This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 4:33 pm #2791313

petrJ-7

Hi,

I'm using WPML together with Elementor. In most cases I'm ok with String Translation (or whatever is called the way, when I'm translting only blocks of text without touching a design of the page). But sometimes I need to make translated page completely differently, including different graphic design.

So I would need to make a "manual" translation by copying the whole content of the page to different language and edit/translate it in Elementor.

How can I do that on per page basis?

Thanks
Petr

October 8, 2018 at 3:49 pm #2796782

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi Petr and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I totally understand what you are looking for and WPML allows you to have different content per language giving you the possibility to add translated content manually.

Here is the main place where you have a lot of documentation available:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/

You will see on the right sidebar that there are a lot of helpful links.

I think the links below will be very helpful for what you want to accomplish:

Please let me know if you managed to translate the page that you want or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your reply.

October 8, 2018 at 5:10 pm #2797001

petrJ-7

Hi Mihai,

believe me, I've read the documentation.

So, here is my problem explained again:

1. I'm using Elementor and my "Translation editor options" is set to "Use the Classic Translation Editor"

2. In 90% of pages I'm fine with that, but sometimes I need to make translated page completely different and make it in Elementor from a scratch (as if it was a new page).

3. How can I achieve that, without changing global "Translation editor options". There's no such an option in the page dashboard.

I've tried to switch the language using the admin menu bar option, while I was in the dashboard of the original page. The pop up emerged with this message:

Warning: You are trying to edit a translation using the standard WordPress editor but your site is configured to use the WPML Translation Editor.

I clicked Edit Anyway and clicked the button Edit in Elementor. Then I was in Elementor and could edit the page. But when I returned to the Pages list and clicked on the pencil icon to edit the translation again, I ended up in the "Classic Translation Editor" (non Elementor page), moreover with the old translation, without the changes made in Elementor.

So, please "enlighten" me, how should I do that correctly.

Thanks
Petr

October 10, 2018 at 2:24 pm #2804747

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Petr.

I totally understand what you mean.

Here is how you can accomplish what you need.

1. Go to WPML -> Translation Management
2. Select the page that you want by checking the rounded box next to it
3. Scroll down and check the "Duplicate content" box for the language that you want to duplicate that page to
4. Click the blue "Duplicate" button
5. Now select the flag of the language you duplicated the page to from the top WordPress admin bar so that you can switch to that language
6. While you are still in the admin panel, go to Pages and under the title of the page you just duplicated click the first text link that's called "Edit"
7. Now the normal WordPress editor should open (you might see a notification window telling you "Warning: You are trying to edit a translation using the standard WordPress editor but your site is configured to use the WPML Translation Editor." > this will show if you are using the Classic Translation Editor so if this shows up, click on the "Edit anyway" button)
8. Now on the right side of the screen, at the top, you will see a section called "Language" that has a blue box displaying this information "This document is a duplicate of Test elementor page and it is maintained by WPML. WPML will no longer synchronize this page with the original content." (I am attaching a screenshot of this section, too)
9. Click "Translate independently", wait for the page to refresh and you might see again the "Edit anyway" window so click that button one more time

Now you should be all set up in using different versions of the original page having all the freedom you need to build different layouts or use other content structure.

Let me know how it goes.

October 18, 2018 at 10:31 am #2827606

petrJ-7

Well, you have provided me with the info, how I can translate Elementor page manually. That is something I was able to manage myself, even though different way.

My problem is to "preserve" this setting, when I click to language edit (pencil icon) in the Pages admin page (see the screenshot). When I click the pencil icon there, I'm back to Translation Editor and my Elementor edits are lost.

Imagine this situation:

1. I have 20 pages translated with translation editor, 1 with manual translation.
2. Now the pages edits an Editor, not me.
3. Editor was told that all the pages translations should be edited by clicking the pencil icon on the Page admin page.
4.Works fine for 20 normal pages, but when he edits the one page translated manually in Elementor, he deletes several hours of my work in one click!!!!

There should be at least some warning that this page is tranlated diffrently.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks

October 19, 2018 at 12:35 pm #2831971

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I'm not sure if I understand right what you actually mean.

If we follow the steps I suggested in my last post, after the 'Duplicate' process, you should be able to simply choose the flag from the top of your WordPress dashboard, selecting the flag language that you want to change to, then go to the "Pages" section and instead of clicking the pencil icon, just click the "Edit" text link found under the page title (I will also attach a screenshot).

Please let me know if this did the trick or let me know if maybe I don't understand things right.

Can you also please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?

Here is how you can do that:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 19, 2018 at 1:19 pm #2832211

petrJ-7

Hello,

I understand you completely. But the problem is, my clients don't.

It's hard to explain them that some of the pages they should translate one way and some the other way.

Further problem is, that you cannot see which type of the translation should be used.

And the biggest problem is, that when you use the Translation editor on manually translated page, your Elementor settings are lost without any warning.

I would expect, that if the page is once translated manually, it should be tranlated manually using any method, until the method is changed again.

Otherwise the translation process will become complete mess.

So if this is not possible now, could you please provide me with the info, where I can suggest such a feature to the developers?

Thanks
Petr

October 22, 2018 at 2:48 pm #2838521

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Petr.

I understand what you mean.

The cause of the issue is that the manual translations are saved in the wp_posts table while the Translation Editor translations are saved as String packages.

This is why when you use one method for translation, you can't see the translations on the other method.

However, I totally get your point! Thank you very much for your suggestion.

We added your idea to our feature list and will consider them.

If or when exactly our developers will add a new feature is not up to us to determine.

Each issue reported in, whether a bug or a new feature request, is taken seriously into consideration. It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors. Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.

I will close this ticket for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai