Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by adyP 3 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
November 7, 2016 at 11:08 am #1131327

adyP

I am trying to: solve a big problem (for me it is)

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: all clear

Instead, I got:

Choose how to determine which language visitors see contents in

Different languages in directories ((/ - German, /en/ - English))
It looks like languages per directories will not function. Details

This can be a result of either:

WordPress is installed in a directory (not root) and you're using default links.
URL rewriting is not enabled in your web server.
The web server cannot write to the .htaccess file
How to fix
When WPML accesses /en?____icl_validate_directory=1 it gets:
A valid URL was not provided.

The expected value is:
<!--hidden link;

A different domain per language
Language name added as a parameter (hidden link - English)

Steps to duplicate the issue:

Please Help

Regards Ady

November 7, 2016 at 2:00 pm #1131495

Joanna

Hello @adyp,

Could you please go to Settings->Permalinks and check if you have permalink URL structure set to something different than the default "plain" option.
If not, please change it and save changes. If you already have a different URL structure, please re-save the settings.Then, check if the error message still occurs.

If so, please share the debug information. You will find the required information in WPML->Support->Debug Information. Please copy the info from the 'debug info' box and paste it in your next reply (it will be private).

November 7, 2016 at 5:52 pm #1131731

adyP

Hi Joanna,

nice to hear from you! I was having a nice weekend just trying to get the page working, but I didn't resolve my problem. So good to know somebody is helping!

As you said i turned the permalink situation but it didn't help.
I copied the debug information as requested.

Best regards and thanks for helping me 🙂
Ady

November 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm #1132515

Joanna

Hello @adyp,

I'd like to ask you to switch the theme to the default one, e.g. Twenty Sixteen, and deactivate all non-WPML plugins. Then, please check if you still get the error.

If not, please activate your theme first and check again. If the issue is still gone, please activate your plugins one by one and after each activation check if the error appears again. This will help us determine what is causing a possible compatibility issue.

If the issue still occurs with the default theme and all non-WPML plugins deactivated and if it's okay with you, I’d like to replicate your website locally. This will help me debug the issue and find the solution. For this, I'll need a snapshot of your site which you can create using a plugin called "Duplicator". This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content.

If you already know how Duplicator works (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/), please send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

Here's a great tutorial on how to use it: hidden link.

Please send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big). Your next reply will be private, which means that only you and I will be able to see it and have access to it. You can paste the links to the files there. You can also install the Duplicator plugin, create a snapshot and share the credentials to your website. I will then download the files from the admin panel.

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

November 9, 2016 at 2:06 pm #1133287

Joanna

Thank you for the Duplicator package, @adyp. I'll check what I can find there and get back to you.

November 9, 2016 at 2:26 pm #1133305

Joanna

Hello @adyp,

I found out that the issue is caused by the System Plugin from Go Daddy. You can find it under the Must-Use tab on the Plugins->All Plugins page. When the plugin is removed, everything works just fine.
I also noticed that the mentioned plugin produces some errors even when WPML is deactivated. If Go Daddy is your hosting provider and you need to have this plugin, please contact them to resolve the following error:
[php]
( ! ) Warning: parse_ini_file(): Filename cannot be empty! in ...\wp-content\mu-plugins\gd-system-plugin\includes\class-configs.php on line 158
[php]

If you don't need that plugin, you can just remove it from the wp-content\mu-plugins folder (but make sure that you don't need it).

If you still have issues with the "different languages in directories" option after fixing issues with the GD System Plugin, please let me know.

November 9, 2016 at 3:13 pm #1133350

adyP

Hi Joanna,

i tried to delete the plugin but daddy would not let me (no Admin Rights blabla)
I don't know whom i should write an email at godaddy to work at the error
(any suggestions) those people at the german callcenter don't know much about PHP errors

[php]
( ! ) Warning: parse_ini_file(): Filename cannot be empty! in ...\wp-content\mu-plugins\gd-system-plugin\includes\class-configs.php on line 158
[php]

the issue with the "different languages in directories" error is still there

any Ideas?

Ady

November 10, 2016 at 7:34 am #1133774

Joanna

Hello Ady,

Unfortunately, I don't know whom exactly you can contact. You need to ask the call center to point you to the right person.

Since the issue lies with Go Daddy's plugin, we can't really help with this particular issue and you need to work with your hosting provider.

November 14, 2016 at 9:33 pm #1136434

adyP

Hi there, thanks for asking, i still have the same problem. Even after deleting all the Godaddy plugins (more as one) the error is still there, I did see a older threads the same error and Denise seemed to found a solution. See the screenshot. Same error, same host, same plugin other solution?

November 15, 2016 at 9:04 am #1136655

Joanna

Hello @adyp,

I checked your database and Home in the wp_options table was empty as you suspected. I copied the value from URL. Everything seems to be fine now.

November 17, 2016 at 4:38 pm #1138749

adyP

Thanx Joanna, all is fine now

Best Regards
Ady