This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
July 25, 2019 at 2:49 am #4278587

juan-luisV

I have installed WPML in my site. For some reason, after I switched to the new language (english) and I click on any of the translated pages such as (hidden link) I immediately get a Error 500 - Internal Server Error. This messages persists for few minutes and after, when I refresh, the page seems to work fine. After this initial Error 500 - Internal Server Error which lasts a few minutes, not only the page loads fine, but also the entire translated site works perfect, and the error never comes back.

I have increased the memory to 256m and empty the cache, but I still dont know could be causing this issue.

(I tried to activate debugging, but it broke my homepage, so I deactivated it)

July 25, 2019 at 8:39 am #4280881

Dennis
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Manila (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

Could you please share your Debug information with me? You can read the detailed explanation about it here.

http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support

The debug info will give me a lot of information about how your site is configured and will help me understand the source of the problem.

Meanwhile, could you please check if the issue persists if you disable all non-related WPML plugins and switch to one of the default themes like twenty sixteen?

NOTE:
+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before doing this test.

Please let me know of your results.

Kind regards,
Dennis

July 25, 2019 at 1:34 pm #4283677

juan-luisV

Thank you Dennis. I'm including the debug info as requested, please let me know what you see.

July 26, 2019 at 4:55 am #4287363

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Your current site configuration looks find as far as your debug information is concern.

You mentioned that the error never came back again, is this still case? Or can you reproduce the issue on your end? Can check your server logs to see what was the error behind the Error 500 - Internal Server Error?

If the error, is now reproducible, does the issue still persists if you f you disable all non-related WPML plugins and switch to one of the default themes like twenty sixteen?

NOTE:
+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before doing this test.

Please let me know your results.

Kind regards,
Dennis

July 26, 2019 at 5:57 am #4287635

juan-luisV

Hi, the problem still persists. What I meant is that, when you go to the website and you click on one of the translated pages, at first I get the 500 - Internal Server error - message, I get for several times as I refresh the page, and then after a few attempts, the page finally loads. Once it loads, the error doesnt come back again, until the next time the website is visited again.

July 26, 2019 at 10:23 am #4289057

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to request temporary access (/wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. Your next reply will be set to private.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally to continue debugging and escalate if necessary. For this I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Please confirm if this okay with you.

Our Debugging Procedures
I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to BACKUP the site before providing us access.

Privacy and Security Policy
We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Kind regards,
Dennis

July 28, 2019 at 11:51 pm #4296149

juan-luisV

Hi, any updates? I am urgently needing to use the translation plugin I purchased. Thank you.

July 31, 2019 at 1:24 am #4310839

juan-luisV

Hello, its been 3 days, any luck? Thank you.

July 31, 2019 at 6:58 pm #4317307

juan-luisV

Hello, any updates?

July 31, 2019 at 10:36 pm #4317787

Bobby
Supporter

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

i apologize for the delay , i have taken over your ticket and i will be helping you resolve this issue moving forward.

i am analyzing this ticket and once i will update you shortly

July 31, 2019 at 11:04 pm #4317799

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

to further test this issue i will need to migrate your site on our cloudways staging environment if that is ok, this will allow me to test with a minimal environment

before doing so if possible please provide me with your error log

You can see how to enable debug logging here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Go in your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Edit your wp-config.php file and add these lines, just before it says 'stop editing here':

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

This will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please send me its contents.

August 4, 2019 at 3:16 am #4335457
juan-luisV

Hello Bobby, I managed to fix the issue by testing each plugin one by one. However, I have another issue. On the homepage, the Visual Composer is not loading on the front end. This error is only for this page, it works perfect on every other page. Any ideas?

New threads created by Bobby and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-error-500-internal-server-error/

August 5, 2019 at 7:47 pm #4342881

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

i am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved, if you dont mind sharing with me as it could help other users as well, which plugin did you experience the issue with ?

Additionally for the new issue regarding the visual composer as we try to keep each ticket to 1 issue i will be splitting it into a new ticket and we can continue there to resolve it.