Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 83 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
August 3, 2018 at 10:27 am #2608955

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Hello there,

Can you try again?

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 11:23 am #2609210

Andrés
Supporter

Thanks for sharing your credentials, I was able to login. Just at first sight, I notice that you are dragging a performance issue, so maybe your server is not prepared for such installation.

Now, could you please tell me how to reproduce the issue?

August 3, 2018 at 11:49 am #2609354

janeN-2

The performance is that of the staging server... we can't quite replicate the live server which is with Rackspace!

To reproduce the issue, go into Media > Library and try and delete loads of images at once.
It occasionly happens when updating products and posts but not every single time...

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 11:56 am #2609420

Andrés
Supporter

Thanks for your explanations, but as we commented before it is expected to have some issues deleting images for a lot of products as you are removing 4 times the quantity selected. Thus, we recommend you to decrease the number of selected images with the previous consideration.

Could you please indicate me how to reproduce your products issue? Does it happen with a particular product? Do I need to modify something in particular?

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 12:14 pm #2609504

janeN-2

Hi,

I'm afraid it triggers at random, only thing I can think of, last time it happened, we had 2 administrators working on things at the same time, one was uploading images (not deleting) the other was amending products.

Try and fiddle with the products etc. just edit at random, don't worry about the data, this server is soley for this purpose of troubleshooting for WPML.

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 12:37 pm #2609602

Andrés
Supporter

At this moment, if I try to update several products at the same time (4-5), sometimes I get a random 500 error. However, if you refresh the page, it loads the content correctly.
Is this the situation you are experiencing?

If that is the case, it seems like a server side issue. So I would like to make a copy of your site and test it in another server to compare.

I wait for your instructions.

August 3, 2018 at 1:31 pm #2609831

janeN-2

Hi Andrés,

No, error 500 doesn't happen on live...
I can send it to you or we can have a Skype screenshare session to look at live? (I can't provide access of the live site otherwise for legal reasons) - whatever you feel best to do.

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 2:07 pm #2609942

Andrés
Supporter

I totally understand you, but it is not possible for me to offer you a Skype call. However, you can request a video call submitting this form:
https://wpml.org/2016/10/request-support-video-call/

However, I don't think is a good idea, at least it is not at this point. First, we need to understand how to replicate the issue, once we are there, we will have something to work with.

Furthermore, even if you show us the error on your live site, if we can't reproduce it on your staging server, first, it will point to your server, but most important, we won't have tools to provide you a solution.

Could you please try again to reproduce the error on your staging site and let us know the needed steps?

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 2:32 pm #2610094

janeN-2

Hi Andrés,
Please see attached, I tried to delete 2 pictures.

August 3, 2018 at 2:52 pm #2610134

Andrés
Supporter

In that case we can't forget about the error while updating products..

If that is the case, could you please tell me the exact steps you made in order to reproduce this error?

August 3, 2018 at 3:05 pm #2610352

janeN-2

Hi Andrés,

The error is the same, it also occurs when multiple administrators are working on the website together, what they do specifically is random, it's not always the same things that trigger this, the website is simply in a state where it can very easily fall over into a 504 error.

I personally don't think we need to focus on a particular symptom here but rather the bigger picture. We know for a fact the sessions in the database as I sent previously are remaining stale and won't terminate causing the overload which our host confirms is why the 504 error occurs, as a 5xx error is indeed the server itself.
Tes, setting the max session etc. to a higher value stops this problem from occuring as often but it does still remain, we just can't be sweeping dust under the carpet when we can hoover it up if you get my jist.

Regards

August 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm #2610388

Andrés
Supporter

I understand your position, but as I mentioned before, I need any way to reproduce the error. So far I can't, and without those steps I can't be of any help as I can't see the issue.

If the problem is solved increasing your max session, it points again to a server side issue.

For being able to move forward, could you please tell me in a detailed way how to reproduce the error?

Regards

August 6, 2018 at 7:49 am #2614827

janeN-2

Hi Andrés,

As I have already mentioned, the error itself is because the server keels over, I'm trying to get to the root as to why it keels over, all prior testing points this at WPML, with WPML disabled, we have no problems at all, it never keels over.
It is because WPML leaves stale connections open to the database, you continue to ask me for specific steps, the only step that reproduces the error guarenteed is the issue we have in the media library when deleting file, without WPML, WordPress can delete 500 at a time as a breeze, there are no issues with that. I tested 500 images specifically, it is a rediculously high number.

Our team here goes ahead and uploads images (they rarely delete) in the Media > Library section whilst another member of the team amends products and posts, often many at time, lets say for arguments sake 10 tabs per person at once, again, with WPML disabled, not one of our team here in the administration login run into any problems, if anything, they report the dashboard being a lot faster to navigate (despite being in a mess where all different languages of content are in one place without WPML to tidy them up).

When I monitor the database connections on the server with WPML disabled the database connections loaded are fewer and all terminate as expected meaning no connection remains open for too long/longer than needed. I don't understand enough about WPML to understand what exactly its doing in the database that heavily and don't know how to regain control over that which is why I have come to you.

The error message itself of 504 is not what I'm too interested in, my attention is on the connections to the database, that is the root of the problem and that is what I need help with.
Focusing on replicating the issue whilst I appreciate why thats required, it is evedently sending us both round in circles and isn't of much help.
We're approaching the 1 week anniversery of this ticket being open and are still no further forward.

So, how does WPML go about talking to the databases and how can we get it to terminate correctly without staying open stale?

Regards

August 6, 2018 at 8:02 am #2614929

Andrés
Supporter

Hello there,

Thanks for the new information but I hope that you understand that if I can't reproduce the issue there is no way I can investigate it.

This is what I tried again:
- I went to your Dashboard > Media Library.
- Select 4-5 images.
- Delete them.
- After a few seconds, I get a 500 error.
- I refresh the page and I see that it only removes 1 image but the site is still on.

This is something I can replicate and investigate. Should we investigate further as so far there is no way that I can replicate the 504 error on your test site? Did you find one?

Regards

August 6, 2018 at 10:53 am #2615460

janeN-2

Hi Andrés,

Try and delete about 50 images in one hit, you will then see the 504, the 500 is something specific to the staging server, I'm not too sure what that's all about.

If you think we would benefit from trying this on the live site, I can get you in but must do so via a live call as we cannot hand out admin accounts to our liv site which I'm sure you appreciate. We can do Google hangouts to do this if you would want to? - I'm happy to exchange those details privatley.

Regards