This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
September 14, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Mario Castro Sammartino

Hi. When working on the backend, every now and then it appears an error message "The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email for instructions".
If I refresh the browser, it vanishes but after a while it pops up again.
When I see the debug log, it seems that the problem has something to do with the WPML plugin.

September 14, 2019 at 1:53 pm
September 15, 2019 at 5:04 pm #4575099

Mario Castro Sammartino

I did what you suggested (copy again the wpm folders via ftp) but the problem still persists. When working on the backend, the error message (the site is experiencing technical problems) appear frequently

September 16, 2019 at 7:52 am #4576993

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

we have other clients affected so the ticket has been escalated with priority. I'll let you have news as soon as possible.

September 17, 2019 at 10:56 pm #4591221

Mario Castro Sammartino

Thank you. I look forward to your news.

September 18, 2019 at 8:19 am #4593657

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

we have a workaround that is working, but it requires a fix on the database.

I can do it for you, but you must have a backup before I proceed. I will also need to install a plugin to access your database.

September 22, 2019 at 2:32 pm #4618743

Mario Castro Sammartino

Thank you for the answer. But, what is the catch with fixing the database?. Will it have any other problem with the theme or others plugins?. If one decides not to fix the database, will WPML correct the issue in a future update and if so how long will it take?

September 23, 2019 at 11:33 am #4623117

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

the issue will be solved for sure in a next version (possibily 4.2.9 if we release it or 4.3.0) because it's affecting many clients.

Touching the database could affect other data, but it's difficult to tell what could happen.

However, we have a different workaround now that doesn't involve database fixing, so you can try this:
- open your theme's functions.php file
- add this snippet and save

add_action('wp', function (){
   $wpml_settings = get_option('icl_sitepress_settings');

if (!empty($wpml_settings['show_untranslated_blog_posts'])) {
       unset($wpml_settings['show_untranslated_blog_posts']);
       update_option('icl_sitepress_settings', $wpml_settings);
   }
});

- refresh the front end
- delete the snippet

This should solve the issue.

Please do not forget to remove the snippet as it could cause future issues if it's run multiple time.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.