Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: What can I do to optimize WPML performance?

Solution: WPML 4.3 version solved the performance issues that some sites experienced. Updating to the latest version of WPML and its add-ons should resolve the problem.

If you are still running into performance problems, first follow our FAQ entry about preventing performance issues with WPML. This FAQ includes a number of simple steps to follow.

In case you want to profile your site's performance and get to the bottom of performance problems, follow the guide for debugging performance problems.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 7 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
March 28, 2019 at 4:11 pm

adrian-rS

I have read ALL the forum questions regarding my issue and done everyhting:
- Auto ID adjust state (WPML > Languages)
- Track where strings appear (WPML > String translation)
- Auto register strings(WPML > String translation)
I use W3 cache plugin, op cache,mem cache... my site is super fast without wpml on, it really worries me. I can´t work, everyhting is so slow!
I have done +30 translations, everything was ready in local host and normal in speed, and when I migrate to my hosting with wpml this happens..
I sue the query monitor and the main problem is on the string translations ( i think), but even with all your suggestions, can´t make it work,
Obviously I cant work like this, and if there is no way around it, I will need my refund.
Please contact me as soon as possible. Tell me if you need ftp access or admin credentials
Hope to hear from you soon
Regards
Adrian

March 29, 2019 at 2:15 pm #3492059

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you do the following:
- using Debug Objects, create a list of queries and get page generation times on your server and prepare a report using:
https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-debug-performance-problems/#reporting-your-results-via-wpml-technical-forum

Please also send information related to page generation times from various pages (front end and the backend), with WPML being activated and deactivated.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 1, 2019 at 6:52 pm #3511011

adrian-rS

Hello Bruno
After installing the debug objects plugin and checking on the bd query check box I get a 500 error, so I can´t use what is being proposed. I really need assistance on this, I can´t work like this. I use the query monitor ( I think is almost the same) so you can enter the site and check that it is wpml string and more makes this mess. And the front end is a little slow, but the back end is what is extremely slow.
Hope to hear form you soon.
Regards

April 2, 2019 at 11:32 am #3516527

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I can indeed see a huge difference which happens upon String Translation activation. When WPML and other plugins are active, it is equally fast in my view.

I've checked:
hidden link

And I can see 27 000 strings inside. Have you translated these and are using these translations? If not, can I suggest this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-slows-down-page-loading-speed-2/#post-2589634
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-slows-website-down-enormously/#post-799176

Also, in WPML > String Translation, you can remove all strings that are not being translated - some you may not even need.

This can be done through database much faster:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/#string-translation

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 3, 2019 at 7:29 pm #3530175

adrian-rS

I´m sorry, but I dont understad... all of the 27 000 strings are translated ( not by me, I've only translated my page), so I don't know what to do left. the articles you send didn't help at all, since I'm not a programmer and I don't quite follow the instructions. As you can see wpml is the issue here and I really need support on this. I have read all in the forums and nothing worked. I don´t know what steps to take next.
I need real support, please try to fix it, I'm helpless here. If you can´t please tell me how to make a refund,... (which will suck for me since I have invested a lot of time in translating my page).
The thing is that it can´t be that with a compatible theme (jupiter) and only installing wpml i get the slowest page...
please help
hope to hear from you soon
Regards
adrian

April 4, 2019 at 12:29 pm #3534841

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

There is one thing we could try - delete unused strings from the String Translation table. This is how this can be done:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/icl_string_translations-table-huge-containing-wp-core-strings-for-all-languages/#post-1426357

But before this, go to WPML -> String translation -> Auto register strings for translation and remove string from all of these domains that you will not be translating.

Please make a full backup of your site before trying this or make these changes on a staging/development site first and then thoroughly check it! Make a backup in a way that you can restore database quickly and easily in case something goes wrong.

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

since I'm not a programmer and I don't quite follow the instructions.

However, based on this, can you tell me you have a staging/demo site where you can try this or where I could try this for you? Can you reach out to your hosting company if they can provide this? Let me know!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 4, 2019 at 4:51 pm #3537077

adrian-rS

Bruno:
Thanks a lot for your help!
I've replicated my site in hidden link with the same credentials. There you can make the tests you need to solve this issue.
About the unused strings, I don´t know where to put this query: "DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0;" ...
I'm assuming: phpmyadmin>my db>.... but I wouldn't know which table to look for > I suppose the query goes there. but have no clue.
Tell me please if you could enter the site correctly to perform your
thanks
adrian

April 5, 2019 at 8:02 am #3541881

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I'm assuming: phpmyadmin>my db>

Yes, this is where you would do it. If you open database with phpMyAdmin, you don't have to open any particular table, as this query will work globally for the database.

However, make sure to:

- before this, go to WPML -> String translation -> Auto register strings for translation and remove the setting from all of these domains that you will not be translating
- make sure you are performing a query on the correct database (you can check with wp-config.php file if you are doing it on a correct database)
-- hidden link

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 8, 2019 at 8:52 pm #3561281

adrian-rS

Hello Bruno
First I exported my site to localhost to perform the changes. I did the query: DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0; and had 8,111 rows affected (see with query.png), and that did lower the time on the query monitor, but I still have 19.920 strings ( instead of the 27,000... So I guess we are on the right track, but I still feel that there is a lot of garbage slowing my site.
If you see without query.png, that will be the page as we left it in my original hosting, and with query 2.png is the localhost backup once migrated, you can see that the times improved, without cleaning.png is 22.91 s and with query2.png is still high. ( think this number must be below 1 s like my page was before.

I did the other recommendation also, but I don´t see any improvement.
So far I've done everything proposed, please enter my WP Back end and experience the slowness for your self. check out the query monitor to see what else is slowing everything. I f you make the test of turning off all 4 wpml plugins and see the difference ( less that 1 s in query monitor)

I wait for further assistance please
Thanks

April 8, 2019 at 9:02 pm
April 9, 2019 at 9:23 am #3564839

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

think this number must be below 1 s like my page was before.

I don't think it is possible to have the same loading time with and without WPML (especially in the backend, where all the plugins load their settings), because WPML does add some load (as any other plugin does).

But as for clearing String Translation table giving some improvements, we still have about 18000 strings there that require loading time (I think it goes in batches of 500-1000 per query).

Basically, within String Translation, I believe that these are the only strings that you need for your site (based on how much of these you are using, though) - see image. These page-builder shortcodes keep the translation data of the pages translated using translation editor, for pages created through some page builder. There seem to be around 250 string only.

So on a test site, you could wipe up all the other strings as well, based on their domain and check your site then. If you open icl_string table, you can see which context they have and write few queries like:

DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE `context` = 'continents-cities';

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 12, 2019 at 8:33 pm #3601783

adrian-rS

Hello Bruno, I hope you are ok.
Sorry for not answering , but I went through a minor surgery...
Now I had the time to do all yo proposed and I´ve seen a huge improvement. But I will like yopu to enter my wp admin again just to check out and see if everything is ok and if there is any other recommendation I could use.

Thanks for all your help
regards

April 15, 2019 at 7:12 am #3610269

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

No worries at all - hopefully all went well on your side!

As for this:

But I will like yopu to enter my wp admin again just to check out and see if everything is ok and if there is any other recommendation I could use.

I've looked back and forth and I see nothing I can suggest further. The only thing is that if you'll install new plugins, make sure to disable these from String Translation before these get indexed (so before plugin activation).

There will be improvements on how String Translation works in the upcoming versions (especially related to performance), but I can't give any specifics on this or possible dates.

Regards,
Bruno Kos