This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.58 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 39 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Andrey 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrey.

Author Posts
December 28, 2018 at 7:00 pm #3041074

steffenR-7

Not much more to say than above.

December 28, 2018 at 9:07 pm #3041208

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Can you please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Until you can send that, here are some very helpful steps here that can be taken in order to improve your current site's performance:
https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

Also, here are a few recommendations I found after analyzing your site's current speed that can help you on improving the current performance:

- hidden link
- hidden link
- hidden link

From what I can see, only on the homepage, there are 1.7Mb worth of images and on the internet speed of a phone, that can affect the loading time in a big manner so I suggest to optimize the images that you use across the website.

Here are a few plugins that you can use for that: hidden link

Optimizing the images will speed up your site instantly on mobile. Especially if you bring up the images under a total of 500Kb.

Please let me know how it goes and what you will be willing to accomplish.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

January 1, 2019 at 3:56 pm #3047112

steffenR-7

Hi and thanks for replying.
I have enclosed the debug information. I know the page is slow due to something that I have a hard time figuring out what is. I have tried so many times to decrease image sizes for example. But for this special instance, as I wrote, the english page dosent load at all. It just stops. So I don't think its the size of the few (compared to norwegian site) images in the english version.

January 3, 2019 at 7:56 am #3051474

steffenR-7

Maybe this helps you more than it helps me(?), from Google console: hidden link

January 3, 2019 at 9:04 am #3051637

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and happy new year!

Can you please let me know if you were able to follow the steps in the links that I shared with you above?

Also, can you please let me know to what exact link you are referring to? I am trying this (hidden link) on both desktop and mobile and it loads just fine for me on both devices. Pretty fast, too.

Regarding the last link you shared from the Google Console, I don't have any access to that, only you have through your Google account (I am attaching a screenshot).

Maybe you are referring to another link when you say that it doesn't load at all?

Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Mihai

January 3, 2019 at 9:34 am #3051765

steffenR-7

Hi.
No, I have not tried all the suggestions you put down as I do not, from my point of view, see it as highly probable that other solutions than the one(s) WPML could be the source of is the cause. But I can of course be wrong. I work on speed issues all the time, including image resizing as I already wrote. But this issue is specifically related to the english front page when typing xc-marathon.com, and the following downloading of the site.

January 3, 2019 at 9:45 am #3051785

steffenR-7

Ps, all other suggestions you had I have worked on earlier including caching. Enabling gzip compression I dont know what is or how I do.

January 3, 2019 at 9:59 am #3051850

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Sorry, there might be a misunderstanding.

Aren't we talking about this site: hidden link (because this site is the one that I am seeing under the debug info you attached and this is the site I ran those tests above for)?

I have seen that in your last reply, you mentioned xc-marathon.com but I don't know which is the website that you are referring to?

Please let me know. From what I can see, on xc-marathon.com there is a redirection happening at the moment or something like that as the parameter "?lang=en" doesn't even appear in the link whenever I'm on the English version of any page.

Can you please elaborate a bit more about what website you are referring to?

Kind regards,
Mihai

January 3, 2019 at 10:05 am #3051857

steffenR-7

Hi, yes then there is a misunderstanding.
As I wrote in the headline: "english site loads really slowly on mobile phone" I meant the english version of turrenn.net. The english version has its own logo and "name"; xc-marathon.com. If you press the english flag you get to the adress turrenn.net/?lang=en. However, if you go directly to the domain xc-marathon.com (in the mobile web browser) it is supposed to redirect you to the adress above (/?lang=en). THIS is the download that just doesnt happen...
I am sure I could have explained this better. Sorry for that.

January 3, 2019 at 5:32 pm #3054138

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Ok, so I think that I understand now.

The issue is that when you are on "xc-marathon.com" and click the English flag, it is NOT taking the user to the link (this is happening on desktop, too, not only on mobile, as far as I can see). Please let me know if this is what you are referring to.

From what I can see, these are 2 separate WordPress installs that use the same theme and if you wanted to have one website with 2 separate languages and use a specific domain for each language, you should have followed these steps:
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

So, if that's the case, that should be the steps that should be followed. You really don't need to have 2 separate WordPress installs for using multilanguage on multiple domains.

However, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to both of your sites to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

January 3, 2019 at 5:42 pm #3054164

steffenR-7

Hi, no I think you have misunderstood then. It is when the reader have a blank address field in the browser and types "www.xc-marathon.com"; then the web page ONLY on mobile phone is really slow. It really doesn't download at all.

Also I do not use to different installs; not sure how you figured that out. If that is the case, then this has happened because of instructions from WPML support. If that's the case it would sure like you to check it out, but I think first maybe you could see if you are really sure?

Steffen.

January 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm #3054301

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I tested this link "www.xc-marathon.com" from 2 different browsers on my phone, on mobile data, and the site is loading completely in under 4-5 seconds for me.

Can you try from another phone maybe? Or from another mobile browser?

Also, make sure you delete the browser cache first.

Please let me know if it works for you, too.

Kind regards,
Mihai

January 3, 2019 at 6:30 pm #3054312

steffenR-7

Hi,
Still the same here. Tested on two phones.

Steffen.

January 4, 2019 at 10:30 am #3055969

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I asked some colleagues of mine to test the site on mobile, too.

For most of them, the site was loading completely fine and pretty fast, too.

Only one of them experienced the page not loading fully till the end, exactly as you are specifying, so it seems there is some instability at the moment.

First of all, from what I can see, the theme you are using is not part of our official WPML-compatible themes directory here: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/

However, that doesn't mean the theme is 100% not compatible with WPML. It might be compatible partially or it may be fully-compatible and the issue might be caused by a plugin. We will need to go over some more steps in order to figure out if we are talking about a theme compatibility issue or not.

1. Let's see if the issue is caused by a plugin:

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

2. If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled, let's see then if the theme is the one that's causing the issue:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to visit the site

Also, one of my colleagues is saying that from his tests, he can see that the issue is happening only on iOS devices: hidden link

So we might be encountering an issue where the theme is not working on a specific mobile operating system.

My personal tests were from an Android device, I don't know however on what devices you tested the site from.

Please let me know what you will be able to find.

Kind regards,
Mihai

January 4, 2019 at 10:45 am #3056003

steffenR-7

Hi, and no.
This is around the 5th, 6th or 7th time you ask me to do this error seeking procedure because something is suspected to be wrong with WPML. Error after error appears after I started to use WPML. And I did not read anything about you having a list of themes that ar "official WPML" themes.

Feel free to offer to log in and do this on your own. I will provide you with login information. Your colleagues have done this many times already, often using the duplicator plugin that is already installed.

Steffen.