This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When we create some (any) blocks in Elementor, and then duplicate the page to one of the other languages on our site, the duplicate will have only 1 elementor block in it, a normal text editor, with unstyled content. Solution: The issue is happening because this particular custom field _elementor_data is not copied to the duplicated page and I think this is mandatory to make Elementor work correctly, especially with WPML Classic Translation Editor and ATE.

A workaround would be to translate the page rather than duplicating it. WPML will keep the layout/design of the page for the translation. Relevant Documentation:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by demjanV 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
June 24, 2019 at 12:05 pm

demjanV

If I create some (any) blocks in Elementor, and then duplicate the page to one of the other languages on our site, the duplicate will have only 1 elementor block in it, a normal text editor, with unstyled content.

I've disabled all but our most core plugins now and this issue still persists. We do have the Duplicator plugin installed and duplicating via that plugin is 90% of the time ok, but 10% of the time the same thing happens. I haven't noticed any pattern.

June 24, 2019 at 5:29 pm #4078999

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

Please use Duplicator filters to exclude uploads and cache folders in order to reduce the size of the package. I activated the private box to share the link to download the package.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

July 3, 2019 at 9:43 am #4134121

demjanV

Sorry, I meant to say we have the Duplicate Page plugin installed, not Duplicator. I can't currently provide you with a duplicator export, that's why I gave you access to the site.

Please debug it on the site. It's ok if you break it, it's our dev server.

July 3, 2019 at 10:41 am #4135045

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

The issue is happening because this particular custom field _elementor_data is not copied to the duplicated page and I think this is mandatory to make Elementor work correctly, especially with WPML Classic Translation Editor and ATE.

My suggestion would be to translate the page rather than duplicating it. WPML will keep the layout/design of the page for the translation. Can this be a viable solution for you? Or does your use case require that you duplicate a page to secondary language?

Maybe I did not understand your request from the first hand, if you think so, please explain again with more details and attach screenshots if possible.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Jamal

July 3, 2019 at 11:58 am #4135961

demjanV

I think you understood me correctly.

I get that the field is missing, but I would expect to see that field as settable under WPML field translation options (see attachment), I even clicked show system fields, and it's not there.

Do you have any idea why it could be missing?

If there is not other way to do it we will of course Translate the pages, but Duplication makes a lot more sense for us, because we have markets with the same language (fr_FR, fr_BE, fr_CH, etc...) that just need minor adjustments to pages. It's quite tedious to recreate so many pages manually, and I actually remember this working in the past.

Thank you

July 3, 2019 at 4:37 pm #4138177

Jamal
Supporter

Hi,

I cannot really tell why the custom field is not there. What I can tell is that page builders use custom fields in different ways and WPML try to translate the content in its proper way.

According to your debug information, the default language is English. All translations are sent from English to other languages. I assume you are talking about duplicating the French translation to fr-be as an example. I guess in this case, you will need to do the translation manually. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Jamal

July 11, 2019 at 3:55 pm #4191659

demjanV

Yes, we write posts in English, then duplicate to FR/DE/IT, and from each of those to their sub languages, like FR -> FR-BE / FR-CH.

Duplication is an important part of our workflow, it saves a lot of time.

It's too bad you can't find the problem, I also don't know why the field isn't there, but now we will need to change our workflows to accommodate this bug.

Currently, using the Duplicate Page plugin and then manually re-linking translations seems to work about 80% of the time.