This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by antonS-27 6 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
March 27, 2019 at 3:04 pm

antonS-27

I am trying to: Translate a page created with WPBakery Visual Composer bundled with Uncode Theme from English to German.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Please check the page "test translate" in the wordpress backend.

I expected to see: All text elements present in the page to be shown in the translation editor.

Instead, I got: Only very few of the elements showing up. The following elements are missing: Icon Box, Button, Text Block and Single Media. Only Heading shows up.

I have tried with the Classic Translation Editor at the beginning to no success, then I found this video instruction on translating pages in Uncode with the Advanced Translation Editor - https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/build-multilingual-wordpress-websites-using-uncode-theme-and-wpml/
But ATE also doesn't show all elements.

Am I missing an important setting or config file? I came across the idea of WPML-config.xml files but did not understand how those apply in my case and what I should do with them.

Regards,
Anton

March 27, 2019 at 4:36 pm #3473807

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. In order to translate your missing elements you have some choices:

Integrating the missing shortcodes in the translation editor using the xml-config code.

It is possible to integrate the missing shortcodes to be translated with the translation editor using a xml code for that. Please, try the following:

1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > Pages click to edit the page where you have the missing WPBakery shortcodes.

2 - Click to view the page html source instead of the page blocks view.

3 - Now you should be able to write the proper xml code in yourWordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration to make the missing shortcodes translatable with the Translation Editor.

See:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/how-to-build-multilingual-sites-with-wpbakery-page-builder-and-wpml/

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-integration-with-page-builders-that-use-shortcodes/

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#page-builder-content

Duplicating the page and using the default WordPress page/post editor to teanslate it.

It is the easier option if you don't want to use custom code to integrate the missing page builder shortcodes. Here are the details.

1 - Create your desired page in the default language using your Page Builder.

2 - Click to duplicate the created page and choose to edit it using the default WordPress page/post editor.

3 - Click to edit the page and translate its content using the default WordPress page/post editor.

See:

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

Please, let me know if it helps. Have a nice day.

March 28, 2019 at 8:22 am #3478109

antonS-27

Hi Marcos,
Thanks for the info. Option 1 "integrating the missing shortcodes" is what I would like to do. I have been using option 2 so far and as a workflow is not good when a page such as the front page is updated often.
However I still could not figure out how to integrate a shortcode. Maybe you can help me with the following two things:
1. give me a concrete example for how to embed the shortcode for one element - lets say the Text Block
2. Since Uncode is such a popular theme, maybe someone already created all the shortcodes that need to be pasted in the XML configuration. However I couldn't find one. Maybe you can help me with that by checking your support issue tickets database?
Regards,
Anton

March 29, 2019 at 1:58 pm #3491921

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Please, try these steps:

1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > Pages click to edit your test page.

2 - Click the 'Classic Mode' button to view the page shortcodes names, in our sample case, let's choose the 'vc_column_text' shortcode.

3 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration tab, enter the following code:

<wpml-config>
    <shortcodes>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>vc_column_text</tag>
        </shortcode>
    </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

As you already have a xml custom code in place, you can paste just the portion of code to register the 'vc_column_text' shortcode, between the <shortcodes> node (see attached screenshot), something like:

<shortcode>
     <tag>vc_column_text</tag>
</shortcode>

3 - Make a minor update to your default language page in order to make the shortcode content visible in the translation editor.

4 - Now you should be able to translate it (see attached screenshot).

5 - Remeber some shortcodes needs additional paramenters. Please, refer to the provided resources in my previous reply.

Hope it helps, have a nice day.

April 11, 2019 at 10:15 am #3585971

antonS-27

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!