This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by emmanuelT-3 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
March 13, 2019 at 9:46 am #3331435

emmanuelT-3

I am trying to:
Translate the strings included in an Elementor Form widget

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Site under development

I expected to see:
All the strings required for a full translation

Instead, I got:
There's an issue on 2 strings. In the WPML "Page translation" form:
- the "Form: Email subject" string appears twice. It's the 2nd one that seems to come from nowhere
- the "Form: Required message" string is missing

My WP/theme/plugins:
- WordPress 5.1.1 (last version)
- Theme OceanWP 1.6.4 (last version)
- Elementor 2.5.5 (last version)
- Elementor Pro 2.4.8 (last version)
- WPML Media 2.5.1 (last version)
- WPML Multilingual CMS 4.2.4.1 (last version)
- WPML String Translation 2.10.2 (last version)
- WPML Translation Management 2.8.3 (last version)

Process to reproduce the issue:
- Create a new page > Edit with Elementor > Add a Form widget > Edit the Form widget parameters
- Change the Content > Email > Subject field value
- Switch the Content > Additional Options > Custom Messages > to "On"
- Save the page
- Go to Menu > Pages > Create a language translation for the new page > You should see that the "Form: Email subject" string appears twice, the 2nd one does not have the string you modified when you created the page and the "Form: Required message" string is missing.

March 13, 2019 at 4:23 pm #3336269

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

I have recreated the issue on a new installation of WordPress 5.1.1. with the above mentioned plugins. I was not able to recreate the issue but I got to mention that sadly I do not have the latest version of Elementor Pro available.

It would be very helpful if you could add it to the test site:

hidden link

In case the issue might now be realted to the latest Elementor Pro version then it might be related to a compatibility issue with another plugin. You can inspect this by deactivating any additional plugin and to see if the issue will be solved.
Then reactivate each plugin until the issue appears again. This way we will be able to contact the respective plugin author for further investigation.

To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards
Andreas

March 14, 2019 at 3:42 pm #3346493

emmanuelT-3

Hi Andreas,

Sorry for the late reply.

> I have recreated the issue on a new installation of WordPress 5.1.1.
> with the above mentioned plugins. I was not able to recreate the issue...

Sorry I'm not sure to understand.
Have you recreated the issue or not?

> ...I got to mention that sadly I do not have the latest version of
> Elementor Pro available.

That's not important. The issue is the same weather you have Elementor 2.4.8 or 2.4.7 like on your test site.

BTW, as you gave me the link, I've recreated the issue easily on your test site.
It's the page "Test form".
And I assume yours is the page "WPML Elementor Form Test" which also shows the same issue I described (cf. screen shots).

> In case the issue might now be realted to the latest Elementor Pro version...

No, it's not related to the last version. 2.4.7 or 2.4.8 same issue.

Thanks!

March 14, 2019 at 11:38 pm #3349171

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

You still did not provide the WPML debug information. Could you please add it to your next reply?
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

In order to verify if WPML has a compatibility issue with another plugin it is necessary to recreate the issue with the given plugins on a new installation.

As the issue does not appear on my test the problem might be caused by the theme, another plugin or custom coding.

Could you please try to run the site in minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

Please disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons. If the issue disappears please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.

Also please change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related.

Further, you could enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.
More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Please have a look at my test site. The form is translated. Each string appears as translated with one exception "This field is required". The field does not appear on the Translation Editor and I will further investigate about this.

In regards to your issue described about the Email subject, you will be able to find the email that was send out on my request on the German form at Settings -> Emails Catch All.
The subject is translated. (See screenshot)

You created a test page on the sandbox site which has not any translated form. Could you please clarify your request so that I can further assist you on this matter? I would further like to have a look at your site.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

March 15, 2019 at 8:37 am #3352009

emmanuelT-3

Hi Andreas,

> You still did not provide the WPML debug information.

I will not.
1. It's far too intrusive
2. It's really not needed in this case

> As the issue does not appear on my test the problem might
> be caused by the theme, another plugin or custom coding.

I don't understand. It looks like you're not looking at the right thing or at the right place.

The problem as described in the ticket is:

Expect to see: "All the strings required for a full translation" of the "Form widget"
Instead, I got: "There's an issue on 2 strings. In the WPML "Page translation" form:
- the "Form: Email subject" string appears twice. It's the 2nd one that seems to come from nowhere
- the "Form: Required message" string is missing"
So out of all the strings part of the translation, there 1 duplicate and 1 string missing.

That's all. The issue is only about 2 specific strings when it comes to translate a specific widget (the Form widget) on Elementor.

Now, that said, the problem as described IS VISIBLE on the 2 pages "Test form" and "WPML Elementor Form Test" on YOUR test site.
My 2 screen shots above are coming from your test site as you can see (cf. your translation).
So it's done. You easily reproduce the issue and can now do all the additional tests you want.

Are you looking at the right place?

Go to Pages > All pages and click on one of the 2 crown wheels to "Edit the German translation" of one of the 2 pages.

There you will see 2 strings called "Form: Email subject".
And the string called "Form: Required message" is missing.

That's it.

> Please have a look at my test site. The form is translated.

That's not the issue. If you're looking at weather most translation strings are there and correct, that's not the problem. The issue is about 2 strings within this translation: 1 duplicate and 1 missing.

> Each string appears as translated with one exception "This field is required".
> The field does not appear on the Translation Editor and I will further investigate about this.

Voilà! That's 1 of the 2 issues.

> In regards to your issue described about the Email subject, you will
> be able to find the email that was send out on my request on the
> German form at Settings -> Emails Catch All.
> The subject is translated. (See screenshot)

But that's not the issue.
I know the right string is available for translation and the translation works.
The issue is that this "Form: Email subject" appears twice.
The 1st one is the correct one. Working.
The 2nd one is a duplicate. Not working and misleading.

That's the 2nd issue. There's a not working duplicate to remove.

Thanks.

March 15, 2019 at 4:44 pm #3355743

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying your request again. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have escalated the issue to our compatibility team which will work on solving the problem.
I will keep you updated about the progress.

Kind regards
Andreas

March 15, 2019 at 11:41 pm #3357203

emmanuelT-3

> I have escalated the issue to our compatibility team which will work
> on solving the problem.
> I will keep you updated about the progress.

Thanks!

I have one last question, for my understanding.

Normally, in such cases, for similar issues, who is supposed to fix the issue?
- Is it the plugin team (in this case Elementor) who should fix the compatibility with WPML,
- or is it the WPML team who creates and fix the compatibility with plugins?

I had the feeling it was plugin developers who had to code their plugins respecting some guidelines to ensure the compatibility of their plugins with WPML.

But for the issue of this ticket, I first posted it to the Elementor support.
I got an immediate answer saying they have nothing to do with translations and I had to post the issue to you.
And indeed, here you seem to say that your team may be able to fix the issue. Which means it would be WPML who creates and maintain the compatibility of Elementor with WPML.

I'm a bit surprised. If WPML do so, you would have to build and maintain the compatibility of hundred or even thousands of plugins :-/

Can you clarify how it works for me?
Don't spend too much time on the question, just a short explanation in 2 or 3 lines?
It would help to know who I should ask for future issues with other plugins.

Thanks!

March 18, 2019 at 9:31 pm #3373501

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

Indeed, our compatibility team is very busy with supporting clients about issue with plugins and themes.

Indeed, we do need to work with the authors hand in hand in order to achieve the goals and every issue is quiet different from each other.

As example: If strings do not show up as translatable inside a plugin or theme, than this is most likely caused due to a programming issue (missing GetText call) inside the same theme or plugin.

On the other side, we also handle with issue between PHP functions. Therefore it is important that each function of a plugin or theme needs a proper prefix, which are also issues, that are often caused by authors.

Nonetheless, I am quiet not that familiar with the cause of this particular compatibility process between Elementor and WPML, but I am glad to inform you that this issue will be solved in our next update. Therefor, it seems the problem was this time on our side.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 3, 2019 at 4:58 pm #3529049

emmanuelT-3

Hi Andreas,

The issue does not seem to be fixed in the new 4.2.5 version of today.
Worst, you can add on the ticket that there's now also 2 "Form: Email Content" fields!
Another duplicate that did not exist in the previous version.

Do you know in which version it will be fixed?

Best regards,

Emmanuel

April 24, 2019 at 10:43 pm #3677413

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am writing you as you informed us that the previous update for WPML did not solve the issue on your site.

We have just released WPML 4.2.6 and updates for various add-ons. Could you please update your plugins by going to Plugins -> Add new -> Commercial.

Let me know if you need any further assistance or please feel free to mark this ticket as resolved.

Thank you!

Kind regards
Andreas

April 25, 2019 at 7:28 am #3679499

emmanuelT-3

Hi Andreas,

I have update the following plug-ins...
- WPML Multilingual CMS 4.2.6
- String Translation 2.10.4
- Translation Management 2.8.5
- Media Translation 2.5.2
- WooCommerce Multilingual 4.6.1

But nothing is fixed. Which is quite consistent with the release notes that do not mention anything regarding my issue.

Am I supposed to update anything else?
As my issue is related to Elementor, so it's not to Gravity Forms, Contact Form 7, BuddyPress, ACF, WP All Import, MailChimp or Yoast SEO.
For Toolset Types, Toolset Views Lite, Toolset Module Manager, Sticky Links and CMS Navigation, I don't know.

May 6, 2019 at 9:55 pm #3752827

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Could you please go to WPML -> Theme and Plugin Localization and scan the Elementor Plugin for new strings.

Then, go to your page with the form included and give the form an update. Now, retranslate the form. Are you now able to see the strings?

Kind regards
Andreas

May 7, 2019 at 10:04 pm #3762327

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding from my side. The changes have not been implemented inside the last update but they should be available in the upcoming one.

Thank you very much for your understanding and your patience.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 18, 2019 at 8:27 am #4041349

emmanuelT-3

Hi Andreas,

> The changes have not been implemented inside the last update
> but they should be available in the upcoming one.

Still not fixed in the last release 🙁

How many months will we still have to wait for two small issue clearly identified, with the fix found and that should have been fixed in March?

What's the status now?
Why are they not releasing your fix?

June 18, 2019 at 2:39 pm #4044481

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am really sorry about the inconvenience.

Indeed, I have just recreated the issue on a fresh installation.

The issues was marked as solved so it might be possibly that there was only some issue about implementing the changes into the lastest updates.

The compatbility team is informed and as soon I receive feedback I will be in contact.

Kind regards
Andreas