This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Sometimes when we save a German page or post, the categories become reversed: If the German post had a category "Haus", it suddenly would have the category "house" Solution: " Disabling "Auto Adjust ID" did the trick it seems. "

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by agnesH-3 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 13, 2019 at 7:43 am #4010271

agnesH-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?
We have a large site that contains hundreds of Elementor pages and posts in two languages: German and English. Sometimes when we save a German page or post, the categories become reversed: If the German post had a category "Haus", it suddenly would have the category "house" - the English equivalent. Of course, this makes the site unusable sind our categories effectively become unreliable und useless. This happens roughly every tenth time when we hit "save" in Elementor.

This is a WPML issue though - it works if we deactivate WPML. One important thing to note: Often, our category names are the same in English as well as in German, meaning both could have the name "Business Development", however, there are 2 seperate categories with 2 seperate slugs for it. I'm thinking WPML might mix them up because of this.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
No

Is there a similar example that we can see?
No

What is the link to your site?
Still under development (localhost)

Is there any known issue for this? I searched for hours already on all kinds of forums, but it doesn't appear there is any known issue like this.

June 13, 2019 at 9:31 am #4011135

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

This happens roughly every tenth time when we hit "save" in Elementor.

The trouble is that if we do not know the exact moment on when something happens, we are unable to debug it because we cannot trace stack to the bottom when it is happening. Therefore, the only path we can take at this point is that you try doing various things on the site, such as:

- Updating themes, plugins
- creating new translations with the affected categories
- updating either categories or translations
- etc.

So basically trying to find the trigger. I know this might be very difficult (or even impossible), but there is no other way for us to assist until we know what is causing it.

But as for this:

If the German post had a category "Haus", it suddenly would have the category "house" - the English equivalent.

Are you able to set English categories on German posts, or? Because this should not be possible (see my image). Or is the issue that the category name changes or these posts get reassigned to categories of other languages in some way?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 14, 2019 at 6:22 pm #4023591

agnesH-3

Hey Bruno,

This happens roughly every tenth time when we hit "save" in Elementor.
Yes, we tried all of the above already. Nothing worked so far 🙁

If the German post had a category "Haus", it suddenly would have the category "house" - the English equivalent.
After saving, I see in the post overview page that those posts suddenly are reassigned to the English equivalent categories - I cannot assign those categories manually myself when I work on a German post, as you said. This means this happens somehwere on the code while saving.
Thanks for looking into it.

June 15, 2019 at 6:53 am #4025703

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Since we are unable to reproduce this, I am thinking that the best course would be the following:
- create a Duplicator package before any of these issues occurred
- create another Duplicator package afterthe issue has happened
- if possible, let us know at which moment or which action produced the issue
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

With all these data available, I would bring this to our 2nd tier for further debugging, hopefully they may find some answers on why is this happening by examining database directly. Let me know if you think there's some other way perhaps, but I do not see it at this point.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 21, 2019 at 12:53 pm #4067249

agnesH-3

Hey Bruno,

thanks!

I could not use Duplicator, because the site has so many pictures in it. So here is what I did:
I took a DB dump before the issue occured, and one after the issue occured. I can also give you the whole underlying code of the site, which should enable you to run the site locally too (you'll need a good computer).

The DB files are 50 MB each. How can I send you those files?

June 21, 2019 at 1:35 pm #4067507

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I have opened private reply box for you ( that will be the next reply of yours). You can either put links to database directly as a message or use any of the templates I have enabled for you.

Once I get these links, I will pass this on to our 2nd tier support for further investigations.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 27, 2019 at 6:31 am #4096903

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for providing this - I have asked our 2nd tier about this, Hopefully they will be able to use database dumps to find out what's wrong. I will keep you posted whether they will be able to help or if I will have any questions.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 27, 2019 at 9:11 am #4098263

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I have received some news from our 2nd tier. This is what they are suggesting to be our next steps:

"I suggest that you test by using categories with different slug and then categories with different name. It is very possible that an old issue is recurring here and that would clear it up if it is the same. Also perhaps enabling or disabling “Auto-adjust ID” setting in WPML > Languages could help. Also try and enable ajax cookie setting there too. (WPML -> Languages -> Language filtering for AJAX operations".

So our 2nd tier may have some insights on whether this was a recurring issue sometime in the past and we are trying to exclude/ confirm if that's really the case.

When it comes to this part:

I suggest that you test by using categories with different slug and then categories with different name

Can you tell me If you need clarification with this? So the idea would be the following:
- See if this occurs on posts where the category name is different on English and German
- see if this occurs if slug is different between the languages

I think this will allow us to narrow the problem.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 9, 2019 at 7:23 am #4167979

agnesH-3

My issue is resolved now. Disabling "Auto Adjust ID" did the trick it seems. Thank you!