Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 21, 2019 at 2:08 pm #4795129

sebastianK-50

Hello WPML support,

we are trying to export many of our pages and post for translation.
We already tried to use the xliff export but saw that the necessary strings weren't also getting exported.

We also tried the po export, but it seems like it is only possible to export strings and not entire pages.

We already tried the All-Export Plugin, but with this plugin the page content is always missing.

Are we doing something wrong with the methods we already tried?
Could you recommend us a way to easily export entire pages and post for translation without something missing.

October 22, 2019 at 7:41 am #4799597

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Without using the Translation Management services and/or the system itself to host translators, the usual way is to use XLIFF interface.

You wrote: "We already tried to use the xliff export but saw that the necessary strings weren't also getting exported."

Which strings were not being exported? Post-content strings? Theme configurations?

Thanks for providing an example.

October 22, 2019 at 8:04 am #4799993

sebastianK-50

Hi Yvette,

thanks for your reply.

There were no post-content strings in the exported file. Only configuration or shortcode strings which we don't need to translate this way.

We can't see any export setting to select string types to be exporte.

Is there a special workaround for this?

Regards
Sebastian

October 22, 2019 at 8:56 am #4800533

Yvette
Supporter

If you are building the page with a pagebuilder, then I do believe you are right that the exported post-content might be wrapped in shortcodes as the post-content includes them.

Currently, you are also correct that the String Translation content is not available to the XLIFF interface.

But I´m a bit confused by your statement: "...There were no post-content strings in the exported file. Only configuration or shortcode strings which we don't need to translate this way..."

Could you provide a screenshot of an example of post-content strings that are visible in the editor but missing in the XLIFF file? Thanks

October 22, 2019 at 9:03 am #4800601

sebastianK-50

Hi there,

I've attached you a screenshot of how the xliff file looks like.

There are is no post-content in the filte which the translation agency can translate.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

October 22, 2019 at 9:16 am #4800643

Yvette
Supporter

And what does this page look like
- on the fronend
- in the backend editor

Thanks for that - then I can go find the right resource to get an answer to your question.

October 23, 2019 at 11:46 am #4810969

sebastianK-50

Hi,

pls look at this site: hidden link
the other site had only dynamic content shortcodes.

I've attached you screenshots of the xliff data and the backend of the page.

Thanks,
Sebastian

October 23, 2019 at 12:09 pm #4811181

Yvette
Supporter

I see.

The only thing I can think of to offer you is that your selected professional Tranlsation Services partner consider integrating with WPML
https://wpml.org/documentation/content-translation/

Or, alternatively, you could also consider using services that are already integrated here:
https://wpml.org/translation-service/

The advantage I see of doing this is that our tools already know how to "strip" the various shortcode notation to only offer the page content strings. From what you show me and from what I know of the way pagebuilders work, that is indeed what is stored in the database wp-content.

I wait for your comments.

October 23, 2019 at 1:33 pm #4811963

sebastianK-50

This means we can't export the content as plain text that the translation agency can translate it properly?

Thanks
S

October 23, 2019 at 1:43 pm #4812057

Yvette
Supporter

Our tools export the wp-post-content. Our Translation Editor is capable of "stripping" the pagebuilder shortcodes and only present the strings inside the shortcodes.

Since our tasks are focused on translating (not on exporting), we don´t have a tool to offer you apart from the Tranlsation Management system that I mentioned above.

If you are looking for an export tool - you could look at WP ALL Export. We do have a bridge plugin that works with WP ALL *IMPORT*, so maybe that would be of interest to you.

To be concise, our plugin does not offer any other "export" type of feature.

The topic ‘[Closed] Export Pages for Translation’ is closed to new replies.