This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.
Problem:INstalling and activating plugin results into a fatal error
Solution:Deactivated and delete the WPML plugins then installed them again manually using FTP
to do a manual update please follow these steps:
1. Backup your database – see for example: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/
2. Deactivate the existing WPML plugin and add-ons.
3. Delete the plugin files – this does not delete your translations. You will simply delete the plugin files from you "wp-content/plugins" folder NOT the database records.
4. Download the updated plugins from our servers and upload them to the plugin directory.
5. Activate the WPML plugin and add-ons.
This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.
Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.