Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
how to change the a string in default language?

Solution:
Please note, WPML was not created to change texts/words. It was meant to translate the words. So what you are trying is simply not a feature of WPML.

Anyhow, we can try following steps to change the strings in original or primary language. This may work depend on how the plugins/theme (which has the string that you want to translate) is built.

1. Go to WPML->Languages-> Add new language -> Add a random language
2. Then scroll down and hide this language.
3. Now go back to WPML->String Translation->Select your string -> Change language of string to the newly added hidden language.
4. Now you will have an option to “translate” it on the original language of the theme.

Yet, this is NOT a good solution, this should work by default. If not, there should be some incorrect or not standard code in the theme or plugins and WPML will not check this as it is NOT a WPML feature.

100% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by beverlyS-2 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Riffaz.

Author Posts
July 17, 2019 at 11:36 am #4229479

beverlyS-2

Tell us what you are trying to do? I am using The Event Calendar Pro. I want to change the title "Venue" to be "Location" for my English side of the website and from "Lieu" in French to "les emplacement". I know how to do this for the French but I don't know how to access the English string and if I can.

Is there any documentation that you are following? I can't seem to find what I need to do this.

Is there a similar example that we can see? Not that I can think of...

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 7.33.40 AM.png
July 17, 2019 at 2:31 pm #4231269

Riffaz

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Please note, WPML was not created to change texts/words. It was meant to translate the words. So what you are trying is simply not a feature of WPML.

Anyhow, we can try following steps to change the strings in original or primary language. This may work depend on how the plugins/theme (which has the string "Venue") is built.

1. Go to WPML->Languages-> Add new language -> Add a random language
2. Then scroll down and hide this language.
3. Now go back to WPML->String Translation->Select your string -> Change language of string to the newly added hidden language.
4. Now you will have an option to “translate” it on the original language of the theme.

Yet, this is NOT a good solution, this should work by default. If not, there should be some incorrect or not standard code in the theme or plugins and WPML will not check this as it is NOT a WPML feature.

Regards,
Riffaz.

July 17, 2019 at 2:57 pm #4231471

beverlyS-2

Ok. Thank you. Good to know it's not the right tool for the job and I won't risk it. We can close this thread.

July 17, 2019 at 2:58 pm #4231479

beverlyS-2

Thank you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.