This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
April 15, 2019 at 8:33 am #3611093

Mikkel Bonde Christensen

I am trying to:
Install the plugin again after an update that crashed the site. I uploaded the latest version of the plugin via FTP. When i try to activate the plugin, i get the error.

Error:
Fatal error: COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4' in /sites/www.apacta.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/setup/sitepress-schema.php on line 359

I tried to reset, but it didn't help.

April 15, 2019 at 10:20 am #3612351

Mikkel Bonde Christensen

The fix plugin didn't work :/

April 15, 2019 at 9:42 pm #3616603

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Please check your database to see if the tables and rows all have the same collation. Also, look in the wp-config.php file - if you see anywhere that collation is set here, please comment it out and then see if you are able to activate WPML.

Please let me know the results.

April 16, 2019 at 7:42 am #3619233

Mikkel Bonde Christensen

In what tables do you want to know it?

We have no signs of WPML in our database, nor wp-config file.

April 16, 2019 at 3:42 pm #3623643

Lauren
Supporter

What version of WPML are you trying to install? Instead of trying to install via FTP, what happens if you download a fresh copy of WPML and try to install it via the plugins interface?

You should check to see if all of your database tables have the same collation. Also, in wp-config, there would not be a reference to WPML but there may be a reference to setting collation type. If so, comment it out before trying to install WPML again.

Please let me know the results.

April 17, 2019 at 6:22 am #3627481

Mikkel Bonde Christensen

I have downloaded the latest version from your site: sitepress-multilingual-cms.4.2.5.

I just tried to upload via the control panel and got the same error.

I will check with my developer again :-).

April 17, 2019 at 12:51 pm #3630917

Lauren
Supporter

Sounds good, let me know what the developer says. Also, if possible, try installing WPML with all other plugins deactivated and a default theme such as Twenty Nineteen, and see if that makes any difference.

April 23, 2019 at 7:03 am #3659851

Mikkel Bonde Christensen

There is no reference to collation type in wp-config, it's all default with setting it to an empty string so mysql can figure it out itself.
We have lots of tables created by various plugins that are not touched by WPML, I guess those tables' collation does not matter? Some of them are hardcoded from plugin authors it seems.

April 23, 2019 at 4:45 pm #3666311

Lauren
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

April 24, 2019 at 7:09 am #3669747

Mikkel Bonde Christensen

We are using SFTP and key files to access our server.
Can you send an SSH key we can use temporarily?

April 24, 2019 at 12:24 pm #3672681

Lauren
Supporter

To best troubleshoot the issue, please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

April 24, 2019 at 5:21 pm #3675501

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending the duplicator snapshot. I was able to install and activate WPML on the local copy of your site without any problem. Here is what I did:
1. Go to Plugins and disable all plugins
2. From the plugins dashboard, select all WPML plugins and from the bulk options menu, select delete
3. Go to http://www.wpml.org/account/downloads and download latest version 4.2.6
4. Go to Plugins -> Add New and install and activate the plugin. I did not get an error.

After that, I went to Plugins -> Add New and clicked on the Commercial tab. From here, I was able to install and activate each add on. I did it one at a time to make sure none of them threw an error.

If you have followed these steps exactly and are still getting an error, please ask your hosting provider to check the server logs, maybe something there will point to the cause of the error.