This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: User with role other than administrator cannot translate the posts

Note: This is not a bug. It is intended behavior added by plugin.

Solution 1:

Go to WPML -> Translation management -> "Translators" tab. In the list of translators, clicked on "edit languages" for each user, and checked all the languages combinations.

Solution 2:

Install Access plugin and refer this documentation: https://wpml.org/2016/01/allow-certain-users-edit-specific-languages/

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/2016/01/allow-certain-users-edit-specific-languages/

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by ninoL 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ankit.

Author Posts
February 5, 2016 at 3:48 pm #806058

dianaB-2

I am trying to: As an administrator I can edit all posts and pages (in all languages), the editors in the website can't open items in the secundary language (if they click the title the URL gives '###' instead of the post-ID (as administrator I don't have this problem). The site functioned well before the last update of WP (to 4.4.2) and WPML (to 3.3.6)

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: That editors can also open posts in secundary language (English, as Dutch is the default language) to edit the content in those posts.

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

February 6, 2016 at 7:01 am #806382

shane

Hi, I have the same issue on my site. It was also working fine before the most recent update of WPML and WP. Assistance would be very much appreciated, thanks.

February 8, 2016 at 9:54 am #806988

Ankit

Hi,

This is Ankit from wpml support. I will assist you with this issue.

This issue was already reported and we have discussed the issue with our developers.

Our development team suggested that only administrator should be allowed to create translations without being added as a translator. For any other users - you need to have the user added as a translator for the language first.

One workaround to this situation is:

Go to WPML -> Translation management -> "Translators" tab.
In the list of translators, clicked on "edit languages" for each user, and checked all the languages combinations.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Ankit

February 8, 2016 at 10:19 am #807019

dianaB-2

Hello Ankit,
Thank you for your reply. This was already done before the latest update to WPML and it was working then. All editor have translation rights (both ways) but are unable to open posts when in secundary language. They can however open posts when in primary language and than clicking the edit icon of the secondary language (after the post title).
Hope you and your team can fix this bug. If you need any more info please let me know.
Kind regards,
Job

February 8, 2016 at 10:52 am #807071

Ankit

Hi,

Can you please give me steps to reproduce this issue?

I have created editor account in my test site and can access the translation of posts. (When mentioned workaround is applied)

February 8, 2016 at 4:40 pm #807498

dianaB-2

I don't know the steps to reproduce this issue, I had a working site in WP 4.4.1 and WPML (forlast version). I updated both to the last version using the update page in WP. And now the editors can't open the English content (secundary language) when switched to the secundary language. Except from updating the CMS and plugin nothing has changed.

I could provide a backup of the entire site and database if you would like that, so you can see for yourself?

Kind regards,
Job Kuipers

February 9, 2016 at 10:24 am #808019

Ankit

Hi,

Can you please read this article? https://wpml.org/2016/01/allow-certain-users-edit-specific-languages/

Access plugin might help you in this situation. You will have to provide the rights to the users which you want to allow to edit/translate posts in secondary languages.

Regards,
Ankit

February 10, 2016 at 10:38 am #809098

dianaB-2

Thanks Ankit, this solved my problem.
Although I liked it better when it worked without the need of this extra plugin (as it did before the latest plugin and WordPress update).

Kind regards,
Job

February 11, 2016 at 9:43 am #810111

shane

Hi Ankit, I also installed the Access plugin and configured it but I am experiencing a website performance issue when it is activated. You can see the error it's causing in the screenshot. I've had to disable the plugin for now...not sure how to proceed

February 15, 2016 at 11:58 am #812943

Gregori

Hi, we are having the same problem, when wil this bug be fixed?, would prefer not to install extra plugins.

February 19, 2016 at 5:23 am #817791

shane

Hi Ankit, I'm not sure how you managed to post this as resolved as the Access plugin you mentioned is throwing up an error for my site, as stated in my previous comment on 11 February?

March 22, 2016 at 7:51 am #843135

matsL-4

Hi, we also have the same problem as dianaB-2. Tried solution 1 and 2, but no changes.
When an Siteadministrator tries to edit an article it gives '###' instead of the post-ID.

October 18, 2018 at 2:06 pm #2828217

ninoL

Hi!
I also can cofirm I have the same problem today.

"Editor" user can't provide translations (edit current ones or add new pages/posts)

Steps done:
1. granted user with problem suggestion above (Go to WPML -> Translation management -> "Translators" tab...)
2. tried to create a new language post clicking on the "plus" icon aside the post name
3. on click, it only adds "###" on the end of the link.

WP version 4.9.8.
WPML version 4.0.7

P.S. please provide the solution without installing another plugin! (WTF?!?!)