This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices.

Last updated by andrea 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
August 31, 2016 at 2:57 pm #1046955

Speciale

After upgrade WPML String Translation from 2.3.7 to 2.4.1.1 site goes down.

www . hotelbaiaimperiale . com

If I restore previous version 2.3.7 WPML String Translation site works.

Wordpress is up to date, all other plugins are up to date

/wp-admin/edit.php
-------------
InvalidArgumentException thrown
Translation name cannot be empty
-------------

Home page goes in empty page or

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'InvalidArgumentException' with message 'Translation name cannot be empty' in /home/content/91/9126791/html/hotelbaiaimperiale.com/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php:107 Stack trace: #0 /home/content/91/9126791/html/hotelbaiaimperiale.com/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php(44): WPML_ST_Page_Translation->validate_values('33', 0, 'Panel') #1 /home/content/91/9126791/html/hotelbaiaimperiale.com/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-db-translation-retrieve.php(154): WPML_ST_Page_Translation->__construct('33', 0, 'Panel', 'hidden1', false, '') #2 /home/content/91/9126791/html/hotelbaiaimperiale.com/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-db-translation-retrieve.php(132): WPML_ST_DB_Translation_Retrieve->build_translation(Array, 0, 'Panel', '') #3 /home/content/91/9126791/html/h in /home/content/91/9126791/html/hotelbaiaimperiale.com/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php on line 107

September 1, 2016 at 7:20 am #1048171

Dat Hoang

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

These info is private, and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

We'd like to to request the permission to disable, enable and install themes and plugins for this site. Please accept this?

September 1, 2016 at 10:27 am #1053034

Dat Hoang

Thanks your info.

I will check this more and get back to you soon.

FYI: I installed Duplicator and got a copy of your site. I will use it to clone your site, and check the issue on the cloned site.

September 1, 2016 at 3:15 pm #1053938

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello, I am George from second tier support.
Thank you for reporting this issue to us.
I have escalated it to our developers.

As a workaround, you can go to: \plugins\wpml-string-translation\classes\filters\db-cache\class-wpml-st-page-translation.php
and there near the bottom in the function: validate_values()
You can comment out the code:

if ( empty( $name ) ) {
			throw new InvalidArgumentException( 'Translation name cannot be empty' );
		}
September 2, 2016 at 12:21 am #1054577

Dat Hoang

Thanks George.

@Speciale: Please try that workaround and update us about the result.

September 2, 2016 at 7:55 am #1055437

Speciale

Ok, it works. You'll fix in next release? Why $name is empty? What happened?
Thanks.

September 2, 2016 at 3:10 pm #1056671

Igor

Same issue here. Solved commenting code. Will this be fixed?

September 12, 2016 at 6:06 am #1073874

Dat Hoang

FYI: This is still in our queue for fixing.
At the moment, I would say the upcoming release will not include the fix for this.

Will update more if I have any other info.

October 12, 2016 at 7:40 am #1113454

Lorenz

A month later and the same problem here. The fix helped but please don't forget about. Thank you!

October 16, 2016 at 9:46 pm #1116350

babakR

Hi to all,

I have the same issue also.
On my development environment on Windows OS, I had not this issue.

But when deployed on production environment, on Linux OS I had this issue.
By commenting the line, I succeed in activating the plugin, but performances were horrible and my website got down after 5 minutes...

I did a rollback and can't figure why on Windows I didn't have problems with this plugin and with performance.

January 8, 2018 at 6:58 pm #1476975

David

Same issue, happened just now. Is there a cleanup that can be done in the database? It looks supposedly like corrupted data, but version after version, the issue will be there.

May 31, 2019 at 7:18 am #3928243

Michael

It seems this is not fixed yet. I'm having this same issue with the latest WPML (4.2.6) and String Stranslation (2.10.4).

July 24, 2019 at 7:46 am #4271129

andrea

Same here as Michael