Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
February 21, 2020 at 8:10 pm #5543661

andrewW-31

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Until recently, our site was available in 4 languages with the default being English. I added German to this but have encountered a problem with Media Translation.

Within WPML >> Media Translation, all existing media is now showing as German as the original language rather than English. This means that I cannot add the German translations in place. The site does appear to be working normally across all languages but I'm now stuck. Is it possible to 'reset' the original language back to English?

Further, how can I prevent this from happening again? I need to add a further 3 languages and don't want to face the same issue again.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

February 25, 2020 at 3:18 am #5558719

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Andrew,

Nice to see you back!

I have to admit that this is a bit strange. Are you sure that you didn't make any other change, other than just simply adding a new language?

When adding a new language, the media should stay assigned to the language that was used when uploaded.
    You always need to make sure that the right language is selected at the top admin bar before uploading any image to the dashboard area. The selected language is the one that will be used as the original language for that image.
    The language of a media file cannot be changed like you can do for a post or page, for example.

I just tried to add the German language to my website but the original language of the media elements didn't change.

Can you tell me if you previously had the German language active on your website? I'm thinking that maybe something happened while adding/removing the language.

I'm just trying to find a way to replicate this issue and pass it to my colleagues for investigation.

Thanks,
    Radu

February 25, 2020 at 8:07 am #5559875

andrewW-31

Hi Radu,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure that you didn't make any other change, other than just simply adding a new language?
    No, just added the new language. No media was uploaded after the addition of German, these are media files that have been in the library since the site was first launched (in English only).

Can you tell me if you previously had the German language active on your website? I'm thinking that maybe something happened while adding/removing the language.
    In a development site, we did have a range of languages active but when the site launched, these were removed as the translation work wasn't live.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Thanks,
    Andy

February 28, 2020 at 2:24 pm #5586087

Radu
    Supporter

Hey Andy,

I tried to replicate this issue again and look for some other threads with the same issue.

Also, have you tried to add the other three languages and see if the media original language is changing again, please? I tried to add and remove a lot of languages on my website but the original language of media files didn't change at any point.

If the language of the media files is not changing again (from German to anything else), then I think that I'll have to grab a copy of your website and pass it to my colleagues so they can have a closer look at it). But first I need to know if this happens again. And if it does, please let me know what languages are you using this time.

Thanks,
      Radu

March 2, 2020 at 12:41 pm #5599083

andrewW-31

Hi Radu,

Thanks for the reply - I've tried adding 3 further languages to a development copy of the site, but this hasn't resolved the issue (media remains in German).

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Cheers,
      Andy

March 16, 2020 at 10:46 am #5692373

andrewW-31

Thanks Radu. The migration is now underway. Since my last post, we've uncovered a number of other glitches - some content has now defaulted to French. In addition, we appear to have a duplicate privacy policy page too. Not sure if this helps or not!

March 17, 2020 at 10:24 am #5700287

Radu
      Supporter

Hey Andrew,

Just let me know when the migration is done and I'll check this out. Let's try to take care of the media files first and then we'll check the other elements too. Maybe the fix for the media elements will get everything back to normal, including the new issues.

Thanks,
        Radu

March 17, 2020 at 11:34 am #5701109

andrewW-31

Hi Radu,

Thanks for the reply - migration is finished.

Cheers,
        Andy

March 18, 2020 at 2:47 pm #5712133

Radu
        Supporter

Hey Andy,

Thank you for updating me about this. Can you send me the credentials to your website too, so I can access the dashboard area, please? The next reply is private so you can safely send me the credentials. Once I get them, I'll pass this to my colleagues for further checks.

Thanks,
          Radu

March 31, 2020 at 8:35 pm #5807953

Radu
          Supporter

Hey Andrew,

Sorry for the late reply. I made a couple of tests on the website copy to see if I can make the images go back to English (or any other language).
            It took me a bit longer because I wasn't able the use the credentials you send to me (I get a message that the password is not correct) so I had to reset the password through some custom PHP code.

As I can see, the original version of the images is in English, German, and Spanish. I tried to delete the German language to see if anything changes but the images are staying untouched.

I can only think that the language that was selected at the top of the admin bar, when uploading the image, wasn't English every time.
            You have to pay attention to what's the language selected at the top admin bar when uploading the image because that's gonna be the language that will be assigned as the default one.

For now, there's no option in WPML to change the default language of a media file. All you can do is delete it, and upload it back.

I added new languages, deleted a part of the existing ones, add and remove media files, but I couldn't replicate this issue.
            Since you cannot replicate it either, I'm pretty sure that this was just a one-time issue. Also, it's a good idea to keep a backup of your website so you can revert everything back when any issue appears on your website.

I'm sorry that I cannot do more about this. If this happens again, just come back here with a backup of the website (when everything was fine), tell me changes have you made when the issue appeared, and we'll definitely check this out.
            Right now, I cannot come with any fix because I cannot find anything wrong on the setup and the only guess is that the language was different when uploading each media file.

Thanks,
            Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Encountered an issue after adding a new language – media file problem’ is closed to new replies.