This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices.

Last updated by santiagoM-10 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Thomas.

Author Posts
February 8, 2016 at 10:35 pm #807710

gersonF

I am trying to: Edit a translated page after logging in as WP "editor". This editor account is also a translator (for all languages). When I click the edit button I links to "hidden link" and editing doesn't work. However if I go to the Dutch page (main language), edit this page and switch to German I can edit the page. I want the editor to have direct access to edit on translated pages.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: juliette-tentvakanties.nl

I expected to see: I want the WP editor + translator to have direct access to edit on translated pages. Formerly this was correct, so I think it is a bug.

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

February 9, 2016 at 12:16 pm #808169

Thomas

Hello and thank you for contacting WPML support!

### Increase WP Memory Limit ###

I see your WP Memory Limit is only 40M. Can you please increase it to 128M to avoid any memory issues?

To do so please follow this guide:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

### Editor Translations ###

Workaround:

Go to WPML -> Translation management -> "Translators" tab.
In the list of translators, click on "edit languages" for each user, and check all the languages combinations.

Does this help?

For further information or if you have any questions related to this ticket please do not hesitate to contact us.

February 9, 2016 at 12:35 pm #808190

gersonF

Hello, I increased WP memory to 128M. The work around doesn't work, I already had all combinations checked. If I upgrade the user from editor to highest level it works, but I don't want this person to have full admin rights as he might corrupt thing unintentionally.

I think it is a bug as we didn't have this problem a while ago. So maybe in on of the latest updates.

February 10, 2016 at 6:37 am #808828

Thomas

### Temporary access ###

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

### Backup ###

WPML recommends a plugin called "Duplicator" (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/). That will allow you to create a copy of your site and your content.

:: Duplicator instructions
hidden link

February 10, 2016 at 9:31 am #809001

Jean-Yves

I encounter the exact same bug. I have a few users that have the 'editor' profile, and they can't edit the pages in any languages other than the original one.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
1. log in as an 'editor' user
2. click on 'Pages'
3. when you hover the page title or the 'Edit' link, note that the link is wrong and appears like this: [website URL]/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page###
4. you have to click on the small pencil icon below the corresponding language to actually edit the page (the link appears correctly, like this: [website URL]/wp-admin/post.php?lang=nl&action=edit&post_type=page&post=2045 ),
5. but as soon as you click on 'Update', you will leave the page and be redirected to the 'Posts' page... THIS is really annoying and makes us lose a lot of time!

Workaround: give the user the 'administrator' profile.
I'd like to avoid that, so please fix that bug.

I've already tried your workaround:
Go to WPML -> Translation management -> "Translators" tab.
In the list of translators, click on "edit languages" for each user, and check all the languages combinations.
That didn't resolve the issue...

I'd be glad to give more info.

February 10, 2016 at 9:49 am #809027

gersonF

Thank you, Jean-Yves! We have the same issue, so it is indeed a bug in WPML. As you have written a way to reproduce the issue, I will wait for support to reproduce and after that fix the issue.

February 10, 2016 at 9:54 am #809033

Thomas

One more thing...

You could try to install our Access-Plugin (free) to see if this solves your issue:

https://toolset.com/home/types-access/

WPML’s Translation Management lets you control who translates each piece of content, to what languages. But sometimes, you need to set up something simpler, like allowing a certain user to edit all content in a specific language:

https://wpml.org/2016/01/allow-certain-users-edit-specific-languages/

February 10, 2016 at 10:24 am #809072

Jean-Yves

I've seen another thread where the op had the same issue: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/when-a-user-with-editor-role-tries-to-click-edit-on-a-post-nothing-happens/

I have still have another wordpress install with WPML 3.3.5 on it, and with tat version, everything is fine, so I guess the bug comes from v3.3.6.
I'll try the Access plugin and let you know if it resolves the issues, and if not, then I guess I will downgrade WPML manually to 3.3.5

February 10, 2016 at 10:26 am #809075

gersonF

Didn't work either. Now an editor can't even edit the main language directly from the page view. I gave "editor" and this specific user all rights, and still the same.

However, after I was planning to uninstall the Access-Plugin I first deselected pages "managed by access" and after that it worked! Very strange. Maybe by deselecting the rights were given back to WP itself again to manage and this rewrote the rights to a correct state and fixed the rights issue formerly caused by WPML.

For me, this is now fixed as it seems, but WPML still has a bug you have to check out.

February 10, 2016 at 10:51 am #809128

Thomas

This is very interesting. I will inform our developers.

Thanks for sharing.

February 10, 2016 at 10:59 am #809138

Jean-Yves

Installing Toolset Access has 'fixed' the issue.
You still have to go in 'Access' -> then go to the bottom of the page and click 'Add permission for languages'. Fill in the options, and you're finally good to go.

But still, it's more like a workaround and I consider this issue is not resolved.
Installing a plugin to fix a bug in another plugin is not a solution to me : I know WPML and Toolset are the same company, and this feels a bit like you are forcing people to buy your plugins...
The permissions management for translations should be entirely included into WPML and not in another plugin! And I don't care if that other plugin is free or not, I just don't want to install unnecessary plugins on my websites!

February 10, 2016 at 7:26 pm #809685

aliC

Same problem here. Before updating WPML, everything was normal. Waiting for a solution or update immediately.

January 24, 2018 at 1:59 pm #1495463

bernhardK-4

We have exactly the same problem!
This unacceptable error is still existing. My customers can't edit their content!

We run the latest versions of WordPress and WPML:
Wordpress Version: 4.9.2
WPML Multilingual CMS Version 3.9.2
WPML String Translation Version 2.7.2
WPML Translation Management Version 2.5.1

July 12, 2018 at 12:30 pm #2489574

Carsten Lund Thomsen

We had the same problem, editors got the ?post_type=page### issue and couldn't translate. We HAD to use Translation Management because we use Toolset for custom fields.

The solution was for us rather simple, after hours and hours of trying:

- Make yourself 'Translation Manager' (in Translation management').
- Assign editors (which are 'local translators') to translate the languages needed.
- Solved!

I hope this note will help others because the solution is SO simple when we found it, that I just don't understand why the WPML moderators do not mentioned this.

Cheers,
Carsten

October 29, 2018 at 10:55 am #2857554

santiagoM-10

Thank you Carsten. It works!