Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by chia-yiL 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
September 2, 2020 at 6:57 pm #6928731

chia-yiL

Trying to run the TM set up with 4.4 and when clicking Continue or Switch to Classic Editor, the error "TypeError: Failed to fetch" pops up.

September 3, 2020 at 1:46 pm #6935563

chia-yiL

I've spoken to Siteground and got this response:

----

Hello,

I am contacting you regarding the staging1.padualaw.com .

I have checked and the Rest API is not blocked on the server level. Please note that security plug-ins such as wordfence and some themes block the rest API within WordPress itself.

Please check if you have any security plugin enabled and check the settings in order to re-enable rest API.

Best Regards,

----

September 3, 2020 at 2:48 pm #6936213

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for the reply. Could you please provide me with your WPML Debug Info ( https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/), so that I can see details of your site such as installed security plugins?

Please also make a backup and try to deactivate ALL other plugins expect WPML and switch to a standard Theme, as any other 3rd party component could block the REST-API as-well.

Please let me know.

Best Regards
Marcel

September 3, 2020 at 4:35 pm #6937009

chia-yiL

The last tech (Lauren) that was working on this deactivated all plugins and even reverted back to a classic theme (I'm originally using Divi).

September 4, 2020 at 8:21 am #6940915

Marcel
Supporter

Hi

the issue is solved. The problem was a wrong SSL configuration on your installation. The REST-API tried to access over an insecure connection which caused a mixed content message.

Mixed Content: The page at '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure resource '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

Please make the following steps to solve the issue on your live site:

#1 (re-Activate) your installed Real Simple SSL plugin
#2 On the Backend will be a notice where you get asked to activate SSL. Please click on "Go ahead, activate SSL!". (Screenshot: hidden link)
#3 Once you See "SSL activated!", open Translation Management and follow the setup.

Best Regards
Marcel

September 4, 2020 at 5:50 pm #6945439

chia-yiL

Thank you.

I've reactivated the Divi Theme. When the WPML plugin is active, the site endlessly refreshes.
hidden link

September 7, 2020 at 7:34 am #6954807

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

could you please provide me details or an example? I re-checked your site and WPML is already with DIVI active and everything seems to work as expected. I was not able to detect any refresh.

Thank You

Best Regards
Marcel

September 8, 2020 at 2:58 pm #6967235

chia-yiL

so when you visit this page, it doesn't refresh over and over again?
hidden link

September 8, 2020 at 3:03 pm #6967241

Marcel
Supporter

Hi, no I don't get any redirect. Does it work in another browser for you? Or try first to clear your Browser Cache.

Best Regards
Marcel

September 8, 2020 at 5:55 pm #6968875

chia-yiL

Hi Marcel,
I've cleared the cache on the site and Chrome but still getting the issue. Same when I use other browsers. If I deactivate WPML plugins the issue goes away.

Here is a screen recording of the issue: hidden link

September 8, 2020 at 6:21 pm #6969047

chia-yiL

also, when I try to view a translated page, it redirects to the homepage. hidden link

September 8, 2020 at 6:22 pm #6969049

chia-yiL

Sorry, I mean the translated page redirects to the main English version.

September 9, 2020 at 7:43 am #6972451

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

the issue mentioned in the screencast doesn't happen for me. On the start page itself, I was not able to reproduce a redirect: hidden link

But I can see that you have the WPML Browser Language redirect on "WPML -> Languages -> Browser language redirect" active => Always redirect visitors based on browser language (redirect to home page if translations are missing).

That has nothing to do with your earlier mentioned issue, but it is the cause why you got redirected on hidden link.

Doc: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

Best Regards
Marcel

September 9, 2020 at 3:59 pm #6977979

chia-yiL

Thanks. That actually fixed both issues.

September 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm #6977983

chia-yiL

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!