This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 28, 2019 at 8:55 am

pladosS

I am trying to: Most products are not translated. I want to see them in 2ndary language Categories and navigate normally as I would in the main language. Other language's Categories product count is 0.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: N/A (under construction)
I see all products available and they're not associated to categories. Not sure about other attributes.

I expected to see:
Navigation through categories/attributes/filters just like main language, showing translated products/categories/attributes where available, or otherwise fallback to original language.

Instead, I got:
either all products available, or if within a category, no product at all.

To expand:
I have gone through troubleshooting settings on both WPML and WooCommerce, did recount term anywhere I could find it and have read support threads for a while about this issue.

At this point I believe it's a setting or something I am disregarding.

I tried translating one product and I had to put category again (weirdly?) but that one product does show up in the category count.

June 28, 2019 at 10:34 am #4106573

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I have checked your website and set up - you did nothing wrong and everything is set properly. However there is one thing - you have translated all the categories into Italian, but now that they are translated, they cannot be connected with original products because these are not the same categories anymore to which original products are assigned to and the fallback doesn't apply. Hopefully it makes sense?

That is why there is one product showing up - the one you translated:

I tried translating one product and I had to put category again (weirdly?) but that one product does show up in the category count.

In other words, currently the only thing that works is "all or nothing" - meaning that you either use the option to fallback to original products or you translate them all - products and taxonomies. So there is a workaround:

- Do not translate the category if products are not translated
OR
- Translate (or duplicate) the product if the category is translated

The workaround is there because this has been reported as a bug, but has not been resolved yet. It has been reported in very few tickets so far so it may have not taken precendce over more serious bugs reported by a larger number of other users.

But since you have already translated categories and I imagine that it took a certain amount of work, you could try duplicating products in bulk - you could perhaps try setting 40, 50 or more in a batches (see my image) so that you can make all the duplicates quickly.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/#batch-duplicating

If you plan to add more products in the future, you can consider this:
https://wpml.org/wpml-hook/wpml_admin_make_post_duplicates/

Regards,
Bruno Kos