Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jesicaL-2 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
July 27, 2017 at 11:00 pm #1329292

jesicaL-2

I don't understand what's the meaning of ENCODE URLs. I want my site in 2 languages. I want the URL of the site stay clear and not have the "en" or "es" at the end of the URL for the main language of the site. I'm confused.

July 28, 2017 at 9:45 am #1329540

Joanna

Hello @jesical-2,

The "Encode URLs" option value determines if URLs in the specific language are encoded or use ASCII characters. This option is important only for languages that use non-latin characters, e.g. ą, ś, ż. If you choose to encode URLs (the "yes" option) then in URLs you'll have, e.g. "%C4%85" instead of "ą".

You can read more about the URL encoding at hidden link.

What you are trying to achieve has nothing to do with the URL encoding. To have the settings you want, please do the following:
1. Go to WPML->Languages.
2. Scroll down to the "Language URL format" section.
3. Choose the "Different languages in directories" option and leave the "Use directory for default language" disabled.
4. Save changes.
5. Go to Settings->Permalinks and re-save your settings. This will refresh all your permalinks.
Please note that in Settings->Permalinks you need to choose a format different from "Plain" in order for the aforementioned language URL format to work.

July 28, 2017 at 3:01 pm #1329823

jesicaL-2

thank you very much 🙂