Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am having trouble with translating some widgets, for example in the footer area.

Solution: Go to Dashboard → WPML → String Translation again, search for DONATE TO SUPPORT THE SCHOOL text, add the translation, check the Translation is complete box, and save the changes.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by samvelA 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
August 28, 2019 at 2:15 am #4470411

samvelA

Tell us what you are trying to do? I would like to translate all the content of the Eventon into Armenian, but it does not let me to. I did the L1 L2 backend costomization but it does not appear on frontend. I am also having trouble with translating some widgets, for example in the footer area.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

August 28, 2019 at 6:15 am #4471317

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Samvel,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

Is there any chance that you could give me access to the dashboard area so I can have a look at the changes that you made so far, please? As I understand, the JUMP MONTHS and NO EVENTS texts need to be translated, apart from the footer widgets, am I right?

The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

August 30, 2019 at 12:51 pm #4487285

Radu
Supporter

Hey Samvel,

I had a look at the widgets from the footer area and I could see that there were some custom ones. I made a little change and now you can go to Dashboard → WPML → String translation to add the translation.

Regarding Eventon, this doesn't seem to be a part of our WPML compatible plugins list (https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/). Since I'm not familiar with this plugin either, I'll need you to be a bit more specific about the elements that you'd like to translate on this plugin (maybe attach some screenshots with these elements too). This way, I can see if there's a way to create the translations.

Thanks,
Radu

September 2, 2019 at 5:18 pm #4499383

samvelA

Thank you for your help, Radu. We still need your help with fixing another widget title in the footer area - hidden link Is there any way to have this issue solved forever, I mean not having to ask for support, just adjusting the code in such a way that all future possible changes become translatable on our end?

As for the Eventon plugin, we need to show on front end months and other strings translated as well, not only the event title. On the backend it has been translated, but it does not appear on the front end.

Thank you!

September 3, 2019 at 1:00 pm #4504563

Radu
Supporter

Hey Samvel,

I didn't do any change in order to be able to translate the widget title. So you can go to Dashboard → WPML → String Translation again, search for DONATE TO SUPPORT THE SCHOOL text, add the translation, check the Translation is complete box, and save the changes.

You'll find here (on String Translation) a lot of strings from your website. This is the first place that you should think of when you want to translate any text (and don't know how to do that already).

Regarding Eventon, could you attach some screenshots with the elements that you'd like to translate so I can make sure that I'm looking at the right parts, please?

Thanks,
Radu

September 3, 2019 at 1:43 pm #4504895

samvelA

Hi Radu, please see attached screenshot. Thanks!

September 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm #4506495

samvelA

Hi Radu, it looks like the problem has been solved (mysteriously) on pages. But is still remains unsolved in the footer widget. Just to update you. Thanks.

September 4, 2019 at 10:13 am #4509931

Radu
Supporter

Hey Samvel,

I just checked your website and it seems that you managed to translate the footer widget too. Well done!

Since everything is done here, I'll mark this ticket as resolved. If you need help with any other issue or question, feel free to open a new ticket and we'll take care of it in no time.

Thanks,
Radu

September 4, 2019 at 1:55 pm #4511565

samvelA

Hi Radu, the issue has not been solved yet. Please see attached screenshots. Thanks!

September 4, 2019 at 5:00 pm #4513051

samvelA

Hi Radu, I would also like to translate the call to action button in the main navigation bar area. It say "donate" in both languages. Furthermore, it points on the English version of the donation form on either English or Armenian versions of the site. Thanks.

September 5, 2019 at 6:12 am #4515621

Radu
Supporter

Hey Samvel,

Let's take care of the widget first. I looked into the EventON documentation and I could see how the widget from the footer area is created. As I can see, you're using a shortcode to display that element.

Now, can you go to the widgets area (hidden link), edit the existing widget for events, select English for the Display on language field, please? Also, change the shortcode too and the L1 part to it, to make it get the content for English.

Once you did this, add one more widget but this time select the Armenian language for the Display on language field and add the L2 parameter. Basically, you need to do the same changes that you made for the shortcodes inside the page.

Please try to do this and tell me how things work this time.

Thanks,
Radu

September 5, 2019 at 12:21 pm #4519273

samvelA

Hi Radu, thank you very much, the widget issue has been solved.

Now two other issues remain, unrelated to the widget issue.

First, I would also like to translate the call to action button in the main navigation bar area. It says "donate" in both languages. Furthermore, it points on the English version of the donation form on either English or Armenian versions of the site. I would like it to be pointing on the appropriate language version of the page, i.e. English for English, and Armenian for Armenian.

Second, I was trying to translate the footer under widgets text "© 2019 Ս. Սահակ եւ Ս. Մեսրոպ Ազգային Շաբաթօրեայ Վարժարան. The website is offered by the Armenian Diocese of Canada. Designed by Fibonacci Studio. All Rights Reserved." However, it doe snot allow me to do it. Could you please help me with above two issues.

Thank you for your help!

September 6, 2019 at 12:56 am #4522235

samvelA

BTW, here is the new link of the website - hidden link, it has been migrated.

September 8, 2019 at 11:15 pm #4532627

Radu
Supporter

Hey Samvel,

Can you check the footer text and call-to-action button now, please? They should be translated now. You can easily change them at any time from Dashboard → WPML → String translation. Basically, a little XML configuration needed to be added to Dashboard → WPML → Settings → Custom XML Configuration so that WPML can know that these strings are coming from the child theme. The strings that you already translated were for the parent theme. That's all 🙂

Thanks,
Radu

September 9, 2019 at 1:18 pm #4537479

samvelA

Hi Radu, thank you very much! This is helpful.

The last thing that we have is the call to action button url. On both language versions it sends you to the English version of the link.Is there any way to make it pointing on English when the site works in English and to Armenian when it works in Armenian?

Thanks!