Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Client reported 508 resouce limit reached error when trying to edit translations

Solution: Disabling php-fpm at server lever resolved the issue

This topic contains 26 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by rodS-2 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
October 31, 2019 at 8:38 am #4861623

rodS-2

Hi there,

We are getting the following error upon updating posts and pages.

Error is: 508 Resource Limit Is Reached.

This is happening when the WPML plugin is active, can you please assist us on this?

This is critical since we used to do lots of updates in a short timespan.

October 31, 2019 at 9:03 am #4861787

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

I moved this into a ticket now, once you get some more information from the hosting support, feel free to paste it here so that we can find out what is behind the scenes.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

October 31, 2019 at 9:05 am #4861797

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

On a side note, one client got this resolved like this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/508-resource-limit-reached-error-message/#post-3689527

Regards,
Bruno Kos

November 5, 2019 at 1:52 am #4885497

rodS-2

Hi Bruno,

Our Web Hosts have adjusted the settings on the website for the number of processes allowed but the error is still occurring.

Can you please provide your recommendation for the hosting requirements/settings that would be needed to get this working?

We have never had this issue with this plugin before and it's very frustrating. Surely there is a way to resolve this? Please advise ASAP as this is now urgent for our Client.

Thanks, Chelsea.

November 5, 2019 at 5:02 am #4885723

rodS-2

Hi guys,

We still require assistance. Can you please advise??

Thanks.

November 5, 2019 at 2:14 pm #4889871

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

WordPress minimum requirements are here:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

However, have you asked your hosting company about which resource is being limited? What are server logs saying, where is this resource reached - perhaps SQL query, packet size, timeout?

Have you perhaps reached out database size limit?

You could also try this - so when error 508 happens, check if there's anything within debug.log file:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/508-resource-limit-reached-error-message/#post-3688873

Regards,
Bruno Kos

November 6, 2019 at 3:21 am #4894739

rodS-2

Hi Bruno,

I have asked our Devs to review your questions and they will come back to us ASAP. In the meantime, can you please advise what the minimum server requirements are for WPML?

If possible, would we be able to schedule a teleconference between yourself, our Developers and myself? I feel this would be an easier and more efficient way of getting to the bottom of this, rather than going back and forth over this forum with the time difference.

Please let me know regarding my question as well as availability for a teleconference.
Thanks, Chelsea.

November 6, 2019 at 8:53 am #4895899

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

We don't offer any other support apart from forum tickets and chat. However, see this link:
hidden link

This is a clean sandbox installation in which we test various things. WPML does not have any particular requirements apart from:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Your developer can freely access this site and do whatever it takes there, install plug-ins and other things needed in order to see what are requirements. However, it will still not answer which resource is limited on your host while updating the content, and this is the crucial information we need.

But this is something that basically all the hosts should have as a minimum and there is nothing special about it.

So there are couple of things I can suggest right now:
- create a duplicator package (or provide me with WordPress credentials so that I can do it myself and test on my localhost the see if I can reproduce the issue)
- I can reassign this ticket to somebody who is more closer to your time zone (because I can see that I am getting your replies sometime during the night)
- the most eastern supporters we have reside in (GMT+05:30) time zone, while on the western side, we have supporter in Los Angeles, let me know which of these time zones will work better for you

Regards,
Bruno Kos

November 7, 2019 at 1:54 am #4902423

rodS-2

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, if you could reassign us to someone closer to our timezone to start with that would be great. We are (GMT +8:00 Perth, Australia) so if you can hand us over to someone close to this timezone that will help.

I have spoken to our Developers and they have advised that CPU is the resource being used highly when the issue appears. Please see attached screenshot. Please note this increase only occurs when we try to make multiple updates to multiple pages in a short time span.

I have asked our hosting company if they can provide any further detail in relation to your questions.

Based on the above, can you please advise what can be done? Or, do we need to increase our hosting plan and/or move to a dedicated server? And if so, what requirements should the new plan and/or server have to accommodate such usage?

Thanks for your help.
Chelsea.

November 7, 2019 at 1:59 am #4902455

rodS-2

Hi Bruno,

Further to my comment above, can you please advise if moving to a dedicated server would resolve this issue? We are hesitant to suggest this to the Client in case the issue still presents itself. Look fwd to your feedback on both comments.

Thanks, Chelsea.

November 7, 2019 at 9:26 am #4904025

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I'm not sure I can get to any conclusion from these graphs only - there must be an error message which happens when you hit 508. You can do it like this:
- force the issue happen
- ask the hosting support to check the latest error logs

As for moving to dedicated server, I'm not in position to suggest this because there is no enough information at this point on where the culprit is, especially since brings more cost for the client.

The bigger the site it is, the more resources it will need which is expected. In any case, I am sending this note to the person who is in 5.30 time zone, hopefully he will be able to reply to quicker than me.

Also, would you be willing to provide us with temporary WordPress admin username so we could investigate the issue directly?

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

I marked your next reply as private so that you can safely add credentials.

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

November 11, 2019 at 4:03 am #4921939

rodS-2

Hi guys,

Hoping I have now been transferred to someone in a timezone closer to my own so that we can get this issue resolved?

I have asked Client for approval to pass on backend login details to this website. In the meantime, could you please advise what level of access you will require?

We will arrange access for you, so that you can investigate the issue.

Please note that I have tested the issue this morning as we thought the issue may be related to CPU but as you can see from the attached image, the CPU limit is not even close to being reached when the issue occurs, so we think it's something else.

Thanks, Chelsea.

November 11, 2019 at 6:40 am #4922127

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Chelsea,

I am Raja from WPML support, I will continue helping you here. Since you have requested a supported near your timezone.

As my friend Bruno mentioned 508 error is a resource mismanagement error. It can be due to a bad script execution that takes up a lot of resources or any user (attacker) is trying to access your site using attache methods like DDoS.

- It would be good if you can provide me with the WordPress debug.log (not WPML debug information).

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

If you can paste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess in the discussion).

Once you have enabled the debug option reproduce the steps to encounter the error so that the details of the errors will be saved in the debug log. Also please share with me the server error log, which you can obtain with the help of your hosting provider.

Kind regards
Raja

November 11, 2019 at 7:49 am #4922235

rodS-2

Hi Raja,

Thanks for the prompt feedback! I will ask our Devs to action the above and will send you the debug.log ASAP.

In the meantime, could you please advise what level of CMS access you may require (e.g. full) should it come to this? I will ask Devs to arrange and we will back up site so you can access if need be.

Thanks, Chelsea.

November 11, 2019 at 8:58 am #4922713

rodS-2

Hi Raja,

Further to the above comment, please find link to Paste Bin for the debug.log:
https://pastebin.com/cgCaefqu

Could you please ensure that the link above is private.

Also please advise regarding what level of CMS access you may require (e.g. full) should it come to this? I will ask Devs to arrange and we will back up site so you can access if need be.

Look forward to your feedback.
Thanks, Chelsea.