translation is correct, so I'll just go into the German version of the Theme Builder template and make the column the button is in wider.
hidden link

* BUT when I open the German version of the header template - it ruins the layout of the whole site.
hidden link

This happens if I try to change ANYTHING in a translated Elementor Theme Builder template.

Please advise.

September 24, 2019 at 10:44 am #4630729

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I noticed that some items blow up on translation

Are you referring to the fact that "Kostenlose Testversion" is not fitting? This may happen because the string is to big and hence there is no spacing for it to appear within a single line, because there is no enough space in the whole menu area.

This happens if I try to change ANYTHING in a translated Elementor Theme Builder template.

How exactly are you doing this? Are you modifying them directly, because you want to have different layouts for different languages?

Because if you try to do so, then this happens:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

And if that is what you're after, then you may be better to disable WPML editor for Template translations, which you can do by checking what I did on the image.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] Editing a translated Elementor Theme Builder template breaks website’ is closed to new replies.