This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.69 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices.

Last updated by Alberto 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
February 25, 2019 at 8:17 pm #3241861

christoforosA

I am trying to: Install the plugin

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: plugin installed

Instead, I got: Fatal error: COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4

February 26, 2019 at 6:33 am #3243228

Dennis
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Manila (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

Are you able to activate WPML plugin somehow? I suppose you haven't done any translation yet since you're just installing the plugin..right? Please confirm.

If that's the case, I would recommend re-installing WPML and its addon plugins. Before re-installing WPML your have to RESET it first. To do it please follow these steps.

NOTE: Please make secure a complete backup of your site before proceeding anything.

-Go to WPML>>Support page
-Click on Troubleshooting link (link in the middle of the page)
-head down to the bottom of the page. On the 'Reset' section, click 'I am about to reset all translation and language data.'
-click 'Reset and deactivate WPML'

-on Plugins page, deactivate all other WPML plugins.
-Delete all WPML plugins.
-download fresh copies of WPML plugin at wpml.org
-install/activate WPML

Does it help? Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Dennis

February 26, 2019 at 6:52 am #3243238

christoforosA

Hi Denis,

What you ask me to do is what exactly I did. Before the reset process I was not getting the fatal error but I was getting a warning which was asking me to to troubleshoot. I followed the steps of troubleshooting and reset the WPNL, that is when I started getting warnings.

February 26, 2019 at 8:11 am #3243433

maximilianR-8

i have the same problem. I installed a new version of wordpress (5.1.)
After installing the Plugin (WPML Multilingual CMS) i am not able to activate the application.

Fatal error: COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4' in /mnt/... sitepress-schema.php on line 357

February 26, 2019 at 8:37 am #3243495

stefanH-7

Same Problem here. I already had this error with the version before wordpress 5.1 (5.0.3).
I guess it might be a general error with the latest Version of WPML *sigh*.

February 26, 2019 at 8:56 am #3243569

stefanH-7

Addition: Using Version 4.2.1 did the trick. Version 4.2.2 throws the Error. I'll keep the older Version for now until the Problem is fixed.

February 26, 2019 at 9:02 am #3243595

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Kindly create a new ticket if you still need assistance so our colleagues are able to help you with your issue.

Kind regards,
Dennis

February 26, 2019 at 9:03 am #3243596

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your test site to take better look at the issue. Could you please indicate me how to replicate this behaviour ?

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is Okay for you.

*Important: Be sure to backup your site and database first before you proceed!
You can use a plugin for this if you like. You can use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose.
See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Kind regards,
Dennis

February 26, 2019 at 9:15 am #3243666

alanC-20

same problem with latest version of wpml and latest version of wordpress installed

February 26, 2019 at 11:03 am #3244363

sgameS

I have the same problem: Fatal error: COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4' in /home/po37kebi/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/setup/sitepress-schema.php on line 357

Please publish a solution for everybody, thank you.

February 26, 2019 at 12:55 pm #3244858

edwinR-8

Same error (Fatal error: COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4' in /home/panamacanalpilot/public_html/en/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/setup/sitepress-schema.php on line 357) when trying to activate the "WPML Multilingual CMS" plugin.

Please find a quick solution.

February 26, 2019 at 1:01 pm #3244923

Alberto

Same problem:
1) Update WP to 5.1
2) Update CMS Multilingual
3) Update String Translation

and after this:

WordPress database error: [COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4']
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `C8safv8D2_eomGf_icl_string_packages` ( `ID` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `kind_slug` varchar(160) NOT NULL, `kind` varchar(160) NOT NULL, `name` varchar(160) NOT NULL, `title` varchar(160) NOT NULL, `edit_link` TEXT NOT NULL, `view_link` TEXT NOT NULL, `post_id` INTEGER DEFAULT NULL, `word_count` VARCHAR(2000) DEFAULT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (`ID`) ) DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

February 27, 2019 at 1:05 am #3247788

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Update: We have recently released WPML 4.2.3 with the fix database collation error. Could you please update WPML and check if the issue is resolved?

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Dennis

February 27, 2019 at 6:33 am #3248557

Cyrille Sabatier

It's works for me 😉
Thanks

February 27, 2019 at 8:27 am #3248870

maximilianR-8

Thx, the update fixed the problem.