This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
February 24, 2019 at 12:18 pm #3236617

feryK

I am trying to: Change an english word but there is no such option.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

I use this plugin the first time since i've bought it for a bigger project but it seems what i've bought isn't so feature rich than marketed because the most important and at the same time most basic feature is not implemented.

I've searched the forums and i found out that it's not possible to change the English terms without messing with the core files (!!!) so what would you suggest as alternative? Loco translate? I've paid $200 for a so called "gold standard" plugin and i'm not even able to translate the strings without rocket science? So seriously what would you suggest in my case? A other free Plugin?

Or is this feature already there but i'm to blind to see it?

Thank you in advance

February 25, 2019 at 2:32 am #3237768

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

First I friendly remind you that WPML was supposed to created to translate the content to another languages. not to change the word in the same language and we never advised it and said something like "a word can be changed in a the same language" 🙂

Anyhow, you can still change the word with in a language by a simple trick.
WPML enables you to translate, so it does not have that feature. But you can try this easy workaround:
-Go to WPML > String translation
-Search for the string and select it
-At the bottom of the table, you will see a button to change the language of the string: hidden link
-Change the language to one that you won't use on your site
-"Translate" the string to the original language

Hope, that will help.
Hope, you will get to use to WPML and love WPML as millions of users do.

Regards,
Riffaz.

February 25, 2019 at 9:53 am #3238831

feryK

Hi Riffaz,

do you have a link to a example video or could you provide a quick "screen to gif" example (screentogif.com for example)?

I followed the steps but changing the term for Irish and changing it back to English just switches back to the problem, therfore nothing changes really 🙂

Thank you in advance

February 26, 2019 at 7:28 am #3243320

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

I recorded a video for you: hidden link
I am changing the default WordPress tagline in default language (English) in this video.

1. I selected the tagline
2. Changed the language to Armenian
3. Translated to English and marked translation completed.
4. Refreshed the home page and the English page has the translated new English sentence.

Hope, that helps.
Let me know the results, please.

Regards,