Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Client trying to show an overview of events belonging to certain event category but instead got an empty page except navigation, page title & footer are shown.

Solution: removing the code in the file \plugins\events-manager-wpml\em-wpml-taxonomies.php:L23 Problem is caused by the setting Events > Settings > Pages > Events List/Archives > Include in WordPress Searches being set to ‘No’, setting that to ‘Yes’ should show categories with no events. Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/es/forums/topic/problema-para-mostrar-categorias-de-events-manager-cuando-wpml-esta-activo/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jurgen 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 20, 2016 at 2:33 pm #1090170

Jurgen

I am trying to: show an overview of events belonging to certain event category

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: events of that category

Instead, I got: an empty page (however navigation, page title & footer are shown).

Steps to duplicate the issue:

I created 2 event categories & 2 upcoming events.
All goes fine in the event list, event details, locations etc. but when I click on the category link, the title appears but the rest of page is empty. No error (neither in the browser console or via WP debug), nothing is generated for the contents.

When there are no events in that category, the requested "no events yet" message is shown as expected.
When disabling WPML, it works as well…

The environment has (all up to date):
– WP 4.6.1
– EM 5.6.6.1
– EM Pro 2.4.4.2
– EM WPML 1.0.1
– WPML 3.5.1.1 (all other WPML plugins are up to date as well)
– Theme: child theme of Unicon (ThemeForest)

URL:
– (OK) event list: hidden link
– (OK) event detail: hidden link
– (NOK) event category overview: hidden link (English is hidden)
– (OK) event category overview without events: hidden link

Please advise how to solve this, thanks in advance!

September 21, 2016 at 10:02 am #1092221

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hello.

This may be related to how the archive template is written (e.g. "suppress_filters" argument) or to some missing configuration.

1. Diagnostic step:
1.1 Can you please see if this same problem happens if you temporarily change your activet theme to Twenty Fourteen?

1.2 What if you temporarily deactivate all non-Event Manage and non-WPML related plugins...any change?

Please advise of the results form these actions.

2. Temporary access to your system
Could you please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem? The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thanks.

September 22, 2016 at 11:21 am #1094619

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hello.

I connected to your system and could see the problem. I also did an internal research and found that this compatibility problem was signalled in this ticket:
https://wpml.org/es/forums/topic/problema-para-mostrar-categorias-de-events-manager-cuando-wpml-esta-activo/

I can see that currently, there is a work ticket open with the author of this plugin to correct this issue (and others). Unfortunately, I do not yet see any resolution available.

There is a note that suggests removing the code in the file \plugins\events-manager-wpml\em-wpml-taxonomies.php:L23 might fix the issue but it really needs further debugging to be sure. I include it here in case you might want to tackle this yourself:

if( EM_Events::count(array('category'=>$EM_Category->term_id)) == 0 ){
            self::preset_query( $EM_Category->output(get_option('dbem_category_page_title_format')) );
        }

It is not in our normal policy to adjust the code of other plugins but if you want to try this, you might get a "workaround". I would, perhaps, check with the support of this plugin to see what they suggest.

For the moment, I have added your support thread as another instance of this problem and in this way, I will be notified of any related progress.

The normal next step would be to assign this ticket a status of "Escalated to Compatibility". Before I do this, do you have any questions?

September 25, 2016 at 1:28 pm #1099035

Jurgen

Hi Yvette,

Thank you very much for all information. I commented out the if statement (so the code is executed any way, no matter that condition) and now that page goes fine!

//        if( EM_Events::count(array('category'=>$EM_Category->term_id)) == 0 ){
            self::preset_query( $EM_Category->output(get_option('dbem_category_page_title_format')) );
//        }

I have no idea what this is / was needed for but it looks ok now 🙂

That's 1 issue less, but still
- the overview page is not working in English (duplicated by WPML & 1 event has been translated yet):
--- (NL - OK) hidden link
--- (EN - NOK) hidden link
- the category overview page is not working in English either:
--- (NL - OK) hidden link
--- (EN - NOK) hidden link

May be you can find the reason for that too (may be similar)?

This is the ticket at the plugin support: hidden link but as you need to be connected (with your purchase key), this is a download link (printed the page to PDF): hidden link

Thanks a lot!!

September 27, 2016 at 5:54 am #1101674

Jurgen

The plugin developers gave me some feedback:
"There is a known issue with categories and WPML where non-empty categories don’t show up, and we’re exploring the options as it seems to be a limitation to do with WP, possibly a bug in WP itself. This in fact can be duplicated without WPML at active.
The problem is caused by the setting Events > Settings > Pages > Events List/Archives > Include in WordPress Searches being set to ‘No’, setting that to ‘Yes’ should show categories with no events."

Strange enough, that solves the issue without having to modify their plugins!

The other pages are working fine too now, that was a permalink configuration fighting with a page slug.