This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
August 9, 2019 at 1:54 pm #4370999

Raul Pina

I am trying to: translate a page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Bluemater.com

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:
The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions

August 9, 2019 at 6:15 pm #4372393

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

I would need to see the detail of the error. You can see how to enable debug logging here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Go in your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Edit your wp-config.php file and add these lines, just before it says 'stop editing here':

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

This will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please send me its contents.

August 10, 2019 at 8:24 am #4374921

Raul Pina

Hi!
I get this erro message:
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strpos() in /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory-records.php:61 Stack trace: #0 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory-records.php(29): WPML_ST_Translation_Memory_Records->also_match_alternative_line_breaks(Array) #1 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory.php(58): WPML_ST_Translation_Memory_Records->get(Array) #2 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): WPML_ST_Translation_Memory->get_translation_memory(Array, Array) #3 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(208): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Array, Array) #4 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/xliff/class-wpml-tm-xliff-writer.php(205): apply_filters('wpml_st_get_tra...', in /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory-records.php on line 61
The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.

The error log says:

text/plain error_log.txt ( ASCII text, with very long lines )

[10-Aug-2019 08:21:42 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strpos() in /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory-records.php:61
Stack trace:
#0 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory-records.php(29): WPML_ST_Translation_Memory_Records->also_match_alternative_line_breaks(Array)
#1 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory.php(58): WPML_ST_Translation_Memory_Records->get(Array)
#2 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): WPML_ST_Translation_Memory->get_translation_memory(Array, Array)
#3 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(208): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Array, Array)
#4 /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-translation-management/classes/xliff/class-wpml-tm-xliff-writer.php(205): apply_filters('wpml_st_get_tra...', in /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/translation-memory/class-wpml-st-translation-memory-records.php on line 61

August 12, 2019 at 7:01 pm #4383333

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for providing me with the error log

Please check our minimum requirements page here.
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

I suspect that the PHP extension Multibyte String(mbstring) is not installed on your server.
hidden link

It is a requirement if you want to work with String Translation and also might be what is causing this problem.

Please make sure that this PHP extension

mbstring

is installed on your server

Your host provider should be able to activate it from their side as well

August 13, 2019 at 12:14 pm #4387867

Raul Pina

Hi.

Just installed the PHP extensions that you asked.

It shows this message in some pages:
otice: elementor_pro/query_control/get_query_args/current_query is deprecated since version 2.5.0! Use elementor/query/get_query_args/current_query instead. in /home/bluemate/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4711

Thanks for the support.

August 13, 2019 at 9:12 pm #4390813

Bobby
Supporter

The original fatal error should be resolved now , correct ?

the notices you are seeing are coming from Elementor pro and are safe to remove if you wish , as it looks like its just a notice about a deprecated version.

if you wish you can remove them by

Going in your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

otherwise i would advise to reach out to Elementor's support as this is coming from their code, but it should be safe to hide the notice

August 13, 2019 at 10:34 pm #4391033

Raul Pina

Hi.

The translated pages are empty

Can you check the pages in Portuguese: company, clients, contacts etc?

Thanks

August 13, 2019 at 11:22 pm #4391083

Bobby
Supporter

If possible i would like to take a closer look at the backend

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

August 14, 2019 at 1:54 am #4391295

Bobby
Supporter

I did a test translation for the following page and it worked as expected

hidden link

if possible please try translating the rest and let me know your results

August 14, 2019 at 8:45 am #4393399

Raul Pina

Hello!
The page that a I translated (contacts in spanish) today worked fine. But the same page in portuguese that was translated at the beginning even If i delete the translated page, doesn't appear (hidden link).

Can you check?

thanks

August 14, 2019 at 9:50 pm #4397761

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

it seems that when you did the first translation the elementor style was not carried over, sometimes this can happen when a translation is corrupted but its not common

i believe if you were to delete the PT translation , empty the trash and then re add it it will work as expected now

for example if you go to Pages->Edit the PT translation of contactos with elementor you will notice that the layout did not copy over to the translation

August 15, 2019 at 10:34 pm #4403767

Raul Pina

Hello!

I understand what you said.

I deleted the pt translation, empty trash but when I go to the translation again it show the language fields already translated in Portuguese and when I save it shows an empty page?

Could you try it?

August 16, 2019 at 5:02 pm #4407679

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

I have run some troubleshooting actions of WPML to clear its cache and any ghost entries

when i visit the contactos page it looks a bit different now but i can see it in all the languages

The topic ‘[Closed] Error message’ is closed to new replies.