Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 5, 2017 at 3:18 pm #1312746

sarah grothe

We have a multilingual website (German, English, Spanish, Polish) but our blog is available only in English. We want to embed the english blog to all menus. Furthermore, we want that the menu/language doesn´t switch when navigating to the blog.

We have manually translated the menu and inserted an individual link to the blog. When navigating to the blog from the Spanish menu we want that the user has the possibility to stay with the Spanish language / menu. We currently experience that the menu/languages switches when navigating from the Spanish menu/language to the blog.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: Not yet online... :/

Thx for your support 🙂

July 5, 2017 at 6:39 pm #1312946

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello Sarah,
Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

I recommend you to visit this link where you will find the steps to achieve your goal: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-using-content-duplication/

Basically you must overwrite the content of your blog entries in the other languages, in this way your english content will be shown in every language without altering the rest of the components of the site e.g: Menus, Widgets, etc.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.
Kind regards,
Carlos

July 6, 2017 at 11:28 am #1313415

sarah grothe

Hi Carlos,
Thanks for your quick answer! I followed the description and duplicated the page with our post overview. Works out! Now we have to do the same with our posts.

We do have 200 posts and to avoid to duplicate each of them manually I would rather prefer to use the Batch-Duplicating function. But in the post overview site we do not have the WPML’s Translation Dashboard. Any suggestion how to proceed?

Thx
Sarah

July 6, 2017 at 1:55 pm #1313586

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Sarah,

Please make sure all the WPML plugins are up to date.
My recommendation is to upgrade your WPML subscription in order to get the batch duplicator feature. There is also the duplicate one-by-one post option and further on, the custom code option.

Kind regards,
Carlos

July 6, 2017 at 2:04 pm #1313610

sarah grothe

Hi Carlos,
Plugins are all up to date and I already purchased the Multilingual CMS Lifetime version of WPML. But can't find the "batch duplicator feature" in the download area of my account. Could you give me some more specific details where I can find it?
Thx
Sarah

July 6, 2017 at 2:15 pm #1313626

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Yes, please visit this link, in the Batch-Duplicating Using the Translation Dashboard section:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-using-content-duplication/

Regards,
Carlos

July 7, 2017 at 8:46 am #1314204

sarah grothe

Hi Carlos,

I am afraid that this was the link from the previous message. Got it how I actually would do the batch-duplication.

But my problem is that we do not have the WPML’s Translation Dashboard in the post overview backend. I will attach a screenshot to show you what is missing in our dashboard and why we can't execute the batch-duplication...

What can I do to enable/install the Translation Dashboard so the "All Languages" section is shown below the post overview? Please note that we want to duplicate our blog posts not pages as described in the manual (https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-using-content-duplication/)

Thx
Sarah

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-07 um 10.34.46.JPG
July 7, 2017 at 12:55 pm #1314428

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Sarah,
I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos

July 9, 2017 at 11:32 pm #1315287

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Sarah,

Please check this link: hidden link
The translation options sections is in WPML -> Translation management -> Translation options section

Regards,
Carlos

July 10, 2017 at 8:59 am #1315513

sarah grothe

Sorry Carlos,
could you please specify what you mean exactly? I haven't used WPML before and don't understand by your message what needs to be done.
What is the link URL supposed to show me? What do I exactly need to do in the Translation options section?
Thx
Sarah

July 10, 2017 at 1:17 pm #1315788

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Sarah,

No worries, we are here to help. First of all I recommend you to visit this links where you will learn how to work with WPML:
- hidden link
- https://wpml.org/documentation/beginners-guide-to-site-translation/
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

Once you understand how WPML works the next step will be duplicate the content in order to achieve your goal. For this you must go to WPML -> Translation Management -> Translation Dashboard tab -> Translation options section, to do a batch translation. Another way to do it is post by post: Edit the post, add a translation using the plus (+) button and click on the "Overwrite with English content" button.

Regards,
Carlos

July 11, 2017 at 12:36 pm #1316756

sarah grothe

Hi Carlos,

great, thanks! I thought to find the batch translation in the post overview. But found it. Before doing the duplication of almost 200 posts I have one question left regarding google and double content.

I already read the post https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-using-content-duplication/ with the information:

"After Version 3.3 WPML Changes due to Google Guidelines
Google updated its guidelines and recommends not using “rel=canonical” together with “rel-alternate-hreflang” across different language or country versions.
Therefore we removed this feature in WPML and let WordPress itself handle the tag “rel=canonical”."

Just to clarify what will be my to do to avoid double content when we duplicate all posts for different languages. Will everything be done automatically by WP/WPML? If not, could you give me some detailed information about how to proceed to avoid double content?

Just for information: We will use different domains for every language (German hidden link; Spanish hidden link.) but the blog will remain in English and will be embedded in all menus for every language.

Thank you very much for your support! (Sorry, first WPML setup 😉 )
Sarah

July 11, 2017 at 4:17 pm #1317037

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Sarah,

The process should be automatic, so no need to worry about the "rel" attribute. However, I recommend you to make a full backup of your website, including the database, for security reasons. If something fails you can always restore the backup and contact us again.

There is always a first time, including to install WPML 🙂

Thank you for your patience,
Regards,
Carlos

July 17, 2017 at 10:09 am #1320644

sarah grothe

Hi Carlos,
great, it worked out fine. Thanks a lot for your help and your patience 🙂
Sarah

July 17, 2017 at 2:48 pm #1320977

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Sarah,

It is always a pleasure to be helpful. If you need more assistance don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Carlos