Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Solution:Within your database, there are a lot of tables also set to 'utf8_unicode_ci' which is what I believe is causing this issue.

The user was able to resolve the issue by doing the following:

Exported the DB. Changed ALL occurrences of utf8 to utf8mb4. (that step was tricky) Imported the DB. Could enable the plugin without issue.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sebastienM-23 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 27, 2019 at 3:17 pm #4834763

sebastienM-23

I am trying to:install WPML (WPML Multilingual CMS)

I get the error:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.
Fatal error: COLLATION 'utf8_unicode_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4' in <snip>\wp-content\plugins\sitepress-multilingual-cms\inc\setup\sitepress-schema.php on line 362

Latest wordpress (5.2.4)
WPMLMultilingual CMS v4.3.1 (I tried all versions down to 4.2.3)

October 29, 2019 at 12:45 am #4843381

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hi There,

Indeed this issue was resolved in 4.2.3 but 4.3.1 should also include the fix in the code.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed I recommend taking FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

October 29, 2019 at 9:05 pm #4851569

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Thank you for the access details!

While reviewing your wp-config.php file I can see the following.

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define( 'DB_CHARSET', 'utf8' );

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define( 'DB_COLLATE', 'utf8_general_ci' );

Within your database, there are a lot of tables also set to 'utf8_unicode_ci' which is what I believe is causing this issue.

At the moment I have changed the above code to

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define( 'DB_CHARSET', 'utf8mb4' );

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define( 'DB_COLLATE', 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci' );

1. If possible please go through your database and change the tables set to 'utf8_unicode_ci' to 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci'

Example of a SQL Query below:

ALTER TABLE intranet_commentmeta CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;

2. If you wish also contact your host provider as well as they might be able to do this for you from their side as well.

October 30, 2019 at 12:50 pm #4855737

sebastienM-23

Exported the DB.
Changed ALL occurrences of utf8 to utf8mb4. (that step was tricky)
Imported the DB.
Could enable the plugin without issue.

Thanks!