Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kevinG-22 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
August 31, 2020 at 4:59 pm #6909191

kevinG-22

Tell us what you are trying to do?
we have existing french posts that I need to link up to existing English posts. the old site for some reason did not have WPML so they had two sites with same content but in two languages.
i have imported both English and french into the new site, but I'm unable to hook the English up with the french? how do I just link the two together?

Is there any documentation that you are following? no

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

September 1, 2020 at 8:37 pm #6919557

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hey there,

It's possible to manually connect a translated post to its original version by following the steps:

- Go the the Posts screen and edit one of the translated posts
- In the "Language" section on the right bar, select the correct language of this post and update it
- Reload the page and click on "Connect with translation"
- Search for the post on the original language that you want to connect to and click on ok
- Click on "Assign" in the next window that will show up
- Update the post once more

Alternatively, you can bulk link the translations by using a combination of WP All Export and WP All Import.

You'll have to do it in two steps, first you need to export the translated content using WP All Export.

With the generated CSV/XML file, you then need to add a column to the exported file with the connector that indicates what's the original post that that record belongs to.

After doing it, you'll be able to import the file you prepared and the translated items will be linked to their original posts.

There's a very detailed walkthrough showing how to export multilingual websites using WP All Export and WPML, it is available here: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-wpml/

This other one will demonstrate how to use WP All Import: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

I hope this documentation helps.

Please let us know if we can help you with something else.

Best regards,

Mateus

September 2, 2020 at 1:46 pm #6926587

kevinG-22

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!