This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
February 28, 2019 at 3:40 pm #3256295

wimV-7

I am trying to: Export a complete XLIFF file for translation

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: see screenshots in attachement (translations still in draft mode)

I expected to see: Complete XLIFF file, not missing any text that needs to be translated.

Instead, I got: An incomplete file. Our translators did the translation and I found out that whole chunks of texts have not been translated. The translators confirmed that this is because the files they received did not contain these texts. There are many files with such issues, I provided and example of what the half-translated page looks like and an example of what the translator sees when they open that XLIFF file. Text is indeed missing. Please note that when I sent these files for translation ALL my plugins, theme, etc. were completely up to date (I made sure that all updates are in place before generating XLIFFs).

March 1, 2019 at 1:11 pm #3260765

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can I ask you something:
- open any of these pages you've sent to translation service
- open them using Classic Translation Editor (WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages)

Do you see missing fields from XLIFF in Classic Translation Editor, or are they not there as well? Because whatever shows up in Classic Translation Editor, should appear in XLIFF as well and hence sent to translators.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 5, 2019 at 8:16 am #3272071

wimV-7

Hi Bruno,

I checked: the missing fields / text do NOT appear in the Classic Translation Editor either. So now it explains why the XLIFF files sent to the translators did not contain the missing parts. However, the issue of why they are missing in classic editor still remains. Do you have any ideas why this might be? Thanking you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Daria.

March 5, 2019 at 11:34 am #3273388

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, translators did not receive any of these texts I'm affraid. Therefore, let's try the following:

- can you update WPML and its addons to the latest versions and check then?
- how are you creating pages - are you using some sort of visual builder, custom fields or something else?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 6, 2019 at 12:39 pm #3278982

wimV-7

Hi Bruno,

I currently use Classic Editor to add/edit posts and pages and I am running Avada theme. I am not using neither the Gutenberg Editor to build pages, nor the Avada Fusion Builder. For the moment, I use the Classic Editor in WordPress together with the integrated Avada Fusion Builder Element Generator to create the layout and visually appealing design.

I will go ahead and update the plugins, as per your suggestion, but because we follow an update schedule, I will not be able to provide any feedback on whether the update solved the issue until Tuesday next week.

Many thanks,
Daria.

March 6, 2019 at 1:06 pm #3279109

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

No problem, the ticket will remain open.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 12, 2019 at 11:54 am #3321791

wimV-7

Hi Bruno,

I updated WPML, Translation Management & String Translation that we are using. I also updated WordPress to the latest version + other unrelated plugins, such as Yoast SEO just to be sure that everything is up to date. I followed the steps with the Classic Translation Editor that you described above, and the same problem remains: in the Classic Translation Editor some text is still missing... Please advise how to proceed.

March 12, 2019 at 11:57 am #3321795

wimV-7

Bruno, one more thing: not all translations are missing text. There are a couple that I tested and they are OK, meaning that XLIFF files were generated correctly for some posts & pages but not for others for some reason.

March 12, 2019 at 1:46 pm #3322983

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Missing fields that appear on some and don't appear on others - are these the fields of the same type?

Can you also try the following:
- open original page (for which XLIFF is missing text), click update (make some minor change) and then open them in CTE, do these fields appear then?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 12, 2019 at 3:32 pm #3324641

wimV-7

Hi Bruno,

Checked. No change - the text still does not appear. Although now, something else is happening. When I open the CTE, I don't see the text that I want to see as available for translation BUT now some (not all) text that has already been translated is marked as incomplete although when I preview the post, the text that is marked as incomplete is translated and appears translated...

Regarding the fields - it seems that the answer is yes. For example, in a few posts I use Avada Fusion Builder Elements code for separating the layout into columns. So in one post the text that is in, say, Column 1, is fully translated and in another post - text that is also in Column 1 is only partially translated. I added 2 screenshots - Ex1 is where everything is translated. The system recognized that there is column content which needs to be translated, all OK. Ex 2 - there is supposed to be column content to be translated appearing in the area highlighted in yellow. But it does not, as if it's not there.

March 12, 2019 at 4:33 pm #3326455

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

In order to debug this issue further quickly, would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username so I could investigate the issue directly? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Also, can you give me URLs for the pages from your previous reply? I'd like to check how are custom fields set for both of these, perhaps that sheds some light on this.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 14, 2019 at 12:38 pm #3344443

wimV-7

Hi Bruno,

Absolutely, I was going to propose the same. I will give you access but for the moment I am doing some things on our website and I must finish them before I do the final back-up and provide you access to test. I can provide you access on Monday, 18/03. Could you please mark my next reply as private as well so I can give you all the necessary info on Monday? I will also provide all the URLs, etc. in my next reply.

Thanking you in advance,
Sincerely,
Daria.

March 14, 2019 at 2:16 pm #3345337

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Done - your next reply is marked as private.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 25, 2019 at 1:40 pm #3454079

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can you check this? I am not sure if this is the case for all the posts and pages in question, however, for this one when I opened it, Fusion builder wasn't active and I was able to see only plain generated text and shortcodes.

But after I activated it and clicked update, it seems as if the number of texts doubled and that's what XLIFF files should see now.

Can you test for others and let me know how it goes?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 1, 2019 at 12:30 pm #3507919

wimV-7

Hi Bruno, thank you for this. Last week, after receiving your message, I checked the post that you tested. Indeed, the file showed the completed text. However, I tried a few days later to go over the other posts/pages to see, as you suggested, if the proposed solution would work for other posts/pages, but now I am stuck because, for some reason, I cannot filter for the jobs I want under Translations (see attached screenshot) and cannot generate the required XLIFF files to see if they also contain the full text. I am just not able to filter properly, so I cannot proceed. Could you please re-login and check? The screen under WPML > Translations seems to be "stuck" - only filter available is to see pages translated from English to German, I cannot choose posts vs pages and filter by language, so I don't see any jobs that I want to test. Many thanks!