This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
July 21, 2019 at 9:54 am #4251959

julienE-2

- translated pages partial loss of formatting
- page translations not recognized as such
- can't set language of some pages
- Translator's work is lost
- duplicate pages created
- Can's set "This page is a translation of" on some pages

This has become pure hell.

Is there any help possible?

July 21, 2019 at 2:03 pm #4252355

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused to you.

Could you please be more specific about the issues that you have on your site?
Please tell me where I can see those issues on your site.
Sometimes screen-shots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.
Can you tell me when those problems started?
Have they started after a certain action that you did or maybe after an update that you did?

If you agree, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue.
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private, which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling a private message for the next reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

Thanks,
Itamar.

July 22, 2019 at 8:58 am #4255067

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Julian.

If you have used the reset option in WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting (link), then what happened is expected.
Have you used this option?

For your information when using the reset option all WPML's DB tables are being deleted, so any translation information is lost. There is a checkbox to check to confirm that you are about to reset all the language information. Please see the attached screenshot.

In such a case, I would recommend installing a backup of the site before the reset. Or maybe import to the DB a backup of it before the reset.

You wrote: "Before that the translation jobs were having trouble. I could not delete them or edit them."
I think that it is better to restore a back up of the site before the reset and then handle the Translation Jobs issue.

I'll wait for your reply.
Itamar.

July 22, 2019 at 9:18 am #4255255

julienE-2

My latest backup dates 15 July and if I restore it I suspect I will loose a lot of the translations that have been done since.

July 22, 2019 at 9:19 am #4255263

julienE-2

I would rather keep the translations and reset wpml to a clean and functional state. After, I can copy/paste the strings.

July 22, 2019 at 9:41 am #4255535

Itamar
Supporter

OK, I understand.

So here is the list of problems that you specified and below each one my question or comments.

1. translated pages partial loss of formatting
Where can I see that?

2. page translations not recognized as such
This is expected due to the reset. I'm sorry, but I can't help here if you want to continue form this point after the reset.

3. can't set language of some pages
Where can I see this problem?

4. Translator's work is lost
This is expected due to the reset. If the page was not marked as complete the translations where lost when you reset WPML. I'm sorry, but I can't help here either. You would need to translate the pages again.

5. duplicate pages created
This expected due to the reset if you have had some of the pages as duplicates of the original. In this case, after the reset, all the pages lost their language association and became the pages in the default language. What you can do is to delete those duplicates and duplicate the same pages again to the other languages.

6. Can's set "This page is a translation of" on some pages
This is also expected after the reset because you have no translation in the other languages of the site, so there is nothing to link with. All the page after the reset are in the default language so as far as WPML understands it, they are a translation of none. I hope that you can understand this.

July 22, 2019 at 12:17 pm #4257037

julienE-2

Itamar, thanks for the answers and for your diligence.

1. I have since resolved by going into Elementor and re-saving.

2. Ok understood

3. I resolved this by cloning the page and setting language, and deleting the original. Then created the language correspondance. FYI there were at least 2 pages for which here was no pulldown menu with language selection.

4. Understood

5. Understood

6. Understood

**Further problems**

7. Dynamic content not showing. This happens in multiple places
It seems I cannot resolve this. Again, I am using Elementor. see screenshot 7

8. For those pages that were marked as complete:
As I understand it there is no way of creating corresponding string? Some sort of scan? The data is there.

9. Please advise what to do with screenshot 9. I already deleted about 20 of them.

10. Although I have some pages marked as not to be translated, they appear in the Translation management Dashboard. Please advise. See screenshot 10.

11. The initial problem came from the "Translation basket". When I would add jobs to it the basket would disappear after refresh. Also, in the translation jobs, a lot of old jobs on pages that were not to be translated were just hovering there and could not be deleted probably because I made those pages drafts. Either way it was all very static and the jobs could hardly be changed, reassigned etc. It was confusing. I assumed something was wrong with my setup. Looked at the forums. Found that resetting could help. And instead of just resetting just the jobs, I reset the whole thing. This is after hours of confusion, my head buzzing, and that's how these things happen. Anyway, this point 11 is a question: where can I get a clear account of expected behavior of this damn basket? Is it normal that its tab would disappear?

12. These issues actually do not cover all the problems. I would kindly ask you the steps to start from scratch and have a clean wpml install. I will save my translations somehow and create new clean pages on a new clean wpml install, unless you strongly advise otherwise. I "only" have 15 pages and 4 languages. Might as well start clean before having more. I am currently sitting at an in-between state where I have page correspondances without string correspondances. Please advise.

Although you guys do an outstanding job on many different levels, I would kindly advise to always keep in mind the concept of CRUD. Create Read Update Delete. In most instances of most things for most users, those actions should be possible. I found the "Translation jobs" to fall short on that aspect, and to be overall confusing.

Thanks,

Julien

July 22, 2019 at 3:34 pm #4259599

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Julien.

It is important for me to stress the following. In our forum, we try to keep one issue per ticket. Continuing with one ticket per issue helps not only supporters to focus on one issue at once, but also enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster. Nevertheless, on this ticket, I'll continue to help you with the issues that were caused by the reset and that you have questions on them. Let's go through each point and find out what is the issue there.

7. Was this issue caused by the reset or was it there before the reset?
Please confirm that you are following our instruction on how to work with WPML and Elementor.
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/

8. I'm not sure that I understand what do you by "creating corresponding string".
Can you please elaborate on this point?

9. Translation Priorities (translation_priority) is a taxonomy that is created by WPML. It has three terms: Not needed, Optional, Required. You need to translate them only if you need them translated on the backend. I'm not sure what is the section that you show on the 9.png screenshot. I have no such section on my test site. The Translation Priorities can be translated from WPML -> Taxonomy Translation.
Can you please tell me how did you get there?

10. Turning off the 'Use WPML's Translation Editor' option on an editing page does not make the page as 'Not translatable'. And it will still show in the Translation Management dashboard. Please read our following documentation on this option to turn off WPML's Translation Editor.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

11. You can get clear information about the Translation Basket and the Translation Management add-on here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/
Yes, it is normal that the tab would disappear. It will not show if there are no Translation Jobs in the basket. It is only showing when you send jobs for translation. It is an intermediate station' for the jobs before they are being sent to the Translation Jobs tab.

12. My recommendation to you would be to start from scratch by following our documentation. And also by asking here in our support forum any doubt that you might have about using WPML. I say it due to what you mention that your site is not that big and that you can start again. And also due to the problems that you indicate that you are experiencing. Problems which might have been caused by not using WPML correctly.

About your last remark. I'm not sure that I'm getting it correctly, but it is important to me to mention that WPML is a translation plugin. I'm not sure that enabling all the CRUD option for translators would be the right thing to do.

I hope that the above information helps you.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

July 22, 2019 at 4:56 pm #4260153

julienE-2

Thanks.

7. I have only recently discovered this problem so I do not know. I assume its searching for the translation of these posts, which we do not yet have yet. So I am confused how to have the English posts show.
I checked the Elementor video and indeed, this is what I was doing. I looked at the rest of the page too and I did not see any mention of including dynamic content such as a post grid, so I do not know if I am doing it right.

8. I mean I have now partially resolved the reset by setting "Acasa" to be the Romanian translation of "Home". But although it is already fully translated, I can't seem to set, even manually, correspondances between the text sections. I suspect that is not possible. I was just double checking.

9. please see screenshot 9bis
The url is: wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=translation_priority
I have Custom Post Type UI installed and maybe that is giving me this option, although I don't see this option for other custom taxonomy.

10. I do not wish to translate pages separately, or have different designs for different languages. I would like to set my old-xxx pages to be out of the translation management altogether, I am keeping them only for future reference. Is there a way to do this? I thought setting them as drafts would do it but apparently not. I understand why, since it might be convenient to translate draft pages. Anyways, how do I remove them from the dashboard and translation process altogether?

11. Understood

12. Ok will reset again and start over.

About the CRUD: an admin adds translation to basket. then it goes to jobs. A little confusing but ok. Once it is in jobs: I had a lot of jobs that I were just there, and that I could neither edit nor delete. It said "already translated" a little like in screenshot 12bis. They were not. Had never been translated. This, I think, was the result of me changing the status of the pages from Published to Draft. They were hovering there and I couldnt cancel, delete, or edit them.
Hence my suggestion to consider the CRUD principle. To stay organized.

Thanks again for your followup.

July 23, 2019 at 8:22 am #4263781

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Julien.

So according to section 12, I understand that you are starting from scratch. If possible for you then start with a new WordPress installation. If it is not possible for you then go over through your site and before resetting delete any translation that you have. This includes posts, pages, taxonomies, and images. Please see Q&A post regarding resetting WPML.
https://wpml.org/faq/how-wpml-reset-works/

Please contact me here for any doubt that you might have.

Regards,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Everything is broken. Everything’ is closed to new replies.